University Suggestions for Electronic Engineering (CPU/GPU Architect/Design)

DarkBlade2117

I will emphasize, this might get lengthy for you. I generally am very picky in where I want to go TO an extent. I will state my desires and wants/needs. 

To start, I want to design Motherboards, GPUs, CPUs and eventually work for Intel, Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, Asrock, Super Micro whatever. Something. Now right now I am getting an Associate in Electronic Engineering, starting next August I'll start signing up for Uni's and such. GPA I hope to rise to a 3.4-3.6 and plan on prepping and scoring high on these god awful ACT's and SAT's, not because I have to but because I want options. The current EE degree I am going towards is meant to be easy to transfer some of my credits and isn't focused on the Micro controller side of things and stuff like that, it focused on a bit of everything, a bit of programming, a bit of networking and computer integration. I figured some of the classes such as Programming C/C++ and Networking will be good to have and it's going to allow me to break some incredibly bad habits I have when it comes to schooling.  

For what I want in a Uni/School is I need some sort of living quarters, on campus or on the edge of campus, as long as I have a place to live. I don't want to go to some Ivy school with the top 2% of the world or some big ass school where your basic classes have 150 people in them either. I want small-medium in size. Location is something I am a bit more lenient on. I'd prefer not to go to some Uni in a big ass city though really, even though I am in Ohio, I've looked at a few places in Washington State, Texas, North Dakota and Arizona so if I am on the other side of the country, whatever. What I am interested in is Universities that have a great deal of success when it comes to getting you a job soon after graduation. Whether they give you internships throughout your courses or whatever is what I am into. Most other things are to specific for me to get into and I can look into myself but I want suggestions from people who have personally gone to these schools that are suggested and get their opinion for similar degrees and how their time was/is in the school.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Come to Canada :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Come to Canada :)

That is an option all things considered.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I hear Texas and Florida tending to be the recommended states but I couldn't say which Campuses to recommend.

https://sunypoly.edu/academics/majors-and-programs/nanoscale-engineering/nanoscale-engineering-degree-requirements.html

#1 funded university in the US for tech r&d in 2013, has partnerships with Samsung, Intel, IBM, Global Foundries, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. They're responsible for a lot of the r&d put into new lithographic processes, basically it's an educational and research fab on campus.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Well, I have yet to go to a school for an EE degree.

But I plan to next year during the Fall to go to Auburn University for an EE degree, so I can probably later on tell how the classes are later next year.

But the two colleges (one for Graphic Design, the other for Computer Science) I been to prior where all right, but to get right down to it, on hands experience and connections to people will land you a job.  Best advice I can give to peeps going to college, make connections, make as many of them as you can. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

-snip-

The University of Waterloo here in Ontario is pretty good, with a comfortable 53% acceptance rate. Tuition might be iffy for international students, though. 

My Dad's a software developer, and he's told me that it's recognized quite well on resumes in technical fields like the ones you've described. I believe a few of his colleagues are Waterloo graduates as well. 

They also administer a bunch of Math and computing (and physics?) contests that are run at schools across Canada and the world, which is pretty cool...I guess...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Living space and whatnot is pretty cheap here, too. 

I'm not very knowledgeable on smaller schools in the US...or in Canada, really...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

I hear Texas and Florida tending to be the recommended states but I couldn't say which Campuses to recommend.

not sure about this but UF and UCF are good candidates. 

for adjacent state Georgia, i heard Georgia tech is really up there for electrical / computer fields. tho as of late CS is the go-to for undergrads. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

for adjacent state Georgia, i heard Georgia tech is really up there for electrical / computer fields. tho as of late CS is the go-to for undergrads. 

I was originally considering going there as they had some really good facilities but I decided to attend my local college (Ole Miss) since it was a third of the cost and had decent enough facilities. (Also a friendlier environment.)