650 or 750W

gekco

I currently have a 650W power supply, Corsair RM650x and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to upgrade to a 750W PSU. My system specs is as follows:

ASUS Strix GTX 1060 OC 6GB

Ryzen 5 1600

Asus B350 Strix 

8GB x2 DDR4 2666

2TB WD Black HDD

I don't plan on overclocking at all, from my understanding 650W should be enough for this system correct? 

I mean if its like a 650w non certified generic PSU, yeah upgrade,  otherwise, I dont see a need to.... unless its on sale for like 20 bucks or something.

Yup, more than enough. But if you can afford the 750w, it'll allow you more headroom when it comes to upgrades down the road.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.95GHz [1.365v] // Mobo: ASRock B350 Pro4 // GPU: EVGA GTX1070 8GB SC Black Edition

Case: NZXT S340 Elite // Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3066MHz // Misc: NZXT Hue+

Storage: WD Green 120GB M.2, SK HyniX 250GB SSD, Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate 3TB 7200RPM // PSU: Corsair RM750X

CPU-Z Validation // Userbenchmark // PC Part Picker

650W is way plenty for this system, even 550W would be fine. The RM650X is also a very high quality unit, so there would be almost zero reason for you to switch to a 750W.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, gekco said:

I currently have a 650W power supply, Corsair RM650x and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to upgrade to a 750W PSU. My system specs is as follows:

Ryzen 5 1600

Asus B350 Strix 

8GB x2 DDR4 2666

2TB WD Black HDD

I don't plan on overclocking at all, from my understanding 650W should be enough for this system correct? 

650W is about triple what that system will draw without OC. It's more than double what it would with OC. Don't bother with a 750W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, gekco said:

Ryzen 5 1600

Asus B350 Strix 

8GB x2 DDR4 2666

2TB WD Black HDD

More than enough.

Dude you could add another 1060 and still have plenty head room. (Is SLI still a thing btw? Not sure) 

2 minutes ago, Donny_Chen said:

I mean if its like a 650w non certified generic PSU, yeah upgrade,  otherwise, I dont see a need to.... unless its on sale for like 20 bucks or something.

Did you read the OP? 

1 minute ago, Donny_Chen said:

I mean if its like a 650w non certified generic PSU, yeah upgrade,  otherwise, I dont see a need to.

An RM650X is 80+ Gold. That considered as a good PSU.

1 minute ago, BrokeAFKid said:

Did you read the OP? 

4 minutes ago, Donny_Chen said:

10 minutes ago, BrokeAFKid said:

Dude you could add another 1060 and still have plenty head room. (Is SLI still a thing btw? Not sure) 

The 1060 doesn't support SLI, never has

:)

1 hour ago, gekco said:

Get a powermeter. 

Those things are cheap ant you know what your PC consumes.

What you need is something around 300-350W, what you want is a 400-450W because there ain't no good quality units under 400W on the market right now.

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

The 1060 doesn't support SLI, never has

Correct, that is only supported by the GP104 chips (1070 and up).

But even if it was possible, 650W would have been more than enough.

Hell I've used 650W for two Tahiti in their GHz version with a 650W...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Donny_Chen said:

Well, if you did read it you should have written that differently. 'if it was like' 'yeah you should/ I'd' The way you wrote it implies you didn't read it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone thanks for the comments, I will stick with my 650 watt PSU.