New HP laptop arrived. Full of bloatware. Fresh install okay?

Zyre

Hey all,

I just got my new laptop after having used my MSI GP70 for 4 years. Unsurprisingly it comes with pre installed software which I want to get rid off.

Would I be fine with doing a fresh install? Won't I lose the Windows license by doing that.

Also, I want to keep the HP recovery partition, so when I ever give the laptop away, I can simply do the HP recovery to bring it back to factory settings.

Hope someone can assist me :).

Edit:

It comes with Windows 10 Home, and it's a HP Pavilion 15. Link: https://www.laptopshop.nl/product/794496/hp-pavilion-15-ck093nd.html

The key should be on a sticker somewhere on the laptop generally the bottom. Other than that the only thing to be concerned about would be if you can find the drivers for everything. Sometimes things like the wireless and bluetooth won't have readily available drivers. 

Yeah you can reinstall windows to clear it out.

also reinstall drivers and HP stuff.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

The key should be on a sticker somewhere on the laptop generally the bottom. Other than that the only thing to be concerned about would be if you can find the drivers for everything. Sometimes things like the wireless and bluetooth won't have readily available drivers. 

Did a quick look on the bottom. There is no Windows sticker.

I would personally stay away from HP Partition Recovery, and wipe all of the drives while performing a fresh install. You can easily download a clean Windows image from Microsoft and use a tool like RUFUS to install the image on a USB.

You shouldn't have to worry about key management as the keys are stored in the BIOS and your computer should activate once it connects to the Internet,

Just be sure to download all of your drivers first so the install goes smoothly.

DRIVERS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Windows:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

RUFUS:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Yes, but then install almost all hp products back, because they have some value or the other.

Trust me, have experience

Hm, I've never done that. We've gotten quite a few HP PCs for work, and I always do a clean install because His Windows 10 ISO is unstable and prone to bugs (thus why newer HP laptops get a bad rap). Once the clean install is done then they're usually stable.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

HP is pretty good about keeping those up on their website.

-- BSOD : ( --

Just now, Zyre said:

Did a quick look on the bottom. There is no Windows sticker.

Laptops haven't had keys on the bottom in years..

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I usually just jank out the original HDD or SSD and put a new SSD in, on which I then install my OS of choice (which would be Linux actually). 

That way I can always put the original drive back in if I ever need to RMA the laptop or when I decide to sell it.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Hm, I've never done that. We've gotten quite a few HP PCs for work, and I always do a clean install because His Windows 10 ISO is unstable and prone to bugs (thus why newer HP laptops get a bad rap). Once the clean install is done then they're usually stable.

But features are lost, sometimes even you cannot switch the wireless on/off or use function keys at all.

Laptop is unable to boost, so you'd be using underclocked hardware

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

HP is pretty good about keeping those up on their website.

About 10 years back I wasn't able to find an official wireless driver for my HP pavilion laptop and had to use a generic one for the card which meant that I couldn't use the hardware button.

Just now, kerradeph said:

About 10 years back I wasn't able to find an official wireless driver and had to use a generic one for the card which meant that I couldn't use the hardware button.

But then you're talking about 10 yrs ago..

Just now, kerradeph said:

About 10 years back I wasn't able to find an official wireless driver and had to use a generic one for the card which meant that I couldn't use the hardware button.

But that's 10 years ago, and Pre Windows 10 which generally finds the drivers for you.

1 minute ago, Icuw1pc said:

But that's 10 years ago, and Pre Windows 10 which generally finds the drivers for you.

But I won't recommend windows 10 drivers, almost every company has a autodetect app to find and install drivers now.

Amd

Intel

And Nvidia has, which is almost everything, rest HP support page will help for sure.

Just uninstall the bloatware. If it were me. Pretty straight forward.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

But I won't recommend windows 10 drivers, almost every company has a autodetect app to find and install drivers now.

Amd

Intel

And Nvidia has, which is almost everything, rest HP support page will help for sure.

I know.. I linked the HP drivers site.

I would have mapped them all, but they didn't provide a model #.

18 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Yes, but then install almost all hp products back, because they have some value or the other.

Trust me, have experience

What “value”? I’ve had years of HP systems, and none of the preinstalled bloat was worth anything. Just wipe the whole system and reinstall the same version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) that it came with. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What “value”? I’ve had years of HP systems, and none of the preinstalled bloat was worth anything. Just wipe the whole system and reinstall the same version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) that it came with. 

Value as in their features, quick access fn keys, boost, and sometimes even aesthetic benefits

Hey, So I went ahead and wanted to do a fresh install.

I removed the partitions except the recovery and Windows RE tools partition.

But I cant install windows, it says the partition is GPT.

Plus when I want to use HP recovery it says there is no hard drive :/

Windows setup drive must be in UEFI.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, Zyre said:

Hey, So I went ahead and wanted to do a fresh install.

I removed the partitions except the recovery and Windows RE tools partition.

But I cant install windows, it says the partition is GPT.

Plus when I want to use HP recovery it says there is no hard drive :/

If you removed some of them, you will have to remove them all. HP needed files from all of them in order to perform a recovery. You could just set your boot mode to legacy for the time being while doing the install, and just create a new HDD partition. Another plus to doing this is, you will have more storage available.

I've never had to use recover mode, except when people are doing things they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Just have good security and only download software from trusted sties. You should never need to, Unless it's a security update hold off on some updates to see if they brick systems .

11 hours ago, Zackbare said:

Value as in their features, quick access fn keys, boost, and sometimes even aesthetic benefits

And the likelihood of your drivers being frozen in time. My own laptop I got in November 2010 never got a graphics driver update past 2010, and AMDs reference drivers didn't work because they didn't support pre-Enduro switchable graphics (this was entirely on OEMs). This was a problem as Starcraft 2 crashed anywhere above the lowest settings on the official drivers. With some hacked drivers, it worked, though the Sleep mode was borked in turn.

So forgive me if I don't put much faith into HP's software team.

Edit: this laptop is still in service btw. New SSD and Win 10 with a more stable variant of said hacked drivers as Win 10 didn't like the official drivers. It also got a cpu upgrade as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Produkey and Fresh install. we are HP Gold partners and I do this on Every laptop I move onto a client, just so so so much bloatware!!! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

And the likelihood of your drivers being frozen in time. My own laptop I got in November 2010 never got a graphics driver update past 2010, and AMDs reference drivers didn't work because they didn't support pre-Enduro switchable graphics (this was entirely on OEMs). This was a problem as Starcraft 2 crashed anywhere above the lowest settings on the official drivers. With some hacked drivers, it worked, though the Sleep mode was borked in turn.

So forgive me if I don't put much faith into HP's software team.

Edit: this laptop is still in service btw. New SSD and Win 10 with a more stable variant of said hacked drivers as Win 10 didn't like the official drivers. It also got a cpu upgrade as well.

No offence, but why everyone are alking about way back!? 7-10 yrs old HP is not the same as today.