Why PC, Why Apple, Why PS4 Why Android?

oldSock

the only problem that i see there is that your country sucks. Drawing from there the conclusion that X is better then Y makes no sense. If in my country there ore no petrol that would not make biking better then cars, just that my country sucks.

31 minutes ago, oldSock said:

First and foremost if you are part of the PC master race you belong to 3 groups. The first being Microsoft OS, the Second being

Linux OS and the Third is Steam OS and yes we can add a forth and a firth but at this point i digress.

Uh no, almost everyone who games is on windows, a very small percentage of people use linux, and almost nobody uses steam OS.

Almost all games are made to run on windows.

First lets look at software optimization. This is something that both Apple and PS4 is known for. They build hardware to run their

software and in Apple's case you can run Apple OS 'that may or many not be illegal' on a none apple system and get good or

even better performance.

What about all the programs and games which are only made for windows and are not available on apple or console?

Oh right, you can't use them at all.

Now how does PS4 come into the picture. Well the same rule apply. You get a PS4 with it the PS4 infrastructure that include updates 

a online store and every game you buy for the PS4 will work on the PS4. No need to get the latest and greatest GPU. It just works 

and lest be serious for a moment. Something that works nearly all the time and have a reasonable hardware isn't a bad thing.

You don't need the latest and greatest GPU to game on PC either.

Tons of gamers are using cheap midrange or low end GPUs from like 5 years ago.

Sounds like you think all PC gamers have a super expensive gaming system, which is completely wrong.

And guess what? your PS1 and PS2 games aren't compatible on PS4, but games made for windows from 10 years ago still work.

It is about infrastructure.

In my country it is nearly impossible to get a credit card. Also for some unknown reason prepaid credit cards are not a option.

So we are left with gift cards.

Now Android support gift cards in my country. Apple support gift cards in my country. PS4 support gift cards in my country.

The BIGGEST name there is MICROSOFT. Only supports gift cards to Xbox and software like Microsoft Office. We do not

have access to normal gift cards. Thus the while Microsoft infrastructure is useless to nearly anyone with a basic income. 

So do you also buy food with gift cards? How do you buy gift cards? With more gift cards?

No, you use cash or debit.

Like you do with literally anything else you buy.

Example a lot of children never played Minecraft ON PC simply because they cannot get access to the Microsoft store and or 

Minecraft gift cards.

Minecraft on the windows store is free, you do not need any "gift card" to buy it.

Minecraft from mojang (the full edition) is not free, and it is also not on windows store. You buy it from mojang.

Now i can also mention that since PC games are heavily dependent on downloads "unlike many but not all PS4 games" that to

becomes a real problem especially when we are limited to "one of the most expensive data providers in the world". What does

that mean? Simply put it means relative to our income our internet is scary expensive. Also lack of access does add to the

frustration.

Image result for console downloading update 60gb

Do you think console games don't use any data and magically work without internet?

Honestly either this person has no idea how consoles and computers work, or it's just another troll...

Probably the latter with only 5 posts.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Snip

I was expecting some TLDR from someone or OP but this works better

21 minutes ago, oldSock said:

the Second being Linux OS and the Third is Steam OS

SteamOS is Linux.

22 minutes ago, oldSock said:

First lets look at software optimization. This is something that both Apple and PS4 is known for.

I don't know anything about the PS4, but the thing about MacOS software being more optimized isn't really true. I don't know about Windows, but it's not in any way more significantly optimized than software on Linux. In fact, you can do more software optimization on Linux than MacOS if you use a distro like Gentoo, but there really isn't much of a speed difference at that point. The way most Linux distros compile their software packages is enough.

29 minutes ago, oldSock said:

In Apple's case 'as example' there are software that you can buy on 

the Apple store that runs well with the Apple device. Not only does it run well it runs with little or no problems. There are a number

of software tools that loves to crash on Windows OS but seems to be more stable on Apple.

Sorry, but this tells me you don't know much about how software is made and that you haven't actually used that much software. The truth is, the developer of the app determines the app's stability way more than the developer of the OS. There is plenty of crashy software, even crashy professional software, for every OS. Even with all that, what's buggy for one person may not be buggy for someone else or their workflow many not reveal the bugs.

That's all I have time to respond to for now.

8 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Sorry, but this tells me you don't know much about how software is made and that you haven't actually used that much software. The truth is, the developer of the app determines the app's stability way more than the developer of the OS. There is plenty of crashy software, even crashy professional software, for every OS. Even with all that, what's buggy for one person may not be buggy for someone else or their workflow many not reveal the bugs.

I would say from a business perspective it makes more sense to prioritise development for iOS (if we are talking about Mobile Software) as the Apple Users are just more likely to pay / spend more on apps. Thats the only reason I see why some apps are just better for iOS (or released first on iOS). You just simply make more money (even if iOS has a smaller marketshare than Android, this shifts if you look at the sales figures of the AppStore vs GooglePlay store) 

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

Why PC? POWER and no matter what,it can achieve more checkmark than apple or console can.

Why apple? Mostly overpriced for what u get but yes its true about what u said that the software is better because its optimized for apple device but that doesnt mean that windows is inferior NO.

Sure sometimes u will deal with bugs,erorrs and whatnot but in the end there are always a fix for that well mostly.

Why ps4? EXCLUSIVES

Why android? Versatlity and the freedom to do what i want with my device.

TLDR: Your country sucks and u dont know what u are talking about

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

10 minutes ago, leodaniel said:

I would say from a business perspective it makes more sense to prioritise development for iOS (if we are talking about Mobile Software) as the Apple Users are just more likely to pay / spend more on apps. Thats the only reason I see why some apps are just better for iOS (or released first on iOS). You just simply make more money (even if iOS has a smaller marketshare than Android, this shifts if you look at the sales figures of the AppStore vs GooglePlay store) 

I've heard that for MacOS users, but never seen any data to support that. Linux gamers have also been more generous than other groups when paying for Humble Bundles, but that never became a significant reason to support Linux more. When Androids make up >= 85% of the global mobile OS market share, Apple users being willing to pay more isn't going to make that much of a difference. It's more likely that people who develop for iOS are either just familiar with the platform or see that the time and money required to develop an iOS version will have a good enough ROI to be worth it, regardless of whether or not Apple users are willing to pay more. It's not like mobile app piracy is rampant on any mobile OS.

59 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Steam OS

Erm...

Steam OS is kinda in the grey area between console and PC.  Yeah, it plays Steam games, but you can't do anything besides that, and it's only found on Steam Machines, which are basically consoles.

i do not have knoledge to be discussing what company optimizes more it's software. I know that my xbox 360 had a major hardware flaw, that i hated how apple made my ipod so difficult to work with, how nintendo time and time again abandons very quickly support for their products, it really seems like they do not make all the effort they could for customers to have more games. Android is really a shit show of optimization, and i use an android phone.

I guess i can't remember a complaint about sony and i had 3 of their consoles. I really have no oppinion on Linus, hardly ever used it.

PC is not windows, they are 2 different things. Things like windows 8 are abominations, but for the most part Windows is amazing, just ask why they have the market share they have despite so much hate, shit works, not very expensive, relatively open, lots of support.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

Erm...

Steam OS is kinda in the grey area between console and PC.  Yeah, it plays Steam games, but you can't do anything besides that, and it's only found on Steam Machines, which are basically consoles.

Not really true. SteamOS is really just Debian underneath. You can play non-Steam games on SteamOS and even use it like a regular Linux desktop OS.

Just now, noahdvs said:

Not really true. SteamOS is really just Debian underneath. You can play non-Steam games on SteamOS and even use it like a regular Linux desktop OS.

Huh.  I didn't know that you could use it like normal Linux.

3 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

When Androids make up >= 85% of the global mobile OS market share, Apple users being willing to pay more isn't going to make that much of a difference. 

Except it is. There are different numbers to compare here. Sales, actively used devices and total number of devices. If you consider that, there market share of android is smaller, recent estimates are around 70% or less. Depending on the sales figures, the AppStore made twice as much in sales compared to the Google play store (year 2016, from statista).

So I think it makes sense to prioritise app development on iOS (especially if you have limited resources) as the ROI will most probably just be higher...

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

Why Windows?

Pros: Because Windows is used by everyone and they're everywhere so most developers will devote their time to make apps and games for Windows. Windows is good for what it can do, be a desktop operating system for consumers and enterprise. And Windows is very easy to use if you've grown into it. If someone is still in Windows XP and would just transition right now to Windows 10, the learning curve is very little.

Cons: However, my gripes with Windows 10 is that it's a crappy touchscreen OS. So many people in this forum including Linus would whine on a laptop lacking a touchscreen but I don't think it's that much of a loss as Windows 8 and 10's touchscreen features is more of an afterthought. Copy pasting text from the browser to a text editor is very much hit or miss (mostly miss), even on tablet mode the touch keyboard requires a double tap just to be summoned and the UWP apps are not on par with it's iOS/Android counterparts when it comes to UX and performance. Also, traditional Win32 programs are mostly not optimized for touch use. And don't even get me started on their invasive telemetry practices as proven by the Dutch DPA that Windows 10 is NOT GDPR compliant and the forceful and nagging updates.

Why Mac?

Pros: Apple knows optimization and Macs excel in that. Macs have the best in industry multi-touch trackpads which is made better by the taptic engine (2015 MacBook Pro and MacBook and beyond). Unlike Windows, software updates on the Mac are less obtrusive and the software can take advantage of existing features. For example, iMovie (free) and FInal Cut Pro X ($300) is taking advantage of the Quick Sync core found in Intel processors plus the Metal 2 API which makes scrubbing timeliness, rendering and exporting videos much faster. Also, Mac laptops look way more premium in comparison to cheapo Windows laptops that are plastic, uses crappy TN panels with muted color gamut and abysmal hard drives. MacBooks on the other hand have great industrial feel with aluminum unibody design, high resolution wide angle IPS LCDs panels, zippy SSDs (newer ones use NVME), great battery life and an operating system that seems to be much smoother and it allows running Windows either natively (Bootcamp) or via virtualization (Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, Virtual Box). Also, most companies still don't have an AppleCare Protection Plan equivalent that offers global coverage.

Cons: Macs are expensive if you look into price to performance. Macs may have great catalog of apps that it can run but it's no match for the thousands you can run on Windows not to mention the Windows store has more apps that the ghost town Mac App Store. macOS's support on corporate environments is getting better but it still has so many quirks. A friend of mine told me years ago that even though Mac OS X Snow Leopard (2009) has native support for Microsoft Exchange Active Sync unlike Windows 7 which requires additional Outlook 2007/2010, it simply sucks in connecting to SMB servers and even today's macOS High Sierra still can't match the enterprise features of Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Server 2016. Also, Macs are usually the hardest to fix as everything is soldered to the motherboard so forget adding more RAM or storage.

Why iOS?

Pros: iOS is still the easiest pick up and play mobile operating system. iPhones tend to have a much longer support duration which includes rapid responses to vulnerabilities and exploits with timely software updates. So many people hated the iPhone's locked down environment but it does favors for them as there aren't many "in-the wild malware" for iOS. If there's one thing Apple does best is their own in-house silicon and it simply blows away Qualcomm's Snapdragon. I mean, who would have thought that the A11 Bionic SoC has a larger cache than the SD835? Also, so many apps written for iOS ran extremely well regardless of the iPhone and in turn, it has the most consistent user experience.

Cons: Apple has the tendency to take away features that users use for no valid reasons. Just look at their bullshit courage to remove the headphone jack in the iPhone 7/7+ or their removal of Touch ID in the iPhone X. iOS 11 alone is a different story as I consider it to be the shittiest iOS release ever. Inconsistent UI elements, frequent crashing of apps, etc although most of them squashed now but the mere fact that they decided to treat users as beta testers of a final release is pathetic and I think Craig Federhigi should be fire from Apple just like how they fired Scott Forstall over the crappy iOS 6 Maps. Also, since the OS is so locked down, even smallest aspects like placing my apps where I want still a nightmare and my god, the chronological notification center in iOS 11 is the worst. Gmail notifications would take up my entire lockscreen and music controls sort of became inconsistent between the control center and notification center. I still think widgets on Android is so much better than iOS and don't get me started on Apple's non-disclosure of throttling every update even for the right reasons.

Why Android?

I'll add later.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

IMO there is no single product that is always better for everyone (hoever there are crap that always worse for everyone), we looks for the one serve us better under our own circumstances.

If Mac and PS works for you, good for you. But others might found PC and Xbox works better for them, and it doesn't means they are wrong to choose something different.

I honestly don't know how is it still a thing to argue about.

7 hours ago, leodaniel said:

Except it is. There are different numbers to compare here. Sales, actively used devices and total number of devices. If you consider that, there market share of android is smaller, recent estimates are around 70% or less. Depending on the sales figures, the AppStore made twice as much in sales compared to the Google play store (year 2016, from statista).

So I think it makes sense to prioritise app development on iOS (especially if you have limited resources) as the ROI will most probably just be higher...

there are more actively used iphones because people still use iphone 3's for example. Old android just go the way of all old hardware. I guess that crap is so expensive people use them forever lol That don't make it a useful measure, those owners probably can't do much with it.