Degradation

Go to solution Solved by CrippledROBOT,
1 minute ago, JungleOreo said:

Okay, thank you all, so I hope I will get at least 5 years of satisfaction, I actually have my PC which is powerful, but I need laptop for school using and it has that Pentium CPU, but I think, that internet browsing, using Spotify and watching YouTube won't make it less than 5 years. Thank you all.

If you're doing that, taking good care of it (not getting it wet, spilling stuff on it, dropping it, throwing it on your bed and letting it heat up for hours, holding it by the screen and carrying it, crushing it with textbooks, etc), I expect at least 4 years (outside of some unusual hardware failure). If you're really worried, get an extended warranty. 

Cheers friend and good luck!

Just now, JungleOreo said:

It has only 6 TDP (can make also 4 TDP), I guess it is made for saving the battery. I hope the smoothness lasts for at least 5 years...

Remember, the TDP is measured in watts. So it's not really "6 TDP." The TDP is 6W or 4W.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Remember, the TDP is measured in watts. So it's not really "6 TDP." The TDP is 6W or 4W.

Yea, that's what I meant :D

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

While I cannot be 100% certain, the CPU is generally not the first thing to die. Assuming frequent use, as someone who works in IT/personal experience, the first thing to go is battery life. The second is storage. Third is screen/keyboard/trackpad (or second). The fourth is motherboard (various issues). The fifth and final is generally the CPU. 

BUT you're forgetting one thing, device support, he said it was a pentium of sorts, thats already pretty old and we're in the age of quad core and up, dual and single cores are almost hardly supported, and a pentium would probably be dropped from support in a few years... 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats dropping it onto the board, i was assumeing just a drop on the floor.

i have dropped plenty of 478 and AM3 chips, the pins have never broken. i have bent pins to hell and back and they are still on there, and most of the time they dont even move much

I'll admit that I've actually dropped an old FX 6100 chip on the floor of our IT room and the pins were so ****** that repair was effectively a waste of time, especially given the cost of one of those CPUs. The pins were so bent from a 5 foot fall that using tools to restand them actually made them loose. :o

Just now, JungleOreo said:

Yea, that's what I meant :D

Well, so then, my question is, for how long can I expect the smoothness of the laptop with some basic specs? 4 gigs of RAM, Intel HDG 505, this CPU, Windows 10?

3 minutes ago, Brentar said:

BUT you're forgetting one thing, device support, he said it was a pentium of sorts, thats already pretty old and we're in the age of quad core and up, dual and single cores are almost hardly supported, and a pentium would probably be dropped from support in a few years... 

That is also very true! I'm more referring the electrical longevity of the hardware itself. But you're absolutely right. That chip and system will become technologically irrelevant before it dies. Despite its 4 cores, its will likely become irrelevant sooner than electronic death

Another thing to say, that this pentium is from 2016 and is Apollo Lake, it isn't any old pentium btw. it is based on Goldmont, which borrows a lot from Skylake

I'll admit that I've actually dropped an old FX 6100 chip on the floor of our IT room and the pins were so ****** that repair was effectively a waste of time, especially given the cost of one of those CPUs. The pins were so bent from a 5 foot fall that using tools to restand them actually made them loose. :o

Thats when you just cut them all off and then use a donor CPU, unsolder those pins, place em in the socket and hope for the best lol

Just now, Brentar said:

Thats when you just cut them all off and then use a donor CPU, unsolder those pins, place em in the socket and hope for the best lol

I mean anything is possible! That would have been an interesting project xD

2 minutes ago, Brentar said:

The CPU is a quad core.

https://ark.intel.com/products/95592/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N4200-2M-Cache-up-to-2_5-GHz

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Brentar said:

THERES A QUAD CORE PENTIUM??? >_>

YUP! They're rather good for low power applications! I have one on a SOC for a project of mine

Just now, Brentar said:

Yes, I tried it in my local shop and it does really well with multitasking and playing 4k videos.

YUP! They're rather good for low power applications! I have one on a SOC for a project of mine

I'd still expect it to be running near 90-100% most of the time since it IS a pentium...

1 minute ago, Brentar said:

I'd still expect it to be running near 90-100% most of the time since it IS a pentium...

Nah, was looking with task manager and it doesnt run full load all the time, even when dealing with some programs and stuff.

3 minutes ago, JungleOreo said:

Another thing to say, that this pentium is from 2016 and is Apollo Lake, it isn't any old pentium btw. it is based on Goldmont, which borrows a lot from Skylake

Here's the thing about laptops. Its rare that you'll get more than 5 years of HAPPY/ENJOYABLE use out of them unless you're spending big bucks. Now that is not the same for EVERYONE. I've seen people carrying around old Macbooks from 2010. But after that amount of time, one of the many features tends to break or fail. At that point you're looking at a full rebuild or replacement.

1 minute ago, Brentar said:

You'd think so, but my SOC with the same chip is actually really impressive! Would you want to play GTA 5 or Battlefield 1 on it? No. BUT, if you're watching Netflix, Hulu, Typing an essay (and not doing much else), its a fine processor! And it SIPS power.

Here's the thing about laptops. Its rare that you'll get more than 5 years of HAPPY/ENJOYABLE use out of them unless you're spending big bucks. Now that is not the same for EVERYONE. I've seen people carrying around old Macbooks from 2010. But after that amount of time, one of the many features tends to break or fail. At that point you're looking at a full rebuild or replacement.

And macbooks are shitty sooo

And that's what I'm scared of. But I think I am really gentle and I care about my laptop, so I hope that that at least helps.

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

You'd think so, but my SOC with the same chip is actually really impressive! Would you want to play GTA 5 or Battlefield 1 on it? No. BUT, if you're watching Netflix, Hulu, Typing an essay (and not doing much else), its a fine processor! And it SIPS power.

That's what I am planning to do with it - simple tasks, watching videos, doing office things, browsing internet.

Just now, Brentar said:

And macbooks are shitty sooo

Debatable. I personally despise them, but their build quality is frequently outstanding and their OS can be great for people who grew up with it. I'm a Windows/Linux man until death, regardless xD

8 minutes ago, Brentar said:

Yeah.

I had a similar CPU(N2830), but it was the dual core model, and I benched it with Cinebench. It ran at 2.17GHz during the benches(highest speed), and achieved a score of 67 in the full blown CPU test. If you double the score to simulate the increased core count, and then add 13.4% for the clock speed difference under turbo, it gets a score of 151.42. Though you won't hit turbo very much unless you can configure it that way.

Not a perfect way of measuring it, but I think it'd be pretty close.

EDIT:

Extrapolating it again, it would get around 65.66 for a final score.

Debatable. I personally despise them, but their build quality is frequently outstanding and their OS can be great for people who grew up with it. I'm a Windows/Linux man until death, regardless xD

build quality as in structure maybe, but they are PRONE to having failed components on the motherboard, are EXPENSIVE to fix, because Apple makes you go to them, then they don't even fix it right, and they try to sell you a new product instead. not to mention they're overpriced and I can go on and on and on about it lol

1 minute ago, JungleOreo said:

And that's what I'm scared of. But I think I am really gentle and I care about my laptop, so I hope that that at least helps.

Remember, nothing is TRULY future proof! The better you treat your toys, the longer they last! In all seriousness, you're looking at like 5 years of REAL enjoyment. Expect some slowdown 2 years in and intermittent component failure past 5 years. You may get a golden apple and it'll last 15 years, who knows. I've seen some laptops from the early 2000s and they're extremely slow and buggy, but they work! There are also high end machines from the mid-late 2000s that were top of the line and now have broken keys and the trackpad is dead. 

Remember, nothing is TRULY future proof! The better you treat your toys, the longer they last! In all seriousness, you're looking at like 5 years of REAL enjoyment. Expect some slowdown 2 years in and intermittent component failure past 5 years. You may get a golden apple and it'll last 15 years, who knows. I've seen some laptops from the early 2000s and they're extremely slow and buggy, but they work! There are also high end machines from the mid-late 2000s that were top of the line and now have broken keys and the trackpad is dead. 

Well, my laptop - Acer Swift 1 - looks like it has quality build. Take a look, it is the newer model with alluminum body and small 13.3 inches display. Cool notebook, maybe considerable as ultrabook.