Are my Xeon's too slow?

shwiftyrift

Hi all,

I got a new mobo/cpu combo off of ebay. I bought it because it was 600 bucks and it was a great deal. The problem is that games lag really bad on the system. Fallout 4, Crysis 2, Payday 2, etc. stutter and drop frames. I previously had an i5 system that ran these games at 60fps just fine, most of them on ultra settings. I know that this system is not really designed for gaming but I don't see any real reason why the system should lag like this. I also do Premiere Video editing so I need the power, but would like to game if possible. 

The system specs are:

Dual Xeon e5-2670 @ 2.6GHz

64 GB Samsung ECC Ram

EVGA SR-X Classified Motherboard 

EVGA Supernova 1000W PSU

Gigabyte RX480 8gb

Toshiba OCZ 480 GB SDD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Any insight that anyone can give would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, shwiftyrift said:

Hi all,

I got a new mobo/cpu combo off of ebay. I bought it because it was 600 bucks and it was a great deal. The problem is that games lag really bad on the system. Fallout 4, Crysis 2, Payday 2, etc. stutter and drop frames. I previously had an i5 system that ran these games at 60fps just fine, most of them on ultra settings. I know that this system is not really designed for gaming but I don't see any real reason why the system should lag like this. I also do Premiere Video editing so I need the power, but would like to game if possible. 

The system specs are:

Dual Xeon e5-2670 @ 2.6GHz

64 GB Samsung ECC Ram

EVGA SR-X Classified Motherboard 

EVGA Supernova 1000W PSU

Gigabyte RX480 8gb

Toshiba OCZ 480 GB SDD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Any insight that anyone can give would be appreciated.

i think its the intel xeon that sscrewing you over, it might bottlenecking the rx480

Short answer is that games will not be able to use all of the cores and thus will be hampered by the lower speed.

Depending on the games you might see a 20 FPS drop compared to a beefy i5

That's what i was thinking but I don't know why it would happen. The clockspeed is decent and meets the requirements of most games. P

Just now, Dujith said:

Short answer is that games will not be able to use all of the cores and thus will be hampered by the lower speed.

Depending on the games you might see a 20 FPS drop compared to a beefy i5

So if I were to disable one of the cpus and only let my games use a certain number of cores then it would solve the problem?

Your system spec seem fine. I doubt 2 Xeon would be to slow. I would be looking for hardware conflict or software issue.

Just now, RedSector said:

Your system spec seem fine. I doubt 2 Xeon would be to slow. I would be looking for hardware conflict or software issue.

If my ssd were for some reason not running at max speed, would that be the problem. Also, my card is running at pcie 16x gen 2, is that too slow, i dont imagine why it would be though.

1 minute ago, shwiftyrift said:

So if I were to disable one of the cpus and only let my games use a certain number of cores then it would solve the problem?

That will not do anything. Since there is no boost clock for Xeon it wouldnt matter anyway.

I forgot to mention that there are some cpu pins that are bent on cpu 1 but i disabled cpu1 and the problems still persist.

Those Xeon's are quick enough.
If we compare that to laptops running at 2.30GHz play games fine. (Not exactly the same but still)

What you could try is opening task manager and letting games use only 4 cores.

Like you've suggested yourself.
Some games indeed lag out when a system has "too much cores"

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

If my ssd were for some reason not running at max speed, would that be the problem. Also, my card is running at pcie 16x gen 2, is that too slow, i dont imagine why it would be though.

no and no

try DDU of the driver for video card then reinstall.  Make sure Direct X is fully updated.

I forgot to mention that there are some cpu pins that are bent on cpu 1 but i disabled cpu1 and the problems still persist.

Try physically removing it, bent pins are known to cause instabilities & weird issue's.

That is probably the culprit right there.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, Sfekke said:

Those Xeon's are quick enough.
If we compare that to laptops running at 2.30GHz play games fine. (Not exactly the same but still)

What you could try is opening task manager and letting games use only 4 cores.

Like you've suggested yourself.
Some games indeed lag out when a system has "too much cores"

Should i let it use the hyperthreaded cores or should i just make it use the phisical cores?

Just now, shwiftyrift said:

Should i let it use the hyperthreaded cores or should i just make it use the phisical cores?

Physical ones.

And remove the CPU that is bent, it might still cause issue's even when it is enabled.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

4 minutes ago, shwiftyrift said:

That would be your hardware issue right there....

Upon actually looking it is CPU 0 that has bent pins. So for the last hour or so i have been trying to bend them back into place. It is missing one of the pins so that i definately a big problem. Ill be running stress tests and ill post results in a while.

So initially the fps in the games increased! However then they went down again after a reboot. It turns out that it was not my cpus at all but the clockspeeds of my gpu. There was a conflict between MSI afterburner and wattman and it set my boost clock of my gpu to 970 mhz. I changed some settings and now everything works as intended.