CPU performing way worse than it should

Mixzzz

Ok, so my friend got Lenovo Y700-15ACZ (AMD 8800P, r7m 385x) and the CPU is 2x slower in benchmarks than his old laptop(i5 5200u, 940m) although it should be ~20% faster according to benchmarks. The GPU performs like it should about 2.5x better. However games run much worse than before. At idle the CPU shows like 30% load although nothing in task manager details tab shows up using that much.... Any ideas? Im sure it has to do something with the windows.

PS. Windows is fully updated, running on the fall creators build. It felt like this out of the box before I even updated it.

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

5 minutes ago, Mixzzz said:

Ok, so my friend got Lenovo Y700-15ACZ (AMD 8800P, r7m 385x) and the CPU is 2x slower in benchmarks than his old laptop(i5 5200u, 940m) although it should be ~20% faster according to benchmarks. The GPU performs like it should about 2.5x better. However games run much worse than before. At idle the CPU shows like 30% load although nothing in task manager details tab shows up using that much.... Any ideas? Im sure it has to do something with the windows.

PS. Windows is fully updated, running on the fall creators build. It felt like this out of the box before I even updated it.

thermal throttling maybe?

CPU: i5 7600k 4.3GHz GPU: Strix 1060 6GB SSD: WD GREEN 128GB HHD: WD BLUE 1TB

disable cpu core parking, and you should disable power saving for cpu so that frequency stays at 100% all the time but the fact that its a laptop will destroy its battery without cpu power saving

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager-v3

but first you should check your temperature during games/benchmark and the frequency of the cpu, if temperature is high like 50-60 for the cpu and the frequency is low like 1-2ghz then you have temperature and performance throttling

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

disable cpu core parking, and you should disable power saving for cpu so that frequency stays at 100% all the time but the fact that its a laptop will destroy its battery without cpu power saving

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager-v3

but first you should check your temperature during games/benchmark and the frequency of the cpu, if temperature is high like 50-60 for the cpu and the frequency is low like 1-2ghz then you have temperature and performance throttling

When GPU and CPU are under stress it does throttle the CPU a little, but it doesnt when only the CPU is under load and I was testing only CPU when I was benchmarking it so thermals wont be a problem...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen