Best way to apply thermal paste?

Cantaloupeman

I am gonna have to use the stock thermal paste that came with my coolermaster hyper t4. I am worried about putting it on wrong though because this is my first pc build. I am scared I will put too much and it will go over the edge and short circuit and I'm also worried I'll put too little. Everyone acts like the pea method makes everything really easy but how am I supposed to know if it really is the right size. The pea method seems a bit vague.

2 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

The pea method seems a bit vague.

that's the point

it prevents you from putting too much on , and too little. it's literally SOMEWHERE in the middle. there is no correct answer other than "sort of the size of a pea"

your best guess is our best guess. go to the store and buy a bag of peas if you want to get technical

Look at his methods and then judge size

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

the pea just needs to be proportionate to how large the CPU is.  Needs to coat the cpu evenly.  I wouldn't use the same size pea on a 1st gen core 2 duo than one of the larger i9's.

ok so go buy some rice unless you have some, take out two grains, lay them down on the IHS, you want about that amount of thermal paste right in the middle, dosent matter if its a bit more but no need in using more then you need.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Should I take the cooler off and look after I did it the first time to see if I'm doing alright and then clean off and reapply? 

44 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok so go buy some rice unless you have some, take out two grains, lay them down on the IHS, you want about that amount of thermal paste right in the middle, dosent matter if its a bit more but no need in usingmore then you need.

18 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Should I take the cooler off and look after I did it the first time to see if I'm doing alright and then clean off and reapply? 

if you care to spent that time instead of just testing how the system performs thermally then sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you care to spent that time instead of just testing how the system performs thermally then sure

How would I be able to test how it performs thermally? How do you tell what temps are normal?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

How would I be able to test how it performs thermally? How do you tell what temps are normal?

the CPU specs sheet will list a max temp, as long as you are under that you are fine. run something like AIDA 64 and it will tell you your temps

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Depends on your CPU, but no matter what chip you have under it, that Hyper T4 should have peak temps in the 70*C range

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

13 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Depends on your CPU, but no matter what chip you have under it, that Hyper T4 should have peak temps in the 70*C range

What about overclocking?

57 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

What about overclocking?

Well if thats what you're after, what CPU do you have? I can help out more if I know that.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

5 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Well if thats what you're after, what CPU do you have? I can help out more if I know that.

I have an i5 7600k

1 hour ago, Cantaloupeman said:

I have an i5 7600k

Yeah stock you should be high 60's to low 70's, and with a mild OC to say 4.8ghz you would be looking at high 70*C range.