High temps i7 8700 [non k]

wizake

Hi guys

Newbie here !

I recently built a system based on the non K version of i7 8700. I first noticed the problem when using Lightroom to generate previews. The CPU was under load, and the temps were reaching 100 degrees and throttling. I started running stress tests and noticed the CPU went to 100 degrees in a matter of seconds at 100% load (Aida64, CPUZ,...). I was using the stock cooler. Checked the mounting - looked fine, event changed the paste (Arctic MX-4) but still the same temps: around 30 degrees in idle  ad 100 degrees under load.

I changed the cooler with Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B. Now the idle temps are around 25 deg. but still get to 96-100 in Aida64 stress test, 85 deg when using Prime95 (ver 26.6) and 96 deg when using Prime95 (latest version)

I checked and re-set the cooler about 4 times.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong ?

https://imgur.com/a/KuXdQ

My specs:

CPU: Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 8700 3.20GHz
MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SATA / Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCI Express x4 M.2
HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB
Graphic card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6GB DDR5 192-bit
Power: Seasonic M12II-520 EVO Edition Bronze 520W

Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 600

Just now, wizake said:

Power: Seasonic M12II-520 EVO Edition Bronze 520W

Not ideal PSU for this build... the case seems not to provide decent air flow

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Your problem is likely the default CPU core voltage, many boards will ramp it up to over 1.4V, manually set it to 1.25V as a starting point and see how it runs from there, you may be able to go lower, but this should be a safe and much lower voltage than the AUTO setting.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

I have the same temps with the case wide open.

Why do you think the PSU is not enough? I dont think it needs more than 450W of power

1 minute ago, SALEEN961 said:

Your problem is likely the default CPU core voltage, many boards will ramp it up to over 1.4V, manually set it to 1.25V as a starting point and see how it runs from there, you may be able to go lower, but this should be a safe and much lower voltage than the AUTO setting.

I can't change any setting in my BIOS related to voltage. It's a non OC CPU

Just now, wizake said:

I can't change any setting in my BIOS related to voltage. It's a non OC CPU

You should still be able to change the voltage, it's the base clock and base clock multiplier that you cannot change.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

I tried, but to no avail.

The only thing I can change is something related to offset, and I can only set it to '+' or '-'. No actual values. Everything is grayed out :(

Ran some tests, and checked the voltages (with CPU-Z)

1.312V - Stress test CPUZ
1.320V - 1.328V - Prime95 v29
1.344V - 1.352V - Aida64 extreme
1.288V - 1.296V Prime95 v26.6

Are they high/low/normal ?

12 hours ago, wizake said:

I tried, but to no avail.

The only thing I can change is something related to offset, and I can only set it to '+' or '-'. No actual values. Everything is grayed out :(

Ran some tests, and checked the voltages (with CPU-Z)

1.312V - Stress test CPUZ
1.320V - 1.328V - Prime95 v29
1.344V - 1.352V - Aida64 extreme
1.288V - 1.296V Prime95 v26.6

Are they high/low/normal ?

The voltage can be set using offset or static voltage.

Use static for an easier time. It ideally should be closer to 1.2v or 1.25v

How's the cooling in your case laid out?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks guys!

Pfff... I managed to figure out how to change the voltages. I didnt know I had to use +/- keys on the NumPad. Nothing happened when I clicked on them, so I thought they were disabled. 

I changed to Adaptive+Offset and set an offset of - 0.05.

Now the Core Voltage is 1.120V and in Aida64 Stability Test the temps are around 66 degrees (instead of 85-90)

Are the settings safe ? Can I leave it like this?

55 minutes ago, wizake said:

Thanks guys!

Pfff... I managed to figure out how to change the voltages. I didnt know I had to use +/- keys on the NumPad. Nothing happened when I clicked on them, so I thought they were disabled. 

I changed to Adaptive+Offset and set an offset of -0.5.

Now the Core Voltage is 1.120V and in Aida64 Stability Test the temps are around 66 degrees (instead of 85-90)

The settings are safe if you're asking about the health of your hardware.

You can run stress tests to check for stability. 12+ hours is recommended. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, wizake said:

Thanks guys!

I changed to Adaptive+Offset and set an offset of -0.5.

I have the same cpu, and I have the same offset, been running like that for a week now. No need to worry. My system is running stable as long as I don't go over - 0.70. 

• 4 months later...

I know this is a necro thread but: did the original user perchance have "multi core enhancement" or whatever the motherboard maker calls it enabled? Because with the default Intel setup the CPU should clock down to avoid temps like that. My 8700 cannot sustain 4.3 on all cores for more than a few seconds before it drops down to 3.7 and temps fall to under 60. It then stays there. This is with synthetic loads.

If you cannot manage cooling I would suggest disabling in BIOS the "multi core enhancement" (what Asus calls it).

With x264 via Plex mine turbos up to 4.3 and stays there if hardware trans-code is not an option.