Scrapyard Wars 6 Pt. 4 FINALE - $1337 Gaming PC Challenge

14 minutes ago, Mandrewoid said:

28:36 "Heading into the final day Luke & Jay aren't feeling too confident while L-But this is scrapyard wars and it ain't over till it's over"

41:39 Little bit of toilet humour with some "PU Benchmarks" 

9 hours ago, Swe_Madness said:

sli wasn’t working, in ashes before linus put his hands on the specs you can see that GPU 1 was 980ti but GPU2 was not available 48:56

Was this something totally unnoticed by anyone? This would have completely turned everything around.

1 hour ago, GalacticRuler said:

Was this something totally unnoticed by anyone? This would have completely turned everything around.

Apparently, SLI doesn't work at all in ashes with dx11.

Also, I think team Dmitrus got seriously CPU bottlenecked. The w3670 has only 80% of the single-core performance of an r2 1200. It shouldn't be paired with anything above a 1050 ti, maybe a 1060.

I am throwing this out there, Bryan from Tech YES city for next scrapyard wars! and steve from hardware Unboxed

@nicklmg@LinusTech@Slick You’re missing out a lot by not including the discussion of results, which I’m sure you do anyways after the filming, in your SYW videos. Like, why did the sli system underperform in some of the tests etc. The whole drama of running around for parts creates such a build-up which you fail to capitalize on and leave watchers midair with a rushed ending. I hope you’ll notice similar upvoted comments in youtube. 

1 hour ago, Nikit said:

@nicklmg@LinusTech@Slick You’re missing out a lot by not including the discussion of results, which I’m sure you do anyways after the filming, in your SYW videos. Like, why did the sli system underperform in some of the tests etc. The whole drama of running around for parts creates such a build-up which you fail to capitalize on and leave watchers midair with a rushed ending. I hope you’ll notice similar upvoted comments in youtube. 

I wonder if there is another episode coming with the discussions, fallout and maybe even a hybrid of both systems. 

@nickImg

I'd like to see a video where it compares new hardware like this https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PssgkT

against the scrapyard wars build from this season. See what the performance difference is, as the new hardware is just over $100 more expensive, but should last a lot longer than scrapyard builds. If I had the hardware I'd do it myself, but alas I do not. I'd be very interested to see the difference buying older hardware makes.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 05/11/2017 at 12:08 PM, Sacredsock said:

I wonder if there is another episode coming with the discussions, fallout and maybe even a hybrid of both systems. 

it was a fun season to watch BUT

1. link on part 4 of yt to the forums is linked to part 3 instead of this part :P

2. a lot of ppl including me are missing the discisions about the systems.

like here is pc 1, here is pc 2, run benchmarks. (linus: "guys we have to go home now because i cant pay you for working overtime") OK you won, you lost BYE!

ehm?

3. part 5 plz!!!!

;)

Overall, it was an entertaining season, but episode 4's quality feels unpolished. First, as mentioned already, the audio quality is very inconsistent. Then there's lack of breakdown of both team's system.  The text appears and disappears too quickly.  No thoughts from the team on why they chose the parts they had? No final budget breakdown? How much did both teams spend? Who spent less money? No reaction to other team's system? Overall, it felt incomplete.

I think this season does not paint Luke in a favourable light. Don't know if it's the editing but at times it makes him look like an hypocritical asshole. In the previous episode he got pretty salty about Linus being late when they also had time management issues. Then in this episode he talked about other team buying something brand new while he's holding a brand new SSD he got from amazon. lol

Suggestion for future seasons:

- Linus, Luke, or guest players cannot communicate directly to potential sellers anymore.  They are getting recognized thus getting deals or more leniency that normal joes won't get. (like the guy who didn't want the $4 at the skytrain station). Assign a designated person (camera guy/gal or someone else) that will handle all the talking and making the transactions in person while Linus and Luke can direct them on what to do.

- here's an idea. Both teams start with an identical crappy system (like shitty prebuilt ones) and their goal is to improve the system with the least amount of money spent. Start with a benchmark on the base system and compare it with a final benchmark after the upgrade.  They'll have unlimited budget BUT final score is based on benchmark improvement over money spent. 

- add purchasable perks to the game.  Teams can spend money on things such as extra time or ability to call someone to give them a ride. They can only be used once. This will add additional strategic element and drama. Also have harsher penalties for breaking rules.

- compass cards exist, Linus.

that feeling when luke and jay essential build your daily driver for a fraction of the price. oh well

First time watching scrapyard wars. Really loved it. Honestly if it was all in one super long video I would watch that in a heartbeat. But I think I am in the minority when it comes to willingness to watch really long youtube videos. But I don't watch TV so for me youtube is no different then sitting and watching TV.