What to do with my old PC

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm getting a new laptop this Christmas, which will probably be have a Ryzen 5 CPU. This will be my main PC so I no longer really need my 3-year old desktop with the following specs:

- i3 4130

- GTX 750 2GB

- 8GB of RAM

- 240 + 120 GB SSD

- 1TB + 2TB HDD

I'll use mainly use the laptop as a desktop replacement, which I would still be able to take with me everywhere.

At first I considered upgrading the desktop, but the Ryzen 5 already offers some decent performance, which should be enough for my current needs (programming, 1080p video editing, content writing). I'm also a gamer but the laptop should be able to run most casual games with no real issues, and I also have a PS4 now.

I considered buying a new GPU like a 1050Ti or a 1060, but considering the price, I think getting a Nintendo Switch would be a better idea for me since it would allow to game everywhere I want (I would have the PS4 in the living room, and the Switch and the PC in the bedroom).

So now I'm considering selling the desktop. However, I've seen the prices on eBay and I can see that I can't get that much money from it now, especially if you factor in the shipping fees and the eBay commission. So I'm torn between selling the desktop and buy some external hard drives, and keep it to use it as a backup PC just in case something goes wrong with the laptop. In this case, what's the cheapest upgrade I can make, or are there any good use for it (besides using it as a NAS)?

Appart form a NAS or a backup PC, not too sure what you could do with it.

You could always see if some younger member of your family is in need of a budget gaming PC, it's the holidays anyway ;)

Or you could part it out and sell the parts instead of the whole PC (selling parts will always give you a bit more than selling the PC as a whole). There also the local classifieds if you prefer selling it as a whole instead.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

you could part it out and sell the parts instead of the whole PC (selling parts will always give you a bit more than selling the PC as a whole). There also the local classifieds if you prefer selling it as a whole instead.

I wanted to sell the parts, but they are very cheap on eBay so if you include the shipping fees and the commission, I won't make that much money. So I think that the backup thing is the only valid solution. Is it worth spending a bit more to upgrade it then? I still have two empty RAM slots.

Install Linux, get Boinc setup and run something like GPUGRID

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

14 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I'm getting a new laptop this Christmas, which will probably be have a Ryzen 5 CPU. This will be my main PC so I no longer really need my 3-year old desktop with the following specs:

- i3 4130

- GTX 750 2GB

- 8GB of RAM

- 240 + 120 GB SSD

- 1TB + 2TB HDD

I'll use mainly use the laptop as a desktop replacement, which I would still be able to take with me everywhere.

At first I considered upgrading the desktop, but the Ryzen 5 already offers some decent performance, which should be enough for my current needs (programming, 1080p video editing, content writing). I'm also a gamer but the laptop should be able to run most casual games with no real issues, and I also have a PS4 now.

I considered buying a new GPU like a 1050Ti or a 1060, but considering the price, I think getting a Nintendo Switch would be a better idea for me since it would allow to game everywhere I want (I would have the PS4 in the living room, and the Switch and the PC in the bedroom).

So now I'm considering selling the desktop. However, I've seen the prices on eBay and I can see that I can't get that much money from it now, especially if you factor in the shipping fees and the eBay commission. So I'm torn between selling the desktop and buy some external hard drives, and keep it to use it as a backup PC just in case something goes wrong with the laptop. In this case, what's the cheapest upgrade I can make, or are there any good use for it (besides using it as a NAS)?

If you're going to sell PC hardware, the sooner you do it the better. PC hardware depreciates very quickly as new hardware is released regularly. People will try and get next to new prices for their used hardware on Craigslist and whatnot, but generally nobody ever buys that stuff. If you're going to sell it, sell it ASAP.

If you're feeling generous, you could donate the machine to your local charity or Goodwill, brighten someone's holidays!

You could also just keep the computer as well! When you need a backup machine, nothing is better than knowing you HAVE backup.

At the end of the day, its really up to you!

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Install Linux, get Boinc setup and run something like GPUGRID

I already have Linux installed but I'm against the idea of leaving my PC on without actually using it. I wouldn't mind running something like that while I'm doing something else though.

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I wanted to sell the parts, but they are very cheap on eBay so if you include the shipping fees and the commission, I won't make that much money. So I think that the backup thing is the only valid solution. Is it worth spending a bit more to upgrade it then? I still have two empty RAM slots.

ah my bad, thought you meant you were trying to sell the PC as a whole on eBay!

If it's only a backup I wouldn't put money on it, unless it's necessary.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

If you're going to sell PC hardware, the sooner you do it the better. PC hardware depreciates very quickly as new hardware is released regularly.

I think it's already too late. The prices are already too low for me to make any actual profit, if you factor in the commission and other fees.

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I think it's already too late. The prices are already too low for me to make any actual profit, if you factor in the commission and other fees.

You could try something like LetGo or Craigslist. I've had more luck using Craigslist for PC hardware. There are a lot more individuals who are looking for a machine ASAP and will pay more for that luxury. You'll get less on eBay because there are more alternatives 

The Nitro 5 Spin has an 8th gen i7 and a GTX 1050 in the same convertible form factor for not very much more than the base Envy x360 model, if you'd like more gaming power.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

2 minutes ago, PerfectPlasma said:

The Nitro 5 Spin has an 8th gen i7 and a GTX 1050 in the same convertible form factor for not very much more than the base Envy x360 model, if you'd like more gaming power.

Actually it's way more expensive based on what I'm seeing. I see prices around $1200.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Actually it's way more expensive based on what I'm seeing. I see prices around $1200.

Newegg's price is $1000 USD.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

4 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

You could try something like LetGo or Craigslist. I've had more luck using Craigslist for PC hardware. There are a lot more individuals who are looking for a QUICK machine and will pay more for that luxury. You'll get less on eBay because there are more alternatives 

I guess it's worth giving a shot. In the worst case, it's not that bad if I get just enough money for upgrading the RAM of the laptop and buy external hard drives.

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I guess it's worth giving a shot. In the worst case, it's not that bad if I get just enough money for upgrading the RAM of the laptop and buy external hard drives.

That's my thinking as well. If you want to get rid of it like within 2-3 days on your OWN terms (not driving out to their location), you could put the FULL machine up for like $250, but most people will want to do a "part-out". 

Cheers!

56 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

F@H if it's just going to sit around.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME