Should I buy a refurbished PSU

magicammo

I'm in the market for an sfx psu and my local frys has both a corsair sf450 and sf600 refurbished the 450w is $60 and the 600w is $70 would it be worth picking up or should I just buy brand new?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

If they're "refurbished" it's more than likely it's just an open box.  They're probably just returns from "buyers remorse" or by someone that didn't realize it was an SFX form factor (i.e. cables too short, no adapter bracket, etc.)

None of those SF series actually get "refurbished".  The failure rate on them is less than .5%.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

If they're "refurbished", they're probably just returns from "buyers remorse" or by someone that didn't realize it was an SFX form factor.

None of those SF series actually get "refurbished".  The failure rate on them is less than .5%.

So should I go for it?

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If they're "refurbished" it's more than likely it's just an open box.  They're probably just returns from "buyers remorse" or by someone that didn't realize it was an SFX form factor.

They probably just have to use specific words when advertising them. They won't have been opened at all... @magicammo

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Jaminahat said:

They probably just have to use specific words when advertising them. They won't have been opened at all... @magicammo

So imma take it as a good deal and go for it haha

Just now, magicammo said:

So imma take it as a good deal and go for it haha

Well i mean the box will be opened... Not the psu though ;) go for it

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

9 minutes ago, Jaminahat said:

Well i mean the box will be opened... Not the psu though ;) go for it

Haha yea saving 60 bucks I could get some custom sleeved cables 

28 minutes ago, magicammo said:

I'm in the market for an sfx psu and my local frys has both a corsair sf450 and sf600 refurbished the 450w is $60 and the 600w is $70 would it be worth picking up or should I just buy brand new?

My experience, but I would never do refurbished corsair PSUs again. I bought two AX860i units (One for my PC, the other for my brother). I got them swapped in on both of our PCs. Two weeks later, both randomly turn off and get stuck in boot loops. It took two RMAs and three replacement units to get two units that actually worked. The PSUs I got kept getting plagued by a faulty thermal probe issue (PSU would think it was overheating when it wasn't). The amount of time lost (removing and reinstalling the PSUs) and data loss (You had no idea when the PSU would turn off) from dealing with trying to save $50-70 per PSU was not worth it.

Also, if you have a faulty unit, to RMA the normal way, you have to send the PSU and all wires back to corsair. This means unwiring your PC and switching back to your old PSU if you want to use your PC. Other option is to do an advanced RMA, where they charge your credit card and then send you a unit and you send back the bad one.

Also, do note that corsair refurbished units only get a year of warranty. You're screwed beyond that. I bought a refurbished unit from Newegg though. You can tell because it comes in a plain cardboard box not the fancy retail packaging. If it has the packaging still, more than likely it's just a customer return which is a good thing.

On the positive note, the two working units we finally got still work to this day, three years later. Still wasn't worth the headache though. However, I don't think the same PSU issues I had affect the SF lineup. I think it was mostly the AXi series.

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

My experience, but I would never do refurbished corsair PSUs again. I bought two AX860i units (One for my PC, the other for my brother). I got them swapped in on both of our PCs. Two weeks later, both randomly turn off and get stuck in boot loops. It took two RMAs and three replacement units to get two units that actually worked. The PSUs I got kept getting plagued by a faulty thermal probe issue (PSU would think it was overheating when it wasn't). The amount of time lost (removing and reinstalling the PSUs) and data loss (You had no idea when the PSU would turn off) from dealing with trying to save $50-70 per PSU was not worth it.

Also, if you have a faulty unit, to RMA the normal way, you have to send the PSU and all wires back to corsair. This means unwiring your PC and switching back to your old PSU if you want to use your PC. Other option is to do an advanced RMA, where they charge your credit card and then send you a unit and you send back the bad one.

Also, do note that corsair refurbished units only get a year of warranty. You're screwed beyond that. I bought a refurbished unit from Newegg though. You can tell because it comes in a plain cardboard box not the fancy retail packaging. If it has the packaging still, more than likely it's just a customer return which is a good thing.

On the positive note, the two working units we finally got still work to this day, three years later. Still wasn't worth the headache though. However, I don't think the same PSU issues I had affect the SF lineup. I think it was mostly the AXi series.

Ahh I see well the ones I'm looking at say open boxed refurbished

2 minutes ago, magicammo said:

Ahh I see well the ones I'm looking at say open boxed refurbished

Ah, if it comes in a retail box, it's more than likely just a customer return as mentioned above. You shouldn't be plagued by issues. I'd only start to get concern if it was manufacturer refurbished like mine were. That and I mostly got hit by bad luck but I just want to let you know.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, if it comes in a retail box, it's more than likely just a customer return as mentioned above. You shouldn't be plagued by issues. I'd only start to get concern if it was manufacturer refurbished like mine were. That and I mostly got hit by bad luck but I just want to let you know.

Yea I get you man that is for the advice plus if anything happens in sure fry has refunds lol

Bought a referbed my self for my spare rig. Spent less on it being an 850 wat compared to a new 650 I was looking at getting for a single 1080 system. Id do it again if need be. Not a fan of the wires/sleeving but I cant always afford looks.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

23 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Bought a referbed my self for my spare rig. Spent less on it being an 850 wat compared to a new 650 I was looking at getting for a single 1080 system. Id do it again if need be. Not a fan of the wires/sleeving but I cant always afford looks.

That's good to hear just picked up a corsair sf450 hope its enough for my 6700k and my 1070

13 hours ago, magicammo said:

So should I go for it?

JonnyGuru is the godfather of psu,So i would do it.

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If they're "refurbished" it's more than likely it's just an open box.  They're probably just returns from "buyers remorse" or by someone that didn't realize it was an SFX form factor (i.e. cables too short, no adapter bracket, etc.)

Out of curiosity- where are you pulling the .5% from? I'm curious to see a source on that number as it'd be an awesome thing to read up more on; thanks!

PC in Profile

3 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

JonnyGuru is the godfather of psu,So i would do it.

hahaha well i got the 450watt kinda sucks that in store it was $85 lol saved 5 bucks it was open box and has the same 7 year warranty 

8 hours ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

Out of curiosity- where are you pulling the .5% from? I'm curious to see a source on that number as it'd be an awesome thing to read up more on; thanks!

I work for Corsair.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I work for Corsair.

dude thats awesome! 

8 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

Just google his user name he does reviews on power supplys

DID.  Past tense.  The site that bears my name is run by other people.

16 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

DID.  Past tense.  The site that bears my name is run by other people.

How long ago did you leave the site ?

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 2:16 PM, scottyseng said:

Damn. Wish I would’ve seen this post in the future. Bought a 860 AXi in July and I’m on my 4th here in February. I’m never buying refurbished again either. 

Tried awapping out for HX series (as it doesn’t have the fancy digital crap going on) but they would only let me get replacements. 

Tl;dr, don’t buy it.

5 minutes ago, PCubs01 said:

Damn. Wish I would’ve seen this post in the future. Bought a 860 AXi in July and I’m on my 4th here in February. I’m never buying refurbished again either. 

Tried awapping out for HX series (as it doesn’t have the fancy digital crap going on) but they would only let me get replacements. 

Tl;dr, don’t buy it.

I think my AX860i actually died now. lol. It won't turn on / self test does nothing for it. The one year warranty long passed. Hard lesson learned...

I think the RMi series was the one to get instead of the AXi series last I checked.

But yeah, I'm not playing the refurbished lottery again for PSUs. haha.