Twin PC Build Log - Revival of Old Build Log

Necromonger

Builds are complete!!!!

PC Part Picker Links:

Bloodthirster (Persona RIG)

Frost Queen's Claim (GF's RIG)

So I started this thread last year. I have recently resurrected it by continuing the builds and am inching closer to completion. I will update this thread as the progress continues. 

The build logs are as follows: 

NOTE: Green = Have, Red = Don't Have

My Personal RIG

CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K

CPU Cooler -  Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

MOBO - MSI Z87 G43

RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 (Black) + 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 (Black)

PSU - EVGA 750W GQ (80+ Gold, Semi-Modular)

Storage - WD 2TB Black HDD + Corsair Force LE 960GB SSD

GPU - Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Edition

Case - NZXT S340 Black/Red

My Girlfriend's RIG

CPU - Intel Core i5 4460

MOBO - ASRock Z97 Pro4 (ATX Version)

RAM - 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 16000MHz DDR3 (Blue)

PSU - EVGA 750W GQ (80+ Gold, Semi-Modular)

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

GPUZotac GTX 1070 Amp Edition!

Case - NZXT S340 Black/Blue

I will post pics at a later date when I have the missing components.

Long Story Short: My dream for these two builds hit a stand still last year when I had to dedicate more of my time to studies to finish and transfer out of junior college. I had to cut my work hours which significantly lowered my income, so I put the builds on hold. Now that I have stable income again I resurrected the build and am missing a couple of critical components. Namely, the GPUs and my SSD along with some accessories. I should have the money for the GPUs (both) within 2 weeks (GTX 1080 & GTX 1070). Hopefully then, they will come back in stock!

Reason why I would like to go for the 1080 is because I plan on getting a 4K monitor soon. My lady is fine with her monitor at 1080p and I plan on donating my 1080p monitor to her so she can have dual 1080p monitors. We both love to game and I personally want to keep it like that. There are so many games we could be enjoying together but sadly are limited by our lack of GPUs (Well she is currently using my old R9 270X). 

Customization: Minor Stuff

Thermaltake PSU Cable Extensions - 1 Set of Black & Red + 1 Set of Black & Blue

BitFenix OR CableMod Magnetic RGB LED Strips - 2x

Corsair Air Series 120mm LED Case Fans - 2x Red + 2x Blue

My priority right now is in getting the GPUs soon, followed by the PSU cable extensions, then the other stuff, like SSD and CPU coolers. Everything else is last. I would love the community's help in deciding which ORs to take or if possible other alternative options. For example, I am undecided if I should go for the 1070 or 1080 in my RIG as I really want to do 1440p or 4K gaming @ 60Hz. 

UPDATE: Picture Gallary

V7AFfkr.jpg

K22fsJF.jpg

kw1lU49.jpg

ijnwqHq.jpg

J9d9H85.jpg

3RnPeVQ.jpg

62UtObC.jpg

Girlfriend's Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! Edition

LYpMj3Z.jpg

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

34 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Just saying, the 1080 will be bottlenecked by the 4670k depending on the game . 

not by much....

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

8 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Just saying, the 1080 will be bottlenecked by the 4670k depending on the game . 

Yeah, I've heard the stories. I personally won't be playing on super fast refresh rate monitors. I get a bit motion sickness at 120+ Hz. If that is what you are going at for the bottleneck.

Besides, the 1080 is one of the few cards out there right now that can play games at 4k reliably and I don't plan on spending $300+ more on a CPU that will only be marginally better than what I have for what I do.

• 1 month later...

Each time I get a new part to complete my builds, my insides feel like exploding. I think I need to see a doctor...

Anyways, I recently received my Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Edition and ordered an SSD and AIO cooler today. I need the community's help though!

So in order to keep both me and my girlfriend's PCs matching, I have decided to try and get her the Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Edition(haven't purchased it yet, but probably will next week). I am also looking at custom power supply cable extensions from Cablemod. 

I will create another post with a poll to help me decide on color schemes for both of our machines. LINK HERE

I came here looking for a PCpartpicker link.... its not the same to just list everything because now i have to go look up all the exact pieces to see how it will fit together rather than just having the images already listed for me =(

On 2016-08-13 at 10:44 AM, Necromonger said:

Yeah, I've heard the stories. I personally won't be playing on super fast refresh rate monitors. I get a bit motion sickness at 120+ Hz. If that is what you are going at for the bottleneck.

Besides, the 1080 is one of the few cards out there right now that can play games at 4k reliably and I don't plan on spending $300+ more on a CPU that will only be marginally better than what I have for what I do.

CPU bottlenecks are based almost entirely on the game you play. an i5 can pretty easily hit 60 fps even on a CPU intensive game for the most part. Beyond that you just need to crank up the resolution or graphical settings in order to keep the GTX 1080 around that number. a GTX 1080 is a great card, but you can cripple its raw fps by turning up the graphical settings. This will improve your gaming experience for sure, but in a different way than increasing fps does ;)

5 hours ago, Zyndo said:

CPU bottlenecks are based almost entirely on the game you play. an i5 can pretty easily hit 60 fps even on a CPU intensive game for the most part. Beyond that you just need to crank up the resolution or graphical settings in order to keep the GTX 1080 around that number. a GTX 1080 is a great card, but you can cripple its raw fps by turning up the graphical settings. This will improve your gaming experience for sure, but in a different way than increasing fps does ;)

Well thanks. I really did not want to spend the extra money for a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM after I already owned the 4670K and have yet to even overclock it. Which is why this time around, with new case, PSU, GPU, SSD, and cooler I want to push my machine a bit more. I won't be bothered if I cannot reach the zenith of what my 1080 can deliver with an i7 overclockable cpu, faster ram, etc. I just want to game comfortably at 4K or even 2K with very little to no compromises. Similar story applies to my girlfriend's PC. I want her to enjoy her games without feeling the bottleneck of my old R9 270X at 1080p with max settings and mods she uses.

If anything, I will probably build a budget guest PC using my old case and GPU. Maybe crossfire the R9 270X with another 270X???!!! LOL

13 minutes ago, Necromonger said:

I just want to game comfortably at 4K or even 2K with very little to no compromises. Similar story applies to my girlfriend's PC. I want her to enjoy her games without feeling the bottleneck of my old R9 270X at 1080p with max settings and mods she uses.

You should be able to game at 4k no problem (your 1080 will be the bottleneck in all of your games, not your CPU) and like I said before, if you're doing 2k gaming all you have to do is turn your graphics up beyond the highest preset (what people often mistakenly call "max graphics") and that will make your 1080 work hard enough that its not going to be able to outmatch your i5 (especially if you overclock). In a lot of games (the ones that aren't extremely CPU intensive) you will even be able to hit high refresh rates without a lot of issue.

Update! Today I received my Corsair Hydro H100i GTX and Corsair Force LE 960GB SSD. 

This weekend, I will be ordering my girlfriend's Zotac GTX 1070 and custom sleeves for both of our builds. So freaking excited to start both builds!!!

Also I added pictures to original post.

Update: 9/23/16

Can confirm, Newegg delivers next day! Well for me at least.. Just got my girlfriend's Zotac GTX 1070 and rgb kits after I ordered them yesterday. They are located nearby somewhere as I always choose the free shipping option, yet I always get items next day or in two days.