My local microcenter has the i5 8600k for 350 USD & the i7 8700 (Non K Variant) for 420 USD 

However on amazon, the i7 8700 is 350 USD instead of 420 USD

which should i go for? 
I'll be using a gtx 1060 6gb & will be playing on 1080p 60hz/144hz

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

My local microcenter has the i5 8600k for 350 USD & the i7 8700 (Non K Variant) for 420 USD 

However on amazon, the i7 8700 is 350 USD instead of 420 USD

which should i go for? 
I'll be using a gtx 1060 6gb & will be playing on 1080p 60hz/144hz

Here's the question that'll answer your problems - do you want to overclock?

If you're overclocking, obviously get the unlocked i5 8600k. If your case and budget can handle it, you'll basically HAVE to get water cooling or a high end air cooler for any real overclock past 4.6ghz. With the Cryorig C1, I can end up getting up to low 80s at the package temperature (though with small case too). If you're constrained by size and aren't overclocking, (or intend to with your build), get the i7 8700. 

8 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

If you're overclocking, obviously get the unlocked i5 8600k. If your case and budget can handle it, you'll basically HAVE to get water cooling or a high end air cooler for any real overclock past 4.6ghz. With the Cryorig C1, I can end up getting up to low 80s at the package temperature (though with small case too). If you're constrained by size and aren't overclocking, (or intend to with your build), get the i7 8700. 

So if i wanna overclock get i5 8600k. If not, get i7 8700 right?

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

Yep.

5 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Pretty much! In regards to overclocking  Coffee Lake, many benchmarks indicate that the i5 8600k at 5ghz (IN CERTAIN APPLICATIONS/GAMES) will actually surpass an equally clocked i7 8700k. NOTE: these extreme speeds require equally "extreme" cooling. If you're going to be pushing the i5 8600k to 5ghz, you'll need something like a Corsair H115 cooler. With Prime 95, you'll max out at high 80s generally (according to numerous sources). In games, expect better temps of course.

As a general note, 80-85c is arguably your maximum safe temperature. If you're overclocking to the bleeding edge or in a small case with small cooler, these temps are expected and are not the end of the world. Not IDEAL, but nothing to worry about (as long as you're not CONSTANTLY pulling these temps. 

Ideally lower is better, but not lower than ambient as you may run into condensation forming on the hardware!

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Pretty much! In regards to overclocking  Coffee Lake, many benchmarks indicate that the i5 8600k at 5ghz (IN CERTAIN APPLICATIONS/GAMES) will actually surpass an equally clocked i7 8700k. NOTE: these extreme speeds require equally "extreme" cooling. If you're going to be pushing the i5 8600k to 5ghz, you'll need something like a Corsair H115 cooler. With Prime 95, you'll max out at high 80s generally (according to numerous sources). In games, expect better temps of course.

So if overclocked, the 8600k can even outperform the 8700? (Depending on the cooler right.)

2 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

So if overclocked, the 8600k can even outperform the 8700? (Depending on the cooler right.)

According to a number of benchmarks, that would be correct, especially for gaming. This comes down to the benefit of "real cores" vs hyper threading in various applications as well as clock speed differences. 

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

According to a number of benchmarks, that would be correct, especially for gaming. This comes down to the benefit of "real cores" vs hyper threading in various applications as well as clock speed differences. 

I see. This is great to know!

Do you suggest I get the i5 8600k at this price, wait for the i7 8700k, or get a i3 8100 or i5 8400 to save money?

I see. This is great to know!

Do you suggest I get the i5 8600k at this price, wait for the i7 8700k, or get a i3 8100 or i5 8400 to save money?

How big is your case and will it fit the big coolers? How far do you want to overclock? I take it that most of your use will be gaming?

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

How big is your case and will it fit the big coolers? How far do you want to overclock? I take it that most of your use will be gaming?

My Case is the Phanteks p400s & i have not built it yet. Sadly it cannot fit a Noctua NH-D15 or any of those big coolers according to PCPartPicker. I am not sure on how far i wanna overclock to be completely honest. & Yes you are correct. I never stream or video edit which is why im going intel over ryzen for this build

6 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

My Case is the Phanteks p400s & i have not built it yet. Sadly it cannot fit a Noctua NH-D15 or any of those big coolers according to PCPartPicker. I am not sure on how far i wanna overclock to be completely honest. & Yes you are correct. I never stream or video edit which is why im going intel over ryzen for this build

That's a nice case! I looked at it briefly. According to Pcpartpicker, you can put a AIO water cooler in it! I'd recommend going with the H115 or the Kraken X62.

Even if you don't overclock now or plan on doing it MUCH in the future, it's nice to HAVE the capabilities at your finger tips. 

While I went with a tiny case and cooler and "big hardware" and really enjoy having all of that power in a small package, temperatures are at the bleeding edge of what I am comfortable with. With Coffee Lake, you'll want to overcompensate cooling a bit and if you're overclocking and not going to de-lid, you definitely want a really high end air cooler or a strong water cooler. 

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

That's a nice case! I looked at it briefly. According to Pcpartpicker, you can put a AIO water cooler in it! I'd recommend going with the H115 or the Kraken X62.

While I went with a tiny case and cooler and "big hardware" and really enjoy having all of that power in a small package, temperatures are at the bleeding edge of what I am comfortable with. With Coffee Lake, you'll want to overcompensate cooling a bit and if you're overclocking and not going to de-lid, you definitely want a really high end air cooler or a strong water cooler. 

Water cooling looks really cool to try out but im actually scared to because of leaks and what not. My friend told me some liquids like the Kraken X62 use non conductive liquids so even if it leaks, the liquid will not destroy my components. Is this true? 

I would go with the 8600k, for overclocking. Make sure to get a decent cooling solution. I would reccomend an EVGA CLC 280, or if you want to save some money, a Coolermaster MasterLiquid 240

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

3 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Water cooling looks really cool to try out but im actually scared to because of leaks and what not. My friend told me some liquids like the Kraken X62 use non conductive liquids so even if it leaks, the liquid will not destroy my components. Is this true? 

Ive had water coolers for years now and NEVER sprung a leak (and I had  twisted and contorted those coolers a fair amount).

In regards to them ACTUALLY failing and leaking on your hardware, I'm not sure exactly what would happen if the liquid isn't conductive. If it is conductive, it's essentially like pouring water onto your running PC. NOT good. However, people have been using AIOs for years and the failure rate is extremely low. 

I can link you to some more info in about an hour or so!

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

If you are worried about leaking, I would get the Corsair h110i. Corsair's warranty covers any damage to your system caused by the CLC. I will say though, I have had more CLC pumps go out then I have ever had leaks. They are sealed, so leaking is rare. 

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

5 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

If you are worried about leaking, I would get the Corsair h110i. Corsair's warranty covers any damage to your system caused by the CLC. I will say though, I have had more CLC pumps go out then I have ever had leaks. They are sealed, so leaking is rare. 

Now this is a weird question but can you add RGB Fans to corsair AIO's? I saw in a bitwit video about the new corsair RGB fans that you can add them to the AIO

Now this is a weird question but can you add RGB Fans to corsair AIO's? I saw in a bitwit video about the new corsair RGB fans that you can add them to the AIO

Yes , you can. You can add just about any fan to any aio, assuming it is the right size. (120mm fans for 120,240, and 360mm radiators and 140mm for 140 and 280mm radiators.

6 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Ive had water coolers for years now and NEVER sprung a leak (and I had  twisted and contorted those coolers a fair amount).

In regards to them ACTUALLY failing and leaking on your hardware, I'm not sure exactly what would happen if the liquid isn't conductive. If it is conductive, it's essentially like pouring water onto your running PC. NOT good. However, people have been using AIOs for years and the failure rate is extremely low. 

I can link you to some more info in about an hour or so!

Please do it would help SO MUCH. 

Do you have a discord or steam so that we can discuss?

Just to add a different opinion - the 8700 is a much better buy than the 8600k IMO because of the extra threads. You might not use them now but if you plan on keeping your cpu for a long time they might come in handy. If you look at the situation now - people who bought i7s 5 years ago are much better off than people who bought i5s(even if those i5s are oc'ed).

1 hour ago, UltimaHeart said:

Absolutely!

This is sort of like a few years ago when everyone was buying i5s over i7s, saying that the extra threads didn't matter. They didn't matter then, but they do now. The 8700 is a better processor than the 8600K. That's why it normally sells for more. The 8700 will give you 4.6 GHz all core on the right motherboard. 5.0 GHz is less than 10% faster. Less than 10% clock speed for half the threads? Sounds like a bad deal.

Edit: overclocking is fun, though, and the 8600K will be just as good or better sometimes for the next few years

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

4 hours ago, PhaseShift said:

Just to add a different opinion - the 8700 is a much better buy than the 8600k IMO because of the extra threads. You might not use them now but if you plan on keeping your cpu for a long time they might come in handy. If you look at the situation now - people who bought i7s 5 years ago are much better off than people who bought i5s(even if those i5s are oc'ed).

Will coffee lake i7 bottleneck with 1060 6gb?

3 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Absolutely!

Does it have to be exclusive to the brand (Like for example only Corsair RGB fans can work with Corsair AIO's or NZXT fans with NZXT Kraken only) Or can it be like I can put an NZXT RGB fan with the corsair AIO

i would buy the 8700 without a doubt.

the 8700 has turbo boost up to 4.6Ghz naturally and extra 6 threads for your multitasking needs.

people seem to hog on k versions of chips too often. while making you spend extra $ on nonsense cooling. 

thats how corsair etc makes their money