1060 gtx to AMD equivelent

killsign

So I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G when I built my pc last year. I recently purchased a 144hz 1080p monitor with freesync so im looking to convert my build to AMD and would like to buy an equivalent gpu that isnt going to kill my wallet I can spend 400$ if its going to make a big enough difference. 

the equivalent to the 1060 6GB on the AMD side is the RX 480/580 8GB, but there's literally no reason to do that. an NVidia card will work just as well as an AMD card in a system with an AMD CPU.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

RX 580 will suffice, though you will have to reduce settings in some games.

However I strongly recommend you to save up an extra 50 bucks or so and get a Vega 56 instead.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

the equivalent to the 1060 6GB on the AMD side is the RX 480/580 8GB, but there's literally no reason to do that. an NVidia card will work just as well as an AMD card in a system with an AMD CPU.

Im swapping to an amd graphics card to utilize the freesync on my monitor 

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

RX 580 will suffice, though you will have to reduce settings in some games.

However I strongly recommend you to save up an extra 50 bucks or so and get a Vega 56 instead.

How much am I looking at for one of those also arent those impossible to find due to the miners?

9 minutes ago, killsign said:

Wait for after market Vega 56 cards

Or find someone with a 580 to trade with

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, killsign said:

Im swapping to an amd graphics card to utilize the freesync on my monitor 

Ah. good point.

Just now, killsign said:

How much am I looking at for one of those also arent those impossible to find due to the miners?

$260-$320

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=RX 580 8GB&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Streetguru said:

Wait for after market Vega 56 cards

Or find someone with a 580 to trade with

when will after market come and how much of a difference will that 580 be performance wise? Also your always responding to my posts thanks!

when will after market come and how much of a difference will that 580 be performance wise? Also your always responding to my posts thanks!

Vega 56 is about 40-50% faster than the 580 IIRC.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Just now, Phentos said:

Vega 56 is about 40-50% faster than the 580 IIRC.

how about compared to my gtx1060 if its not much ill just swap until I can get my hands on a vega

Just now, killsign said:

how about compared to my gtx1060 if its not much ill just swap until I can get my hands on a vega

the 1060 and 580 will perform roughly the same so the Vega 56 will still perform about 40-50% faster than it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

19 minutes ago, killsign said:

So I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G when I built my pc last year. I recently purchased a 144hz 1080p monitor with freesync so im looking to convert my build to AMD and would like to buy an equivalent gpu that isnt going to kill my wallet I can spend 400$ if its going to make a big enough difference. 

intel & nvidia > AMD

Just now, KillerWolf17 said:

intel & nvidia > AMD

But I want to join the good business practices of the red team.

But I want to join the good business practices of the red team.

its cheaper because its worse quality and the software is pretty bad, also its not always the performance that is advertised imo

Just now, KillerWolf17 said:

its cheaper because its worse quality and the software is pretty bad, also its not always the performance that is advertised imo

shhh dont tell me that im already commited

9 minutes ago, killsign said:

A lot of reviewers have been getting their Power Color Vega cards in, so I assume very soon, XFX also showed off their after market Vega card.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, KillerWolf17 said:

intel & nvidia > AMD

1 minute ago, KillerWolf17 said:

lol u do u bb

5 minutes ago, KillerWolf17 said:

Do you have any evidence for your claims?

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

A lot of reviewers have been getting their Power Color Vega cards in, so I assume very soon, XFX also showed off their after market Vega card.

what kind of price can expect a vega for aftermarket?

Just now, killsign said:

Probably a small premium of $50 or less, depending if things are at MSRP as well, the power color and XFX card look promising. The ASUS card has been ready to go for a while, but they had to work out some BIOS issues before launch.

https://hothardware.com/news/powercolors-cutstom-radeon-rx-vega-64-red-devil-overclocked-preorder

Spoiler

MSRP, or after mining craze markup? lol

Just now, zarcondeegrissom said:

MSRP, or after mining craze markup? lol

Whichever one a chimp like me is going to end up paying lol

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably a small premium of $50 or less, depending if things are at MSRP as well, the power color and XFX card look promising. The ASUS card has been ready to go for a while, but they had to work out some BIOS issues before launch.

https://hothardware.com/news/powercolors-cutstom-radeon-rx-vega-64-red-devil-overclocked-preorder

I'll second that. the MSRP will probably be a bit more than the defacto AMD thing. tho with the mining craze hykes in prices, who knows.

28 minutes ago, killsign said:

Pretty much exactly the same.  The 1060/480/580 are near identical.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440