[UPDATE 2] EA Listened To Your Half Million Downvotes, Price Of Heroes Dropped 75% In Star Wars Battlefront 2

iamdarkyoshi

What they didn't mention is that rewards also dropped with 75% so they didn't solve the issue...

If you thought EA was nice enough to do a massive price cut and leaving the rest as is, think again, it's EA.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=news&y=2017&m=11&d=13&WeblogPostName=wheres-our-star-wars-battlefront-ii-review&GroupKeys=&utm_content=buffer3929d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I have a rule of thumb regarding things like loot boxes and other in-game purchases.

Is the game still good even if you removed the option to pay real money for things? If the answer is yes then it's acceptable to have microtransactions because the game itself is good and is perfectly fine to play without spending extra money.

For example Overwatch has cosmetic lootboxes. They don't really impact the game in any meaningful way, and it's fairly easy to get lootboxes without spending real life money on them. Therefore I think they are fine.

In Battlefront there is a significant difference in how enjoyable the game is based on how much money you spend. Either grind for 40 hours or pay us a few bucks in order to play with the character you want. That's bad.

11 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

What they didn't mention is that rewards also dropped with 75% so they didn't solve the issue...

If you thought EA was nice enough to do a massive price cut and leaving the rest as is, think again, it's EA.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=news&y=2017&m=11&d=13&WeblogPostName=wheres-our-star-wars-battlefront-ii-review

Holy shit, really? So nothing really changed in the end...

I hope EA gets even more backlash from this because they are clearly trying to deceive people.

Wasn't planning on buying the game anyway. Was never a big Star Wars guy so.
When someone drops the price 75% (specially this quickly) you have to know that ether:

1. The product is really not worth much at all to them.
  2. They were purposely high balling you. - for Foot in door tactics / psychology of feeling like you got a deal.
  3. They want to make good PR out of bad PR, and make further opposition look unreasonable to others.
  4. All of the above

Number 3 is quite important here. They can spin it as "They listened to the players!" and people will buy into that.
Then any non gaming news media that picks up on this will report how unreasonable it sounds that someone reduced the price 75% and people are still complaining its too much, or that they want it for free, making the complainers look entitled even if their demands aren't unreasonable when you are informed.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Holy shit, really? So nothing really changed in the end...

I hope EA gets even more backlash from this because they are clearly trying to deceive people.

Yeah it is getting a really big sh*tstorm right now. News sites are reporting about it so the world is still spreading and there will be an EA ama on reddit in 2 days or something. We already know what will happen.

It also blew up on /r/pcmr and /r/gaming, some of it also leaked to /r/funny and /r/jokes so it does seem like it's speading all over reddit and from there it's just a small jump for most people to jump onto the topic.

And the further you dig the worse it gets. Gamespot for example did some research and spend 100 bucks on lootcrates to see what they would get for it. It was a disaster...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2s-microtransactions-are-a-r/1100-6454825/

It actually shows very well how broken the game is and makes it very clear (at least for me) why people are mad.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

"Clusterfuck", "control the narrative"..tossing ethics and journalists..the name "Feminymphist"..this seems as legit as dual VEGA GPU card existing in real life.

My internal alarm is shouting GamerGate troll with those word choices than someone actually in PR. I could be wrong, but I don't see conclusive proof to say otherwise.

He's right at least in part, he said they'd make minor changes to look like they fixed it when they didn't. Supposedly although they've cut how much things cost they've also cut how much you earn by the same proportion, so it's back to square one.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/13/wheres-our-star-wars-battlefront-ii-review.aspx?utm_content=buffer3929d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I vet the games I choose to play which contain micro-transactions very carefully.

@iamdarkyoshi EA also reduced the reward for completing the campaign, so while the situation is overall better than before it is not as good as some think.

Also, EA has now removed the refund button for Battlefront 2. The only way to refund Battlefront 2 is now to contact EA's support and ask for a refund.

Remember when people were praising Origin for having such a great customer support?

14 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

He's right at least in part, he said they'd make minor changes to look like they fixed it when they didn't. Supposedly although they've cut how much things cost they've also cut how much you earn by the same proportion, so it's back to square one.

So they decrease the cost and the rewards? What!? This is bad. Hopefully, the gaming community can boycott these shenanigans. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

@iamdarkyoshi EA also reduced the reward for completing the campaign, so while the situation is overall better than before it is not as good as some think.

Also, EA has now removed the refund button for Battlefront 2. The only way to refund Battlefront 2 is now to contact EA's support and ask for a refund.

Remember when people were praising Origin for having such a great customer support?

Alright

That is just unacceptable.

Thanks for sharing, link has been added to OP.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

They even added cards to fucking Need For Speed, but guess what? Those cosmetic unlocks that you WIN after races? Yeah now you gotta PAY to equip them.

That's right, the game gives you cosmetic items then charges you virtual currency to fucking equip them?

Gaming is officially dead.

Hey, those in-game car mechanics don't work for free y'know.:P

I'll buy this game on a deep sale for the campaign. I've never bought a loot box in my life and I don't intend to. I want to play the campaign and want to support the fact it's there so I will buy the game, just when it's worth the price of the content I'll actually play.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Alright

That is just unacceptable.

Thanks for sharing, link has been added to OP.

The amount of credits you recieve was reduced by 75% as well, effectively making it no change at all to the credit system.

On top of which you can only earn a certain number of credits. There are users with screen shots being told to wait another 14 hours to earn more. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If you don't pay the dev to work overtime, then don't expect them to work overtime. Its always easy to quote OW and CSGO as examples for pure cosmetics. But you ignore the fact that those games go for at least 5 years without replacement. Only then will people see enough value in cosmetics to be willing to pay.

Paying the devs for overtime? That's what EA does. I'm sure every DICE developer is paid the same if not better than the Blizzard employees that develop OW, and they add free content all the time for no extra cost. HOW DO THEY DO IT?? CS and OW have one price for the game and development is always ongoing. 

I don't understand what you mean by this. I quoted OW and CS:GO because they are thriving, profitable multiplayer games that are cheap and also have zero advantages that can be earned by paying money. Skins and voice lines are cosmetics for fun that you don't even need to purchase. In this game, you can gain an advantage by paying for loot boxes and getting power-ups, like in CoD and Halo 5. Though I still don't get what you mean by this.

Battlefield/Battlefront clearly does not have a similar develoment cycle. This game is 100% going to be superseded by a new BF title in 2018/2019. And then the fact that the Star Wars IP is not owned by EA and they do not have the creative freedom to make wild cosmetics like OW.

EA/DICE have taken many creative freedoms in these two Battlefront games. Not saying they'll add rainbow skins for stormtroopers, and I'm not saying they should. The first Battlefront already had plenty of cosmetics. By mentioning the dev cycle, are you trying to justify a $60 price tag (every other year, can be $80 for day-one DLC!) AND adding microtransactions? I think that it does the reverse.

I'm not saying EA is a saint, but rather the community reaction is just blown out of proportion. Time and time again EA has proven to be one of the most responsive to customer feedback. They clearly do not deserve all this shit thrown at them. 

I completely disagree that the community response was out of proportion. This is a triple-A title, not a free to play phone game.

Is the part that I put in bold a bad joke? I would think you worked for EA, but even EA employees hate EA, so you must be some devout EA prophet or something.

I used to be quite active here.

16 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

-snip-

Just an FYI they have also reduced the amount of credits you earn by 75% so they haven't really changed anything.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

58 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

Just an FYI they have also reduced the amount of credits you earn by 75% so they haven't really changed anything.

Wow. Rip.

That negates everything.

I knew it was too good to be true.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

There's a sucker born every minute and EA preys upon those suckers. They deserves one another. There where several post on youtube prasing EA for reducing hero cost. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Go ahead and join the bandwagon of complaints who don't even suggest a WORKABLE alternative to monetisation for post launch content. 

I know English might not be your first language (this is a very global forum), but PLEASE separate your posts into paragraphs. It's really hard to understand your argument in giant text dumps like this.

I am not even going to respond to the rest of your post, since it's really just a regurgitation of what you've been shouting at people in this thread already. I've already argued my case but you don't understand the point. Though, I can respond to this!

Want a workable solution? Only cosmetic loot crates! Reward players with MONEY every round for their performance, not RNG loot boxes! In BF1 (another DICE title), there are battlepacks. Do you know what they have in them? Only skins. Only cosmetics for guns and vehicles. Everything else in the game you unlock with War Bonds, which you get by ranking up, or playing the game. I'm not even level 100 but I have more than enough war bonds to unlock any gun I want, after which I can spend them on premium skins. Same developer and they already had a workable solution to microtransactions. They could have done the exact same thing for this game.

I simply don't understand why you are defending EA to the bitter end. Are they holding you hostage? Type 123 and I'll call the police for help.

I used to be quite active here.

32 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yup with Battlefront 2 EA can be just like OW having one price and then adding content for free. How do they do it? Microtransactions DUH. Yes OW and CSGO can make good money off just cosmetics. Why? Because they aren't a franchise that replace their games every ~2 years. Tell me you won't be opposed to buying cosmetics when 1-2 years later a huge chunk of the playerbase (which might include yourself) jumps to a newer title? And you have no idea how restrictive Disney/Lucasarts are on EA with their creative freedom to make new content. Blizzard and Valve did not have to pay up front godknows how many millions for licensing of an IP they DO NOT OWN, and then later have it greatly hamper the products they can sell under the license. And the community response IS out of proportion. This is not the only AAA game out there. There are many bigger offenders out there like CoD, Shadow of War, Ubisoft titles that don't even react to feedback and yet don't get as much flak. Go ahead and join the bandwagon of complaints who don't even suggest a WORKABLE alternative to monetisation for post launch content. 

You want a suggestion for alternative?

How about the greedy fuckers be happy with the millions they already made from selling the multiple editions of the game, DLC and seasons passes instead of wanting billions from each fucking game, That would be fucking peachy.

These fucking leeches are making HUGE sums of money already, literally multiple millions per game. Suggesting they need to charge more for content they chose to make because it took them time to make is akin to suggesting my Big Mac should cost me £3 but then I should also be paying for the workers time to cook it, the box it comes in and the electricity they used to cook it on top of the £3 I already paid them.

Its too late now anyway, they've already done it, we've lost the battle and gaming is set to become nothing more than opening boxes and using cards to progress.

2017 is the year gaming died and by the end of 2018 I fully expect the vast majority of games that release to do so using loot boxes and card games as the only way to progress.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable market crash because trust me, its coming.

Also learn what the Enter key does otherwise its impossible to understand you.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

30 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Do you know what they also have in BF1? Paid premium and DLC. You are FORCED to pay to get majority of new content. Have I not explained enough times that just cosmetics in lootboxes simply isn't gonna work? I am not defending EA. I am defending their right to compensation for the (post launch) additional content to be be a worthwhile resource investment. At this rate of backlash the next BF title is going to return to the BF1 style of Premium and paid DLC. Yay! 

I'll have you know that I'm not some guy who sleeps with or work for EA. That does not mean I don't have the business sense to know that companies simply do not undertake new projects that they know will have a much lower ROI (or not break even) and that is exactly what the community is asking for with nothing but cosmetics in loot boxes. So fine by me if you want to keep griping about this issue, because EA is beyond my control and I can already smell what will happen in the forseeable future. 

I would rather buy the deluxe or stain pass or whatever they are going to call it and get everything. I don't like micro transactions. I'll pay the extra 25 bucks to get all expansions and extras. I did that with Syndicate, Ghost Recon, The Division, and BF1.

It sucks, but it beats micro transactions. I'll pay extra for sikns if I want them, but I never do.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Do you know what they also have in BF1? Paid premium and DLC. You are FORCED to pay to get majority of new content. Have I not explained enough times that just cosmetics in lootboxes simply isn't gonna work? I am not defending EA. I am defending their right to compensation for the (post launch) additional content to be be a worthwhile resource investment. At this rate of backlash the next BF title is going to return to the BF1 style of Premium and paid DLC. Yay! 

I'll have you know that I'm not some guy who sleeps with or work for EA. That does not mean I don't have the business sense to know that companies simply do not undertake new projects that they know will have a much lower ROI (or not break even) and that is exactly what the community is asking for with nothing but cosmetics in loot boxes. So fine by me if you want to keep griping about this issue, because EA is beyond my control and I can already smell what will happen in the forseeable future. 

thats a thing since battlefield 3. they had premium, shortcuts for classes and lootboxes of course since then.

8 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Updated details on the refund debacle. Thanks for correcting me guys!

@iamdarkyoshi I would suggest adding the following as well, since it basically nullifies the benefit of them slashing the credits required:

9 hours ago, benaiah said:

EA also cut the credits earned by completing the campaign by 75%, so if you don't buy loot boxes the same problem is still there.

46 minutes ago, Dark Force said:

@iamdarkyoshi I would suggest adding the following as well, since it basically nullifies the benefit of them slashing the credits required:

EA also cut the credits earned by completing the campaign by 75%, so if you don't buy loot boxes the same problem is still there.

Lol, EA will never understand...