Bent the edges of my CPU?

Colty

So around the beginning of this year, I picked up a 7700k and an MSI Z270 mobo. I did some PC maintenance over the summer and ended up bending some CPU pins causing dual channel RAM configurations to not POST. So I've been using single channel RAM for a while. I finally ordered a backup board for $40-ish on black friday so I could send my board into MSI for repair. The secondary board wouldn't POST after it worked once. It was used off of ebay, the diagnostic LEDs couldn't find an issue, so I'm returning it under the assumption that there's some incompatibility. I was about to try to repair the bent pins on my original mobo when I noticed that my CPU PCB is bent.... It's bent right where my cooler's retention bracket lies across. I think I tightened it too far once or twice and here I am now. The CPU did seem to work (based off of diagnostic LEDs) so should I be worried or just careful in the future? I already ordered a new cooler and mobo (EVGA 280 CLC and Gigabyte Z270X K7), but do I possibly have to order a new CPU or should I be okay? 

25474199_1754799751198535_1483500777_o.jpg

25508675_1754799737865203_1394958568_o.jpg

1 minute ago, Colty said:

So around the beginning of this year, I picked up a 7700k and an MSI Z270 mobo. I did some PC maintenance over the summer and ended up bending some CPU pins causing dual channel RAM configurations to not POST. So I've been using single channel RAM for a while. I finally ordered a backup board for $40-ish on black friday so I could send my board into MSI for repair. The secondary board wouldn't POST after it worked once. It was used off of ebay, the diagnostic LEDs couldn't find an issue, so I'm returning it under the assumption that there's some incompatibility. I was about to try to repair the bent pins on my original mobo when I noticed that my CPU PCB is bent.... It's bent right where my cooler's retention bracket lies across. I think I tightened it too far once or twice and here I am now. The CPU did seem to work (based off of diagnostic LEDs) so should I be worried or just careful in the future? I already ordered a new cooler and mobo (EVGA 280 CLC and Gigabyte Z270X K7), but do I possibly have to order a new CPU or should I be okay? 

If the system isn't posting then very likely a bad CPU at this point, there was discussion over this as the newer processors had thinner PCB's and if the mounting pressure of the heatsink or block was too high there was possibility of damage such as this. 

what cooler were you using? that dosent look too great on the CPU tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what cooler were you using? that dosent look too great on the CPU tbh

Scythe Ninja 4, very good performance and it was really quiet. Didn't know it was bending my CPU though. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

If the system isn't posting then very likely a bad CPU at this point, there was discussion over this as the newer processors had thinner PCB's and if the mounting pressure of the heatsink or block was too high there was possibility of damage such as this. 

Well I can't know if the CPU posts until I get the new mobo. I can't trust the MSI one atm because of the bent pins. And I don't know anyone with an LGA 1151 board that could test it with me....

Well I can't know if the CPU posts until I get the new mobo. I can't trust the MSI one atm because of the bent pins. And I don't know anyone with an LGA 1151 board that could test it with me....

Do you have the stock intel cooler I would suggest using that on the new board once it comes in to see if it still posts. The way it's bent looks very much like too much mounting pressure is being applied by the Scythe cooler. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/intel-skylake-cpus-bent-and-broken-by-some-third-party-coolers/

Just now, W-L said:

Do you have the stock intel cooler I would suggest using that on the new board once it comes in to see if it still posts. The way it's bent looks very much like too much mounting pressure is being applied by the Scythe cooler. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/intel-skylake-cpus-bent-and-broken-by-some-third-party-coolers/

I have the stock cooler from a 775 CPU, is that the same? 

I don't know if a bent CPU like that will cause issues, but definitely be careful when tightening your cooler when you get your new board. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Colty said:

Scythe Ninja 4, very good performance and it was really quiet. Didn't know it was bending my CPU though. 

yah thats a pretty solid cooler i think, but you probably mounted it too hard, which seems to be a thing now with Skylake and forward seeing as the cut the PCB thickness quite a bit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I have the stock cooler from a 775 CPU, is that the same? 

No it's not the same, it needs to be 115X cooler. 

Alright, thanks guys. I was hoping this would be a $150 mistake and not a $450 mistake, but hopefully I can at least sell the CPU for parts if it is bad....

What chipset was the new board? That cpu will only work with b250 or z270 without a bios update

57 minutes ago, Zereks said:

What chipset was the new board? That cpu will only work with b250 or z270 without a bios update

It was an MSI H110i that I picked up on the cheap, but it was updated to the latest bios. The eBay item images display the bios version as one that supports the 7700k. 

Should I be worried about putting my current CPU into the new motherboard? I don't want to bend the pins or something on the new one because of the slight bend... It seems subtle enough that it won't make too much of a difference and it seems more like the pins would miss contact rather than get too much and apply additional pressure...

10 minutes ago, Colty said:

Should I be worried about putting my current CPU into the new motherboard? I don't want to bend the pins or something on the new one because of the slight bend... It seems subtle enough that it won't make too much of a difference and it seems more like the pins would miss contact rather than get too much and apply additional pressure...

Shouldn't be a problem from my understanding but I would use a different cooler or mounting option to just ensure it doesn't apply excessive pressure again. 

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

Shouldn't be a problem from my understanding but I would use a different cooler or mounting option to just ensure it doesn't apply excessive pressure again. 

Okay and yeah, I've got an EVGA CLC 280 on the way. Thanks for all the help, everyone. Gotta say, this is one of the best online communities I've seen.

On 16-12-2017 at 7:52 PM, Colty said:

just bend the cpu pins back with a needle :P lol  my friend once bent all of hes pins almost and bent all back with a needle + it worked fine again

the bent cpu,,, how in the fk u manage to bend a cpu ive hammered those things and nothing happened

to bend a cpu u must have used extreme force or the person u bought it from already sold it bent to u, basicly a scam tbh ;v

he prolyl fail delidded and put the vice onto the pcb really, saw it bend doesnt work > sell it xD

(◑‿◐)

Amazing that even with Ryzen doing so well, Intel insists in saving money on these minimal details, crappy toothpaste for the IHS, now fin PCB that bends depending the cooler you use... still the same shitty aluminum loud stock cooler... Intel really seems not to give a shit about what their brand meant before... they are cheapening every corner... I wish AMD had as good as performing processors so I could ditch Intel.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Amazing that even with Ryzen doing so well, Intel insists in saving money on these minimal details, crappy toothpaste for the IHS, now fin PCB that bends depending the cooler you use... still the same shitty aluminum loud stock cooler... Intel really seems not to give a shit about what their brand meant before... they are cheapening every corner... I wish AMD had as good as performing processors so I could ditch Intel.

just so u know intel been doing it on core 2 duos already... :P the only time when ppl notice it is when ivy release and later, but trust me the older chips also got toothpaste

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

just so u know intel been doing it on core 2 duos already...

That's wrong Intel soldered every mainstream CPU until Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge on was the first mainstream CPUs not soldered.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That's wrong Intel soldered every mainstream CPU until Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge on was the first mainstream CPUs not soldered.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1483439/core-2-duo-e7200-delid

guess ur one of em who thinks it started on ivy.... no it was looong ago already

almost the whole core 2 duo series can be delidded, ive got quite a few chips here and delidded too xD

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

IHS Soldered To Die

Hyperthreading/Single Cores

-(S-775) Pentium 4 HT
-(S-775) Celeron D*
-(S-478) Celeron D*
-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Prescott Core)
-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Northwood "C" Core)*

Dual Cores

-(S-775) Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
-(S-775) Pentium D
-Pentium Dual Core E5200*
-Pentium Dual Core E5300*
-Pentium Dual Core E5400*
-Core 2 Duo E4700*
-Core 2 Duo E6300 (B2 stepping)
-Core 2 Duo E6320
-Core 2 Duo E6400 (B2 stepping)
-Core 2 Duo E6420
-Core 2 Duo E6540
-Core 2 Duo E6550
-Core 2 Duo E6600
-Core 2 Duo E6700
-Core 2 Duo E6750
-Core 2 Duo E6850
-Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800
-Core 2 Duo E8190
-Core 2 Duo E8200
-Core 2 Duo E8300
-Core 2 Duo E8400
-Core 2 Duo E8500
-Core 2 Duo E8600
-Xeon 3040 (L2 stepping)*
-Xeon 3040 (B2 stepping)
-Xeon 3050 (L2 stepping)*
-Xeon 3040 (B2 stepping)
-Xeon 3060
-Xeon 3070
-Xeon L3110
-Xeon E3110
-Xeon E3120
-Xeon E5502
-AMD Athlon X2 6000+

Tri Cores

-AMD Phenom X3*

Quad Cores

-Core 2 Quad Q6600
-Core 2 Quad Q6700
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6800
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850
-Core 2 Quad Q8200
-Core 2 Quad Q8300
-Core 2 Quad Q8400
-Core 2 Quad Q8400S
-Core 2 Quad Q9300
-Core 2 Quad Q9400
-Core 2 Quad Q9400S
-Core 2 Quad Q9450
-Core 2 Quad Q9550
-Core 2 Quad Q9550S
-Core 2 Quad Q9650
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770
-Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9775
-Xeon X3210
-Xeon X3220
-Xeon X3230
-Xeon X3320
-Xeon X3350
-Xeon X3360
-Xeon L3360
-Xeon X3370
-Core i5 750
-Core i7 860
-Core i7 870
-Core i7 920
-Core i7 940
-Core i7 950
-Core i7 Extreme Edition 965
-Core i7 Extreme Edition 975
-AMD Phenom X4*

-

IHS Not Soldered To Die

Hyperthreading/Single Cores

-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Northwood "A" and "B" Core)*
-(S-478) Celeron
-(S-775) Celeron
-Celeron 420
-Celeron 430
-Celeron 440
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+*
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+*
-AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice core)

Dual Cores

-AMD X2 5000+ BE (Brisbane core)
-Celeron Dual Core E1200
-Celeron Dual Core E1400
-Pentium Dual Core E2140
-Pentium Dual Core E2160
-Pentium Dual Core E2180
-Pentium Dual Core E2200
-Pentium Dual Core E2210
-Pentium Dual Core E2220
-Pentium Dual Core E6300
-Core 2 Duo E4300
-Core 2 Duo E4400
-Core 2 Duo E4500
-Core 2 Duo E4600
-Core 2 Duo E6300 (L2 stepping)*
-Core 2 Duo E6400 (L2 stepping)*
-Core 2 Duo E7200
-Core 2 Duo E7300
-Core 2 Duo E7400
-Core 2 Duo E7500
-Core 2 Duo E7600

It is a minimal amount facing the totality, reason why Intel did this way I have no idea.

Personal Desktop":

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

IHS Soldered To Die

It is a minimal amount facing the totality, reason why Intel did this way I have no idea.

minimal amount? i guess u have no clue how many e7200-e7600 chips are out there, same for 4k series

its not minimal, intel uses thermal paste since long ago... on around 50% of their dual cores

e7xxx series was also mainstream

also edited my post

(◑‿◐)

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

minimal amount? i guess u have no clue how many e7200-e7600 chips are out there, same for 4k series

its not minimal, intel uses thermal paste since long ago... on around 50% of their dual cores

e7xxx series was also mainstream

also edited my post

The majority of Intel's LGA775 CPU (still can't believe that even now it can be competitive at the low end) were still soldered, even cheap parts. Unlike now where everything from the cheapest to the most expensive uses a shitty TIM (I don't buy Intel's excuse about thermal cycling of solder TIM damaging CPU after looking at the size of my P4 630's die-its smaller than that of my 4790K).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL