Degradation

Go to solution Solved by CrippledROBOT,
1 minute ago, JungleOreo said:

Okay, thank you all, so I hope I will get at least 5 years of satisfaction, I actually have my PC which is powerful, but I need laptop for school using and it has that Pentium CPU, but I think, that internet browsing, using Spotify and watching YouTube won't make it less than 5 years. Thank you all.

If you're doing that, taking good care of it (not getting it wet, spilling stuff on it, dropping it, throwing it on your bed and letting it heat up for hours, holding it by the screen and carrying it, crushing it with textbooks, etc), I expect at least 4 years (outside of some unusual hardware failure). If you're really worried, get an extended warranty. 

Cheers friend and good luck!

Hello, I have a question about degradation.

How can CPU degrade? By simple using for many years? If I use my low-end CPU for few years with office and internet using, can I feel the degradation or some slow down? Thanks

8 minutes ago, JungleOreo said:

How can CPU degrade? By simple using for many years? If I use my low-end CPU for few years with office and internet using, can I feel the degradation or some slow down? Thanks

The first thing to kill a CPU is voltage. The second is thermals. As for your CPU, assuming no overclocking or overvolting, even those basic tasks will eventually kill the chip (though not for MANY years, upwards of 10 unless some other issue comes up). Take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Eventually, the connections on the CPU are "loosened" and electrons stop going to where they needed to go and you get slowdowns, errors, etc. 

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

The first thing to kill a CPU is voltage. The second is thermals. 

Well technically the first thing to kill it would be putting it in wrong >:Y But I'm just being a smartass so you're correct lol

Intel claims that their CPU will live up to 15 years of usage on their stock configurations.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Brentar said:

Well technically the first thing to kill it would be putting it in wrong >:Y But I'm just being a smartass so you're correct lol

Or doing a Linus and dropping it! ;)

I dont want to overclock or anything, I just want normal usage as I said, I plan to buy a laptop for few years usage with kinda cheap CPU, so just asking if it gets slow by some time.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Intel claims that their CPU will live up to 15 years of usage on their stock configurations.

And if you can undervolt it, basic thermodynamics and electrical engineering indicates even greater lifespan! :D

5 minutes ago, JungleOreo said:

Everything degrades with usage, especially with the CPU experiencing voltage whenever it's functioning, and thermal expansion/contractions during usage(load going up and down, along with voltage). I would say that under light usage, the CPU should last many years, perhaps even outlasting the thermal compound that's on the heatspreader.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

with normal usage degredation is minimal, and the degredation that IS there generally wont be noticable untill the CPU is basically useless anyway and thats with daily use

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, JungleOreo said:

I dont want to overclock or anything, I just want normal usage as I said, I plan to buy a laptop for few years usage with kinda cheap CPU, so just asking if it gets slow by some time.

no. nothing noticeable in like 20years maybe

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I have an original pentium, the one made with ceramic, and it still works :U

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Or doing a Linus and dropping it! ;)

how... how do you kill a CPU by dropping it? they are pretty solid you know...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, JungleOreo said:

If the CPU outlives the thermal compound, it might get slower technically if the chip starts to overheat, or the laptop will always be loud(if it's normally quiet).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well if its the old ceramic ones you could shatter it :Y or bend pins, or drop it into a vat of molten lava or something... LOL

Board damage, and components breaking off the back.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Any chip with the pins directly ON the CPU are at risk for being bent and even destroyed.

The CPU I am talking about is Intel Pentium N4200 btw, its not that bad but still... Need it for many years of normal usage

The CPU I am talking about is Intel Pentium N4200 btw, its not that bad but still... Need it for many years of normal usage

It's a low power CPU for sure, and I don't know how long it will technically last as it's not particularly strong. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Board damage, and components breaking off the back.

thats dropping it onto the board, i was assumeing just a drop on the floor.

Any chip with the pins directly ON the CPU are at risk for being bent and even destroyed. 

i have dropped plenty of 478 and AM3 chips, the pins have never broken. i have bent pins to hell and back and they are still on there, and most of the time they dont even move much

Builds:

Spoiler

thats dropping it onto the board, i was assumeing just a drop on the floor.

No, when I said board damage, I mean the board on the CPU. It's a PCB that's holding everything together, aside from the solder.

While I cannot be 100% certain, the CPU is generally not the first thing to die. Assuming frequent use, as someone who works in IT/personal experience, the first thing to go is battery life. The second is storage. Third is screen/keyboard/trackpad (or second). The fourth is motherboard (various issues). The fifth and final is generally the CPU. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It's a low power CPU for sure, and I don't know how long it will technically last as it's not particularly strong. 

It has only 6 TDP (can make also 4 TDP), I guess it is made for saving the battery. I hope the smoothness lasts for at least 5 years...

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That is a good point. The CPU may honestly become irrelevant by the time its actually "nearing" the end of its life. 

While I cannot be 100% certain, the CPU is generally not the first thing to die. Assuming frequent use, as someone who works in IT/personal experience, the first thing to go is battery life. The second is storage. Third is screen/keyboard/trackpad (or second). The fourth is motherboard (various issues). The fifth and final is generally the CPU. 

Well, you're right, but I am the person who knows how to deal with batteries and I try to make their lives as long as possible.