does UV light harm PC components?

Would you buy UV case light?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy UV case light?

• dont risk it
    • buy it
    • turnip

i hope some of you already got "long time" experience on UV light and pc parts and shares the story or tells about shenanigans

long story short i wanted some light in my case and got a UV recommendation

@unknownmiscreant warned about possible dangers that the UV can harm the components

thanks in advance

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

10 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

i hope some of you already got "long time" experience on UV light and pc parts and shares the story or tells about shenanigans

@unknownmiscreant warned about possible dangers that the UV can harm the components

thanks in advance

You won't see any issues. Also, Cablemod makes the best strips.

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-hybrid-led-kit-30cm/

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

You won't see any issues, Cablemod makes the best strips

cablemod suggested them to me 

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

disclamer: I have never owned a PC with UV lights in it.

In theory, yes UV light will have a effect certain plastics, meaning that it will make them more brittle and rubber can become dried out effecting its sealing abilities.

In practice, you most likely won't notice the effect unless you are planning to use your PC for a insane amount of time (10+ years) or plan to use UV light in line of sight of sealing rubber rings (think inside a fitting). And even then its a stretch to imagine any kind of damage that isn't aesthetic.

Personal opinion: I think you will be just fine, but I don't like the way UV looks, even with UV reactive fluids.

It depends on what plastics are inside your case, since some plastics don't really care while others will get mangled.  Here is a good resource for what ones will be worst off.

That being said, I'd just go for it since there are such low forces associated with keeping a case together I doubt that it'd be an issue even if the plastics became a lot more brittle.

16 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

thanks in advance

Strong UV light can, over a long period of time, cause plastic and rubber to become brittle. However most lights don't have a strong enough output to really take any effect. The difference with sunlight is the very strong output of the UV spectrum it puts out. It is possible, but most modern plastics can uphold to the small amount of UV light that could be produced by LED strips or cathodes.

5 minutes ago, Daan101 said:

snip

so you say from my usual usage of ~5years per rig (currently in the 2nd year ) and then selling them i should be safe

Spoiler

it might wreck some plastics, but generally you should be good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

You won't see any issues. Also, Cablemod makes the best strips.

Actually they don't. DarkSide UV LED are allot better. Cablemod has some purple bleeding. Among a few other issues.

-----

Most of the key parts of the motherboard and such are actually acrylic and nylon. Nylon is used on most of the slots & CPU sockets. Nylon has UV resistance.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Ultraviolet light can de color some plastics with long term exposure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_degradation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4320144/

Polystyrene (PS), one of the most important material in the modern plastic industry, has been used all over the world, due to its excellent physical properties and low-cost. When polystyrene is subjected to UV irradiation in the presence of air, it undergoes a rapid yellowing and a gradual embrittlement.

Most of these issues are from sunlight though, UV lights are nowhere near as strong.

It's also true that some products have inbuilt UV resistance.

Whether or not you should go with UV or not, I have no idea, I don't have enough information.

A UV light did discolor a lava lamp of mine once though.

Before rgb light strips. There was uv lighting

glow-board.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1-12-2017 at 5:16 PM, Bl00dgod said:

so you say from my usual usage of ~5years per rig (currently in the 2nd year ) and then selling them i should be safe

Yes, The only things that I see could be a problem to sell is cables that become brittle (so they become hard instead of being bendable)

On 12/2/2017 at 1:38 PM, Daan101 said:

Yes, The only things that I see could be a problem to sell is cables that become brittle (so they become hard instead of being bendable)

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't nylon sleeved cables fix that? 

On 01/12/2017 at 12:00 PM, Bl00dgod said:

thanks in advance

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/skin-cancer/prevention-and-early-detection/what-is-uv-radiation.html

1 hour ago, Skreedles said:

i believe that it harms some of the components in long term... but IMO. :D getting cancer from a few hours a day within my pc, behind a tempered glass panel is ridiculous

cant imagine me visiting the doc to tell me i got skin cancer from my pc light, no offense

Spoiler

It's bad for the eyes long-term but your're probably not even close to ever look at it long enough for that to matter.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

The only thing I have experience in was my previous job as an inspector at a metal finishing facility.

As an inspector, my job was to make sure the coatings on all of the parts we processed were to specification and that visually and through testing they weren't coming off...

We used several electronic devices to conduct our testing. Now there was a room (dark room) where we conducted NDT (non-destructive testing) like magnetic particle testing or penetrant. In order to check these parts we had to UV light the whole dark room. I worked this job for about 2 and a half years. 

In my experience, the UV lights always seemed to oxidize plastics and rubbers over time. Our Positectors would start to crack up after like a year of exposure to UV lights. These devices are built rugged with heavy rubber and plastic, but after a while of exposure to UV light the plastic shell and rubber would turn brittle. Other hoses and plastics inside this dark room suffered the same thing. They would oxidize and turn very brittle. This was in complete contrast to other Positectors we had at other locations (where they weren't exposed to UV light from the dark room). The ones not exposed only showed abrasive wear from handling, but the ones from our NDT inspections were all looking really worn or broken/chipped. The LCD screens on those would also fail (the ones from our NDT rooms). 

Personally, I didn't have a problem with it as I wasn't paying for these Positectors (they are pretty expensive). We always replaced the broken ones (usually the ones from our NDT rooms) and the company paid for it.

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

18 hours ago, Necromonger said:

The only thing I have experience in was my previous job as an inspector at a metal finishing facility.

As an inspector, my job was to make sure the coatings on all of the parts we processed were to specification and that visually and through testing they weren't coming off...

We used several electronic devices to conduct our testing. Now there was a room (dark room) where we conducted NDT (non-destructive testing) like magnetic particle testing or penetrant. In order to check these parts we had to UV light the whole dark room. I worked this job for about 2 and a half years. 

In my experience, the UV lights always seemed to oxidize plastics and rubbers over time. Our Positectors would start to crack up after like a year of exposure to UV lights. These devices are built rugged with heavy rubber and plastic, but after a while of exposure to UV light the plastic shell and rubber would turn brittle. Other hoses and plastics inside this dark room suffered the same thing. They would oxidize and turn very brittle. This was in complete contrast to other Positectors we had at other locations (where they weren't exposed to UV light from the dark room). The ones not exposed only showed abrasive wear from handling, but the ones from our NDT inspections were all looking really worn or broken/chipped. The LCD screens on those would also fail (the ones from our NDT rooms). 

Personally, I didn't have a problem with it as I wasn't paying for these Positectors (they are pretty expensive). We always replaced the broken ones (usually the ones from our NDT rooms) and the company paid for it.

thanks for that story, so these components were in the room with UV activated for 24/7 365 days ?

most people said it harms parts after a period of like 5 years and i´ll be using it in the evening for maybe 3-4 hours a day on my "pc"-podestal next to the desk

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Bl00dgod said:

thanks for that story, so these components were in the room with UV activated for 24/7 365 days ?

most people said it harms parts after a period of like 5 years and i´ll be using it in the evening for maybe 3-4 hours a day on my "pc"-podestal next to the desk

Basically, we had 3 shifts and worked M-S, of course Saturday was optional, but approximately year long exposure, minus holidays.

Some motherboard manufacturers add UV coatings to prevent this degradation (from UV lights). I'd check with your manufacturers. 

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)