How to format old laptop and install win10?

Sorry in advance if I posted in the wrong section.

I have my laptop from 2011. It's an HP dv6 with an AMD A8. It has windows 7.

I'd like to format it and install windows 10 to see if it's worth saving before I set it on fire and sacrifice it to the gods.

giphy.gif

I don't really know how to go about doing a format and clean install.

It's running very slow and I'm sure it has a virus or two.

I've saved my personal files from it to a usb thumbdrive.

The only thing I'm concerned about losing is the beats audiolab software that came on the laptop.

But if I can't save that, it's not the end of the world because the thing barley works as it sits.

So could anyone link me to an article or help give me a rough tutorial?

beats audiolab i don't know about, but it's up to you to backup all your data that you want to save. 

WARNING: DOING THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA FROM YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!!

• you need to have a Windows installer usb or dvd. 
  • boot it up from that, and click next until it asks you for a product key. i guess you just want to test it out to see if your laptop will run good, so choose "i don't have a product key". this will activate a 30-day trial of Windows. you will need to buy a product key from Microsoft if you want to continue to use Windows.
  • click next, and accept the license
  • click next, it will ask for a custom install or an upgrade. choose custom install. 
  • FINAL WARNING: THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON YOUR HARDDRIVE!!
    you see a partition manager with a bunch of partitions listed. select them one at a time, and click "delete".
  • you will have one thing left in that screen, an unallocated volume. select it, and click "next". 
  • wait for windows install to complete. 

She/Her

1. Download Windows 10 and mount the ISO file in a flash drive or blank DVD-R https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Once you've downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool, you can choose to upgrade directly or download it to a flash drive or burn it to a DVD-R.image.png.44e2db36a6c3119f3392a8ff2057efa7.png
  3. From then on, it's a pretty much straight forward installation. I don't know if Microsoft still accepts old Windows 7 product keys but if it didn't, you need to buy a Windows 10 license. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The tutorial is already been described above but i want to add something.

If u install windows 10 on old laptop before windows 10 is released u might wont be able to find the driver for your hardware IF there's no official driver from the manufacturer website.

You can however find those missing driver with a bit of googling.

I have tried installing w10 on my old laptop and i cant find a single driver for the beats audio driver to work so i have no audio then i switched back to windows 7.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

obtain tweakbit driver updater.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

8 minutes ago, Slippery Vagoo said:

you should not pick the upgrade this PC. it causes a lot of issues to do an upgrade on an existing install 

No wonder the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 back in 2015 is very problematic as Start Menu is very unresponsive.

Thanks everyone. Currently downloading the installer to a usb drive. I downloaded malwarebytes for laughs to see what it found. 82 threats including trojans and other various viruses. This will be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Hi

Found this for drivers of you HP DV6

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=hp dv6&filter=

You may find drivers for you sound card

Thanks, I'll need that here in 30 minutes or so.

19 minutes ago, Slippery Vagoo said:

you should not pick the upgrade this PC. it causes a lot of issues to do an upgrade on an existing install 

Right, I wanted to format and clean it out anyways.

43 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:
  1. Download Windows 10 and mount the ISO file in a flash drive or blank DVD-R https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Once you've downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool, you can choose to upgrade directly or download it to a flash drive or burn it to a DVD-R.
  3. From then on, it's a pretty much straight forward installation. I don't know if Microsoft still accepts old Windows 7 product keys but if it didn't, you need to buy a Windows 10 license. 

It's downloading the usb install tool. Will I need to go into the bios or just restart with the usb in?

1 minute ago, StarsMars said:

It's downloading the usb install tool. Will I need to go into the bios or just restart with the usb in?

You might want to change some BIOS settings like the boot priority and select the flash drive as the first so that upon restart it will start the installation process.

I vote for sacrificing it to the gods

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

You can . Power down (off) , install the thumb drive with windows on it. Then power on, and see if you get the ... Press any key to install. 

If not then you can go to bios and boot from thumb drive

Just now, Zmax said:

You can . Power down (off) , install the thumb drive with windows on it. Then power on, and see if you get the ... Press any key to install. 

If not then you can go to bios and boot from thumb drive

Thank you. Had to set it from the bios boot options. Formated the main storage partition. Left the HP section. I'll report back to let you all know how it ends up. The gods are waiting

Seems to be running better. It's functional now? Still very slow by SSD and 2017 standards.

My Iphone 6 dumps on it.

I can't sell it. Don't have the heart to throw it away.

I guess I'll use it to monitor twitch chat until I pony up and activate windows 10 on my main pc so I can dual monitor.

WeeklyHoarseHarlequinbug-max-1mb.gif