Are these temps normal for a Noctua NH-D14?

Ieviathan

Got a GTX 1080 Ti Strix, 16gb ram and a 4790k only turbo boosted in a Phanteks P400S case (not tempered glass) and I get between 80-90 degrees in CoD WW 2 and other games on the CPU.. is this normal?

i think you have to get some good fans for intake and exhaust for your case because probably the airflow is poor, or maybe you have to change to a better thermal paste (or both, but probably you have to clean fans and change your thermal paste)

Edited by Blackhole890

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

What is the ambient temperature?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, Ieviathan said:

Got a GTX 1080 Ti Strix, 16gb ram and a 4790k only turbo boosted in a Phanteks P400S case (not tempered glass) and I get between 80-90 degrees in CoD WW 2 on the CPU.. is this normal?

Normal for that case maybe. The P400 is not designed with high end hardware in mind (even last gen) 

Hot components like the 1080ti or the 4790k/6700k/7700k/8700k will suffer from a lack of good airflow. Try taking off your front panel, put a few case fans front mounted, and see if that helps improve thermals

By comparison, my 4790k stays under 70ºc under gaming load with an H90i, a water cooler that would be considered weaker than the NH-D14

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Try flipping your fans around to pull from your exhaust if that drops your temps by 5C or more that means you an airflow issue. If your temps are still high try putting on new thermal compound. I'm willing to bet that either a dust issue or a thermal compound issue judging by the fact that your GPU is staying cooler than your non-OC'ed CPU with that big cooler on it

Edited by firecrafter711
more info

19 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Normal for that case maybe. The P400 is not designed with high end hardware in mind (even last gen) 

Hot components like the 1080ti or the 4790k/6700k/7700k/8700k will suffer from a lack of good airflow. Try taking off your front panel, put a few case fans front mounted, and see if that helps improve thermals

By comparison, my 4790k stays under 70ºc under gaming load with an H90i, a water cooler that would be considered weaker than the NH-D14

Can you please recommend me a case with good airflow?

17 minutes ago, Ieviathan said:

Can you please recommend me a case with good airflow?

For around the same price as the P400, I'd get something like the Define C TG, or even Meshify C for best theoretical airflow. (cases under $100) Both will fit your long GPU and tall air cooler :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Not normal. Though, its DC CPU so there might be issue with voltages. Try to set manual voltages if you haven't already.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That's some high temps you got there.

to be certain of what is the issue, try these things before you go running off to buy stuff.

take off case side panel to see if its a airflow issue.

check if your cooler is mounted properly with enough thermal paste.

did you overclock your chip? If yes, try turning it back to default to see if its because you are runnig too high of a voltage.

lastly, highly unlikely, what software are you using to check your temps? Might just be misreading things.

That is not normal.  I get better temperatures running a 4770k @ 1.25 V on a D-14.  As other's have recommended, check your air flow, check to make sure your heatsink is seated properly, make sure your motherboard is following the stock Intel voltage and make sure your thermal compound was applied correctly.

That's not normal. Have you tried reseating your cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Trie

On 11/8/2017 at 8:45 AM, Ieviathan said:

Got a GTX 1080 Ti Strix, 16gb ram and a 4790k only turbo boosted in a Phanteks P400S case (not tempered glass) and I get between 80-90 degrees in CoD WW 2 and other games on the CPU.. is this normal?

With that CPU, that game, and that cooler, those temperatures are not normal (stay below 85c). Try reseating cooler. If that doesn't help, try adding additional fans to improve the push pull configuration for the case. Make sure that all of the fans are WORKING on the CPU cooler and the case itself. What are your voltages?