is it okay to run my pc 24/7

gimme 20 dollaz
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

For the most part, it's probably fine, but you may have reduced component life expectancy. But as mentioned above, do you have any reason to leave it on 24/7? Instead of letting it run constantly, you can put it into sleep mode.

just wondering if i can run my pc 24/7 

here's some of my pc components temperature

good.png

Yeah you can potentially run any computer 24/7, servers and mining rigs do it all the time but if you're just a day to day casual kinda user I see no reason to leave it on 24/7

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

For the most part, it's probably fine, but you may have reduced component life expectancy. But as mentioned above, do you have any reason to leave it on 24/7? Instead of letting it run constantly, you can put it into sleep mode.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To add onto @Gamessys's explanation, consumer parts aren't engineered for this type of stress.

If you get server parts, go ahead but after a while you may see performance degradation. Not just because hardware but also because Consumer Windows doesn't handle long uptimes as well as Server Windows.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, Gamessys said:

Yeah you can potentially run any computer 24/7, servers and mining rigs do it all the time but if you're just a day to day casual kinda user I see no reason to leave it on 24/7

I agree. I would advise you to not leave it on all the time, but for practical reasons such as power usage rather than component damage - just put it to sleep or something.

The only reason I would advise against it is if you have something like a sketchy HDD that is already starting to fail.

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

consumer parts aren't engineered for this type of stress.

Tell that to my consumer grade hardware server running constantly, including the disks constantly spinning :P 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

ell that to my consumer grade hardware server running constantly, including the disks constantly spinning :P 

I'm not saying they'll break or anything.

Just saying they aren't over engineered as much as server stuff :P

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Computers can do 24/7.  Just note, unless you have it doing something, it kind of a waste to leave it running.  As others stated, best to either set to sleep mode or turn it off.

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Tell that to my consumer grade hardware server running constantly, including the disks constantly spinning :P 

No kidding, as a 24/7 folder and boincer.  I have hardware that run for years.  Only time the hardware gets a break is for cleaning and some updates on the OS and drivers.  At most enterprise hardware gets those nice longer warranties and support.  I worked around some enterprise equipment and I seen those break as much as consumer level hardware.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

53 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not really

Depends on the usage of course.

When we are talking about a normal "idling server" like a file server that waits most of the time, it shouldn't be the case.

If we are talking about a mining rig however, you are absolutely correct.

The problem is that the starting of something stresses it the most.

That's why most lightbulb die when you flip the switch and rarely in use.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Not really

Depends on the usage of course.

When we are talking about a normal "idling server" like a file server that waits most of the time, it shouldn't be the case.

If we are talking about a mining rig however, you are absolutely correct.

I didn't state component lifespan reduction would be a definite thing, but even under idling conditions, the components are still experiencing a load of some kind, including the fans, pumps, spindles in hard drives, etc. And the power supply is going to experience degradation.

I NEVER shut down my computer.  EVER.

In fact, I'm a little nervous.  I want to mod my PSU with some stenciling and red paint and add a sound card and I'm worried about what will happen when I fire it up again.  :D

I would make sure my pc is on a good ups besides that leaving it on won't hurt anything but a tiny bit of your power bill.My old pc i left on always it was the only one in the house and my brother and me gamed on it a lot and it ran prefect,I only replaced it because it got too old to play games,I still have it and fire it up sometimes just to feel old lol.

I don't see any problem with leaving PC on all the time ... it's what I do, and I never had any problems.

Even when I go on vacations for 10 days, my PC is still running xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

You can. But why?
Anyway I leave my computer 24x7 from time to time. Using it for 8years+ now.

Make sure to have extra juice in PSU though. That's the first one to degrade.