Unaccounted for data on disk, please help!

David1521

First of all I cleared all my restore points I only had 4.6 gigabytes, I ran Disk Cleanup and clicked cleanup system files and deleted everything over a gig. I also ran CCleaner and deleted a lot of temporary files through that.

I went to local disk and clicked show hidden folders and files, and I right clicked and clicked properties on each of those folders and added up the total, it was just under 240 gigabytes. My local disk says that it has 147 gigabytes free of 475. I have a Samsung 950 pro m.2 drive so I really don't want to have to buy a 1 tb one in the near future. I deleted all the games that I don't play often off of it as well.

475-147 is 328, NOT 240 like it should be.

So I looked it up online and on a form somewhere they were told to install TreeSize which is a program that's free for 30 days, to see where all the files are that are taking up storage. So I did that, and here is a screenshot of it.

I looked through everything and this is the only suspicious data that I see, but it still doesn't account for the entire 88 gigs (240-328) missing.

Do I have a virus? I have malwarebytes pro and antiexploit malware bytes and kaspersky antivirus and I'm running an i7 6800k and gtx 1080 with 64 gigs of ram and an Asus Rampage 5 extreme edition 10 mobo with all drivers installed and a password protected UEFI bios, and 64 gigs of ram. I shouldn't have a virus right? But what other explanation is there for that missing data?

Data1.PNG

Here is how much it says when I click properties on my explorer and see how much data is being used, but when I go into Drive C and right click on each folder and click properties and add up all the folder sizes it equals just under 240 gigs:

Data2.PNG

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

How much data is showing as being used on the disk when you right click it in Explorer and click Properties? Does it match what TreeSize shows (~346GB)? 

It sounds like you're panicking about nothing. The files you mentioned there are all 100% normal Windows files. Hiberfil is a static file used for windows hibernation, the pagefile is obvious (paging data), swapfile is used during startup for the boot manager. bootmgr and bootnxt are used for windows startup (bootnxt is for specifying alternate startup routines).

6 minutes ago, Tabs said:

How much data is showing as being used on the disk when you right click it in Explorer and click Properties? Does it match what TreeSize shows (~346GB)? 

It sounds like you're panicking about nothing. The files you mentioned there are all 100% normal Windows files. Hiberfil is a static file used for windows hibernation, the pagefile is obvious (paging data), swapfile is used during startup for the boot manager. bootmgr and bootnxt are used for windows startup (bootnxt is for specifying alternate startup routines).

Ok so that accounts for 35 gigs of the 88 missing. Where's the remaining 53 gigs?

Btw I updated my post to include what you asked for.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

Use windirstat to see everything on the disk.

There are things like page file and hibernation and other partitions that also take up space but are not "hidden folders".

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, David1521 said:

Ok so that accounts for 35 gigs of the 88 missing. Where's the remaining 53 gigs?

Btw I updated my post to include what you asked for.

I can't see where you're getting this missing data from mate; Treesize shows ~346GB in use and Explorer shows 326GB in use. Explorer will be including data in file streams and the MFT, and will also be discounting the size of files that are hard/soft or symlinked (like every file that is within the Winsxs directory and is also in use; these files are linked so that only one copy exists on the disk, but show as "being" in multiple places. FileTree will count these as 2 files, and inflate the figure of on-disk data.)

If you right click an individual folder in Explorer (not the drive) it will only be able to tell you the size of files/folders it has direct access to - anything that doesn't strictly have read permissions will be ignored completely (files used by TrustedInstaller for example), so if you just manually count the sizes from each folder in turn you'll get a widely inaccurate report of disk usage.

If you have Hibernation enabled, Windows reserves a hidden file the same size as your RAM for storing all data that's in RAM when it hibernates.  From your signature, you have 64GB of RAM, so if Hibernation is enabled, your system has a 64GB hiberfil.sys hidden system file at the root of C:\

Open up the System Volume Information folder if you have System Restor turned on. Or rather, check how much space system restore / volume shadow copy is using.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-system-restore-windows-10

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 11/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, kirashi said:

Open up the System Volume Information folder if you have System Restor turned on. Or rather, check how much space system restore / volume shadow copy is using.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-system-restore-windows-10

I already addressed that in my post.

On 11/19/2017 at 4:45 PM, AshleyAshes said:

If you have Hibernation enabled, Windows reserves a hidden file the same size as your RAM for storing all data that's in RAM when it hibernates.  From your signature, you have 64GB of RAM, so if Hibernation is enabled, your system has a 64GB hiberfil.sys hidden system file at the root of C:\

Is this true?

1 minute ago, David1521 said:

Is this true?

No.  It's a total lie.  I made it facts that you most certainly couldn't just Google to confirm with about 30 seconds of effort because I thought it'd be funny.  Did you not sense the sarcasm in my entire post about hibernation?  BTW, if you're reading any sarcasm in THIS post, I assure you that you are mistaken.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

No.  It's a total lie.  I made it facts that you most certainly couldn't just Google to confirm with about 30 seconds of effort because I thought it'd be funny.  Did you not sense the sarcasm in my entire post about hibernation?  BTW, if you're reading any sarcasm in THIS post, I assure you that you are mistaken.

Lol ok, thanks!

My preferred tool in these cases is called "Space Sniffer".

It works in a similar fashion as the other applications you've been recommended, but it's MUCH MORE VISUAL and easy to digest/understand.

Go Download Space Sniffer, and post a screenshot.

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html

Make sure to Run-As Administrator when you launch Space Sniffer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)