Should I get a stronger PSU?

NeXu

So I have got a Seasonic M12II-620 EVO and I want to get myself one of these RX Vega(56 most likely) cards to make use of my freesync monitor.

I used a PSU calculator and went a bit overboard just to make sure (For example going with the Vega 64 Liquid). The result was around 540W power consumption and it recommended me a 650W PSU with 80+Platinum rating.

I went with a Vega 64(air) and the result went to 486 but the recommended psu was the same. So I don't really know what to do.

I feel like I would be pushing a lot my PSU.

I think you're fine, though it is rated for 620 W @ 40 C, where a more premium PSU would be rated for 50 C. I would not chance any sort of heavy overclock.

Also note that 80+ ratings do not tell the whole story about a PSU. Many 80+ Bronze power supplies like the one you have are good, while many 80+ Gold power supplies are inferior quality.

Edited by Kavawuvi

5 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

I think you're probably fine.

Yeah the probably part is what makes me nervous...

I even did 500/620 and it gave me 0,8 wich should be in that 80+ rating.

(Thanks for the fast answer tho)

Just now, NeXu said:

Yeah the probably part is what makes me nervous...

Oh yeah, see my edit. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

I think you're fine, though it is rated for 620 W @ 40 C, where a more premium PSU would be rated for 50 C. I would not chance any sort of heavy overclock.

Also note that 80+ ratings do not tell the whole story about a PSU. Many 80+ Bronze power supplies like the one you have are good, while many 80+ Gold power supplies are inferior quality.

Just now, NeXu said:

(Thanks for the fast answer tho)

Don't worry about 80+ ratings unless you're worrying about efficiency.

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

Oh yeah, see my edit. Sorry.

Don't worry about 80+ ratings unless you're worrying about efficiency.

I realised my mistake as soon as I pressed submit. I'm just getting nervous.

Also don't worry about overclocking. If I would do something it would be undervolting.

6 minutes ago, NeXu said:

That's not how 80+ works. If you draw 500 watts at 80% efficiency, you'll draw around 600 watts from the wall. If you have a 90% efficiency power supply, it'll draw around 550 watts from the wall.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

44 minutes ago, NeXu said:

So I have got a Seasonic M12II-620 EVO and I want to get myself one of these RX Vega(56 most likely) cards to make use of my freesync monitor.

I used a PSU calculator and went a bit overboard just to make sure (For example going with the Vega 64 Liquid). The result was around 540W power consumption and it recommended me a 650W PSU with 80+Platinum rating.

I went with a Vega 64(air) and the result went to 486 but the recommended psu was the same. So I don't really know what to do.

I feel like I would be pushing a lot my PSU.

It'll probably power it but it's not the most amazing PSU in the world. See if it can handle the load (whole system will probably demand around 500-550W) and replace the PSU when the warranty runs out or the next time you do a decent system upgrade.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||