Graphics Card causing my PC not to Turn On?

Jerochy

Hey guys,

So I've had this GTX 960 in my pc for a little over 2 years now and last night my entire computer just shut off abruptly (thought the power went out at first). I tried messing around with it last night, but I could not get the computer to turn back on no mater what I did. I've been trouble shooting it today and I found something very surprising.

I thought for sure my 600w power supply was bad. So I put in my old 460w power supply and plugged everything in, but forgot to plug in the power to my GPU, and everything turned on. I then plugged in the 6 pin connector to my GPU, and same thing, nothing would turn on (and I know a 460w is enough for a gtx 960). I then unplugged the 460w psu and plugged my 600w back in without plugging the 6 pin for the gpu again. It worked fine again. I then took the 960 out, put an HD 7570 in just to test the pci express slot and it worked fine. I then though maybe the PSU couldn't handle the draw from the 960, but can the 7570 so I plugged in an HD 7770 which requires a 6 pin and it worked fine again. I finally put the 960 back in to see if it just needed to be reseated and nothing turned on, nothing worked.

I'm almost positive it's the GPU, but I've never heard of a GPU not even letting the PC turn on at all; I've only seen no display.

What do you guys think? Ever hear of something like this?

Thanks

It's a little far fetched but it's possible something is shorted out internally on your GPU, so when you go to power it on it triggers the over current protection in your PSU.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

It's a little far fetched but it's possible something is shorted out internally on your GPU, so when you go to power it on it triggers the over current protection in your PSU.

I was thinking it couldn't the be the GPU either, but idk what else to do other than trying to drop the 960 in a working computer and see if it does it to that too. I'm running fine using the same exact components but a different GPU right now.

Just now, Jerochy said:

I was thinking it couldn't the be the GPU either, but idk what else to do other than trying to drop the 960 in a working computer and see if it does it to that too. I'm running fine using the same exact components but a different GPU right now.

No I'm saying that it IS the GPU, you're 960 is fucked and that's why it wont turn on, your PSU is just protecting itself. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

No I'm saying that it IS the GPU, you're 960 is fucked and that's why it wont turn on, your PSU is just protecting itself. 

ohhhh haha I've only ever see a fucked GPU artifact or just not display, but it does make sense that if it is infinitely drawing that the PSU is stopped. Thanks for the help. 

• 6 months later...

Whatever happened in the end? Was it the GPU?

I'm having this very same issue. But with a GTX 1080.

I don't have any spare components (Psu,GPU,mb) to test out. But the PC works without GPU. (I7 6700k, Asus Ranger VIII) 

So I guess it's safe to assume that I'm in the same boat as OP? And my GPU shorted internally?

I have warranty.

2 hours ago, NHS2008 said:

Whatever happened in the end? Was it the GPU?

I'm having this very same issue. But with a GTX 1080.

I don't have any spare components (Psu,GPU,mb) to test out. But the PC works without GPU. (I7 6700k, Asus Ranger VIII) 

So I guess it's safe to assume that I'm in the same boat as OP? And my GPU shorted internally?

I have warranty.

Could be the GPU or could be one of the cables you're powering your GPU with. Not sure what your PSU is, but if it's modular, try other PCIe cables (if the PSU came with any extras) as a first thing.

I have this exact problem on my gtx 970.. I won't boot or display anything at all.. I fixed my problem by replacing the thermal paste on it and put something to remove the sag on it.. its weird because before i even replaced it, the fans still turn so i just got lucky that doing something that simple fixed mine.

I've had this issue this morning haha nothing booting up so i reseated everything and nothing happened but it did nothing. It kinda turns out (still not sure) that my cpu was my problem :/ not my faulty gpu but now everything is working fine so far

6 hours ago, IntMD said:

Could be the GPU or could be one of the cables you're powering your GPU with. Not sure what your PSU is, but if it's modular, try other PCIe cables (if the PSU came with any extras) as a first thing.

My Psu is Corsair RM750. I didnt have any spare cable as well but I did try it in different pcie slots. 

When ever I would turn it on with the GPU it would give  a slight kick to the CPU fan and then everything would be dead. Actually I just gave the card to the service centre.. Let's see.. hope I get a 1080ti as replacement. ?

5 hours ago, Triventular said:

I have this exact problem on my gtx 970.. I won't boot or display anything at all.. I fixed my problem by replacing the thermal paste on it and put something to remove the sag on it.. its weird because before i even replaced it, the fans still turn so i just got lucky that doing something that simple fixed mine.

I've had this issue this morning haha nothing booting up so i reseated everything and nothing happened but it did nothing. It kinda turns out (still not sure) that my cpu was my problem :/ not my faulty gpu but now everything is working fine so far

I did go through the trouble of disassembling and reassembling the whole thing twice... My card didn't sag as long as I screwed it in. 

• 7 months later...

Sorry fore reviving this thread but I have to share it. My brother's PC has a GTX 980 Ti. His PC suddenly shut down and he couldn't turn on. He said he smelt something burning for a very short period of time. When we press the power button on the case or on the motherboard, the fans spin like a split second and then PC shuts down and won't respond to another press of power button until we unplug the power cable and plug it back on.

So, we suspected PSU was a problem and got a new one. His old PSU was Thermaltake Smart 750W. Not a high quality one, I guess. Now, we have a Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W. But the problem persisted. So, we started removing the components of his PC one by one. After removing GPU, the PC started to boot.

His GPU just died, I believe. Now, we will get a new one.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, Rakanoth said:

Sorry fore reviving this thread but I have to share it. My brother's PC has a GTX 980 Ti. His PC suddenly shut down and he couldn't turn on. He said he smelt something burning for a very short period of time. When we press the power button on the case or on the motherboard, the fans spin like a split second and then PC shuts down and won't respond to another press of power button until we unplug the power cable and plug it back on.

So, we suspected PSU was a problem and got a new one. His old PSU was Thermaltake Smart 750W. Not a high quality one, I guess. Now, we have a Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W. But the problem persisted. So, we started removing the components of his PC one by one. After removing GPU, the PC started to boot.

I'm 95% sure it's hit GPU. Same thing happened to me, and since you have a decent PSU, it senses there is a short and will kill the power immediately. Try running the computer without the GPU installed to be sure. Run on integrated graphics.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:36 AM, Jerochy said:

I'm 95% sure it's hit GPU. Same thing happened to me, and since you have a decent PSU, it senses there is a short and will kill the power immediately. Try running the computer without the GPU installed to be sure. Run on integrated graphics.

As I wrote in my post, we are already certain it's the GPU which is causing the short circuit. Because when we remove the GPU, the system boots fine with integrated graphics.

Another point I want to mention is he had a Asus 980 Ti Matrix. It was an expensive GPU when we compare it to the other 980 Ti GPUs. I feel like it should have lasted longer than that. I didn't expect it to fail after 2,5 years.

• 1 month later...

guys the same thing happen to me but i didn't smell a thing. so the problem is the gpu died and i have to get a new 1 or it can be fixed ? 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:14 AM, Rakanoth said:

As I wrote in my post, we are already certain it's the GPU which is causing the short circuit. Because when we remove the GPU, the system boots fine with integrated graphics.

Another point I want to mention is he had a Asus 980 Ti Matrix. It was an expensive GPU when we compare it to the other 980 Ti GPUs. I feel like it should have lasted longer than that. I didn't expect it to fail after 2,5 years.

guys the same thing happen to me but i didn't smell a thing. so the problem is the gpu died and i have to get a new 1 or it can be fixed ? 

Before getting a new GPU, first remove your current GPU and see if your system boots without it.

If it still does not boot then remove one of your RAM sticks with GPU removed. Try boot with one of them. Still does not boot? Remove the last one and insert the one that you initially removed.

Still does not boot? Then remove CPU with GPU, all your RAM sticks, HDD, SSD, etc. removed. I mean, only boot with motherboard. If it boots, you should see a warning saying no CPU installed or something like this. 

Still does not boot? Tough luck. Either PSU or your mobo died. Maybe both. Then you have to test your mobo with another PSU. Still does not boot? Then it's the mobo. It does boot? Then it's the PSU.

Am I clear? I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, go ahead and ask.

5 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

Before getting a new GPU, first remove your current GPU and see if your system boots without it.

If it still does not boot then remove one of your RAM sticks with GPU removed. Try boot with one of them. Still does not boot? Remove the last one and insert the one that you initially removed.

Still does not boot? Then remove CPU with GPU, all your RAM sticks, HDD, SSD, etc. removed. I mean, only boot with motherboard. If it boots, you should see a warning saying no CPU installed or something like this. 

Still does not boot? Tough luck. Either PSU or your mobo died. Maybe both. Then you have to test your mobo with another PSU. Still does not boot? Then it's the mobo. It does boot? Then it's the PSU.

Am I clear? I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, go ahead and ask.

i did what u said  it boots with all the Ram sticks and the pc works fine but when i insert the GPU the pc don't get any power. 

is it a short ? that can be fixed or should i buy a new GPU ?

• 1 year later...

One year later same shtick happened to me yesterday with a second hand XFX RX 580. I'm 100% sure it's the GPU since I got a pretty good PSU.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for reviving but I just ran into a related issue I wanted to share, specs:

Gigabyte GTX 1660Ti 6GB

Intel 10900

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

I was in a game menu for World of Tanks and my PC just shut off. Dead. Hitting the power button does nothing. First thing I unplugged was GFX card, system powers on. Plug graphics card back in with PSU power and it wont power on again. Tried a different graphics card (760 OC) and same thing won't power on. Put the GTX into the second PCIe slot and it powers on and boots fine. It seems like anything in the first PCIe slot causes the system to short/not power on. Seems like a really odd issue. Going to pull the board and have it RMA'd tomorrow but thought I would share.

• 4 months later...

IT CAN BE THE GPU! (Imagine that like Linus would say it.)

I soaked my GPU in mineral spirits, after I had gotten thermal paste in the teeth of the chips attempting my first pad replacement with no pads.

I then soaked it in rubbing alcohol, and neglected to dry it all the way.

Then it kept my whole system from turning on.

I would imagine this is more common then you think.

As the thermal paste is often conductive, and it tends to float in the alcohol as oppose to dissolve in it, any sloppy clean up attempts could lead to globs of nasty paste getting stuck in between electrical pathways, causing them to arc, and preventing typical power flow.

I am no expert in GPU components, but after this mistake gets fixed, I bet I will be a lot closer to being a small electronics repair man then when I started.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 5:19 AM, Rakanoth said:

Did you end up fixing the problem? The exact same thing is happening to me right now

On 3/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Rakanoth said:

i've got ryzen 5 3600x (no onboard video). In that case... will it booth without any GPU? I'm worried my GPU is the problem (extremely high prices, very little stocks), but I can't test it without GPU... apparently

On 3/12/2021 at 11:34 PM, dougprats said:

i've got ryzen 5 3600x (no onboard video). In that case... will it booth without any GPU? I'm worried my GPU is the problem (extremely high prices, very little stocks), but I can't test it without GPU... apparently

you won't be able to see anything unless your cpu has an integrated graphics cards

• 6 months later...

I have this same issue.

PC newly built (a month old) suddenly shut down after gaming/streaming.

PC would flash RGB lights for a split second and turn off (while leaving motherboard lights on, but not booting up).

After some troubleshooting, I found that disconnecting power from GPU allows the PC to turn on using integrated graphics.

I wasn't sure if this was a PSU power cable/socket issue or GPU issue.