5v RGB led strip to rgb header

I got some 5v rgb led strip, about a meter long, with female rgb header connected that I want to install in my pc case, and I planning to control it via the app that came with the mobo

My mobo is MSI B250M Mortar with a 4pin rgb header

Can I connect the 5v rgb strip to the mobo?

3 minutes ago, Jake Clarete said:

I got some 5v rgb led strip, about a meter long, with female rgb header connected that I want to install in my pc case, and I planning to control it via the app that came with the mobo

My mobo is MSI B250M Mortar with a 4pin rgb header

Can I connect the 5v rgb strip to the mobo?

No the built in RGB system for the motherboards use the standard 12V RGB LED strips not the 5V type. 

if you're REALLY craftsy with voltage dropper resistors *maybe*, but at that point you're better off just getting a 12V strip, they're dirt cheap anyways. you can get a 3-meter kit with controller and power supply for a tenner these days.

Thanks for the info!

so it is either I find some 12v rated rgb strips or some USB powered rgb controllers 

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you're REALLY craftsy with voltage dropper resistors *maybe*, but at that point you're better off just getting a 12V strip, they're dirt cheap anyways. you can get a 3-meter kit with controller and power supply for a tenner these days.

Bah, don't waste your time. Whilst perfectly possible, it would be a complete nightmare due to the power dissipated in the resistors. For the price, just get some 12v strip. High power rated resistors are generally pricey, and if you don't have the soldering equipment + skills to hook it up, it will wind up likely breaking something or being ultra expensive.

I'd be happy to help if you did want to go this route though.

Also, it may be addressable. In which case, see the link in my signature for a custom, mother board synced controller.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

6 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Bah, don't waste your time. Whilst perfectly possible, it would be a complete nightmare due to the power dissipated in the resistors. For the price, just get some 12v strip.

exactly my point.

• 4 months later...

I'm gonna venture a step further and point out that LED's are some of the most simple types of circuits.  a String of 5050 RGB LED's for example don't actually care if they get 5v or 12v, so long as the power draw doesn't exceed the maximum mAh supported by your RGB connector on your system board.  You have to do maths to determine the mAh drawn by each diode at each voltage.

I bought a set from wallyworld, made for TV bias lights, expects a 5v power source.  Cut a length of 7 bulbs off and soldered on a cable to connect to the 12v RGB_C1 header on my Gigabyte AB350N WiFi board.  The Diodes should only draw what they need.

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 5:26 AM, W-L said:

No the built in RGB system for the motherboards use the standard 12V RGB LED strips not the 5V type. 

is ARGB headers also use 12v ?

1 hour ago, Mohammad hossain said:

is ARGB headers also use 12v ?

No addressable LED headers on the motherboards are strictly 5V as they use the WS2818/B type LED's. 

Also please do not bump older threads. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2017 at 9:04 AM, unknownmiscreant said:

Bah, don't waste your time. Whilst perfectly possible, it would be a complete nightmare due to the power dissipated in the resistors. For the price, just get some 12v strip. High power rated resistors are generally pricey, and if you don't have the soldering equipment + skills to hook it up, it will wind up likely breaking something or being ultra expensive.

I'd be happy to help if you did want to go this route though.

Also, it may be addressable. In which case, see the link in my signature for a custom, mother board synced controller.

so

I'm from Brazil and I don't have RGB strips available either abundantly or by a fair price.

I did got a TV LED strip as a gift tho

it's one of those with a Music sensitive USB powered box and a remote

I have soldering skils and equipment due to arduino and some life experiences but very limited electronic knowledge

as far as I've measured on my multimeter

voltage wise it sends about 1V~3V max around the pins

I think it'd be fun to venture on a project like this just to find out if it can be done easily and maybe do a tutorial on reddit or something

sorry about reviving this old post

I secretly spent some points on my necromancer skill tree

44 minutes ago, Eerietom said:

so

I'm from Brazil and I don't have RGB strips available either abundantly or by a fair price.

I did got a TV LED strip as a gift tho

it's one of those with a Music sensitive USB powered box and a remote

I have soldering skils and equipment due to arduino and some life experiences but very limited electronic knowledge

as far as I've measured on my multimeter

voltage wise it sends about 1V~3V max around the pins

I think it'd be fun to venture on a project like this just to find out if it can be done easily and maybe do a tutorial on reddit or something

sorry about reviving this old post

I secretly spent some points on my necromancer skill tree

Start a new thread in hobby electronics, and post a pic of your led strip light kit, including: remote, controller and strip (I'm assuming the controller is not built into the strip).