Console and PC Price to Performance Examination

TurbulentWinds

I would say that both options can be as cheap as you want it to be. or as expensive as you want it to be.

I bought my ps1 with 8 games and 2 controllers for $20 (used) in 2006 and i have had a great time playing spyro, grand turismo and the other games. And i didnt have to pay $60 a year for multiplayer, it was free (only 2 player tho).

My computer that i first bought in 2007, cost me about $1000, and since then i have upgraded it for atleast another $1500, and my steam library of 250 games has also cost me a lot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

The thread has not been updated since i came here. :) 

The PC with all those spec in UK cost 602 pounds + 40 blu-ray + 30 wifi card + 40 controller, sums up to 712 pounds for a system that doesnt even do 60 fps on medium settings in gta 5. 

Thermal compound 5 pounds, and better cooling if we want to OC ryzen is another 20 pounds, i dont even want to include a gaming computer desk into it. 

Ps4 pro is 300 pounds right now with a AAA game, and you could buy ps plus subscribtion for 37 pounds, for a 5 years usage it is 485 pounds total - 40 pounds of AAA game, including into it cheap 100 pound laptop, 545 for a 5 year of hardware usage. 

Still cheaper than PC that will go to the trash can after few years with that CPU and GPU. 

16 hours ago, Nedkely said:

I've given up fighting the bullshit.

The PC with all those spec in UK

Yes, in the UK not the US. Problem solved.

40 blu-ray + 30 wifi card + 40 controller

None of this is even needed or can be had for much much less.

for a system that doesnt even do 60 fps on medium settings in gta 5. 

It does but if you need to do better get a 1060 3GB. +$40 for +50% performance. Still within appceptable pricing when counting online.

Thermal compound 5 pounds

Preapplied.

and better cooling if we want to OC ryzen is another 20 pounds

We don't. Doesn't increase performance enough to make it worth the price.

i dont even want to include a gaming computer desk into it. 

I think you should. +$20 for a card table and chair.

Ps4 pro is 300 pounds right now with a AAA game, and you could buy ps plus subscribtion for 37 pounds, for a 5 years usage it is 485 pounds total - 40 pounds of AAA game, including into it cheap 100 pound laptop, 545 for a 5 year of hardware usage. 

Uh ok. Pricing varies. I used the numbers I found.

Still cheaper than PC that will go to the trash can after few years with that CPU and GPU. 

Jesus. Some people have mental issues. I have a i5-3470 and a 750 Ti both from 2012 and play games on them all the time. I'm not even considering a CPU upgrade while the GPU might need a boost in a year or two. CPUs are not a big deal in gaming, just do a bit of fucking research. A mid range CPU will do fine for a long time into the future. 

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Am I late to the party? Here are my criticisms to the opening post

• There's no real metric for comparing any actual price/performance ratio.
  • Using current PC hardware pricing against console launch pricing. This shifts the favor of cost to the PC. You should be using current console pricing without sales which at the moment is $250 for the XB1S (I think, otherwise it's $300), $300 for the PS4, $400 for the PS4 Pro, and $500 for the XB1X
  • Not including a Blu-Ray drive for the PC. I don't care if you don't think people watch movies on their PC. If you're going to do anything resembling a fair comparison, you must match the feature set as much as possible. This also comes with the caveat you need Blu-Ray playback software, which may add to the cost.
  • Using the used market. In any comparison like this you cannot use the used market. Why? Because used market prices are not guaranteed. Besides, I can use this  against PCs by this scenario:
    Friend (who just got the latest and greatest console): Hey, I just bought this thing, you want my old one (for free up to some low price)?
    Me: Sure!

So if I end up getting all my consoles for free, the console side has infinitely better value to me than the PC side. Of course, you could say the same about the PC side. But the point is there's no firm ground to hold a formal argument.

• The assumptions:
    • "Most people want to play online." This isn't good for a formal argument. You need to provide proof that a majority of people are playing online for a significant amount of time with their systems regardless of platform.
      • PS+ is not required for online play for games that are F2P or already have a subscription to play online. Examples of this include World of Tanks and Final Fantasy XIV.
    • While I'll accept that a lot of people retain their PCs for 5 years, I find it hard to believe that anyone has retained their PC for gaming use for 10 years. Also, historically, unless you upgrade the platform (being motherboard + CPU + RAM) entirely, the video card will hit a bottleneck significantly before the 10 year mark.
    • While people are likely to have a PC to perform daily activities, mobile (i.e., tablets and phones) have likely overtaken what people use now and days
      Sources:
      http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usage-desktop-vs-mobile/
      https://marketingland.com/digital-growth-now-coming-mobile-usage-comscore-171505
      https://www.hallaminternet.com/google-analytics-desktop-vs-mobile-vs-tablet-metrics/

So this lessens the impact that a PC is strictly necessary these days for many people. And no, you can't even use the argument "but what if you want to type something up?" or whatever other office or school-like tasks are because you can get a BT keyboard and Microsoft Word is available on Android and iOS.

Ultimately I find these posts just PC gamer wank because there's always something that skews the argument in the PC's favor and ignore different people's needs or wants for gaming.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Am I late to the party?

Too late for me to not BS every reply I do. After all of the completely dumb posts I get, I just don't have the energy to devote time to good replies to good comments like yours.

There's no real metric for comparing any actual price/performance ratio.

I understand completely. I wasn't sure the correct phrasing to use for the OP, but this is not really about PTP, more so equalish performance for price.

Using current PC hardware pricing against console launch pricing.

If I went back, the PC would be cheaper. The ram pricing is fucking horrible right now. It wouldn't change much. You can go and do it if you want to but I don't feel like haggling over a few dollars.

$500 for the XB1X

Not out when I did this, if it was, I personally would have been hell ya for the console side of things. The XB1X is damn near impossible to beat for the price.

Not including a Blu-Ray drive for the PC. I don't care if you don't think people watch movies on their PC. If you're going to do anything resembling a fair comparison, you must match the feature set as much as possible. This also comes with the caveat you need Blu-Ray playback software, which may add to the cost.

You are right. I didn't sit down and spend 8 hours working on this, I spent more like 5 minutes. Can't get everything done.

Using the used market. In any comparison like this you cannot use the used market. Why? Because used market prices are not guaranteed.

I mentioned it briefly as a viable option. That was not the main focus.

"Most people want to play online." This isn't good for a formal argument. You need to provide proof that a majority of people are playing online for a significant amount of time with their systems regardless of platform.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-72-percent-of-us-gamers-play-online/1100-6407855/

There's more like this. Before you ask, I am not gonna go get another one. The thread here is dead.

PS+ is not required for online play for games that are F2P or already have a subscription to play online. Examples of this include World of Tanks and Final Fantasy XIV.

I did not know this. Thank you for bringing this up. I will not be changing the OP because it's way too much work. Honestly, after having to deal with at least 70 bullshit posts I am done. I hope a mod locks this crap down.

While I'll accept that a lot of people retain their PCs for 5 years, I find it hard to believe that anyone has retained their PC for gaming use for 10 years.

Ok. Just something I threw out there in the OP.

While people are likely to have a PC to perform daily activities, mobile (i.e., tablets and phones) have likely overtaken what people use now and days
Sources:
http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usage-desktop-vs-mobile/
https://marketingland.com/digital-growth-now-coming-mobile-usage-comscore-171505
https://www.hallaminternet.com/google-analytics-desktop-vs-mobile-vs-tablet-metrics/

So this lessens the impact that a PC is strictly necessary these days for many people. And no, you can't even use the argument "but what if you want to type something up?" or whatever other office or school-like tasks are because you can get a BT keyboard and Microsoft Word is available on Android and iOS.

No. I have not met one single person who does not use a laptop even when they have an iPad or a tablet of some sort. It is wasteful. It is pointless. But no one I know uses a tablet instead of a laptop for work or school. I checked out the links and the mobile market is taking over, but this is just my personal experience at school and work. Chromebook are the thing right now. Everyone and their mother has a cheap ass Chromebook.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Ultimately I find these posts just PC gamer wank because there's always something that skews the argument in the PC's favor and ignore different people's needs or wants for gaming.

Ok. I don't prefer one over another. Right now, I am telling my friends who are looking into getting a PC for Xmas to get the XB1X instead. A console for $150, hell yes, buy that crap. At the end of the day you buy what you like. I just made this shitty post to give an example to some people at my school who believe that PC gaming has to cost $1000s to equal a console. If there is one thing I have learn from this, is that graphs are the trick. Just look at my posts about Macs. Throw enough graphs at people and they stop looking for weaknesses and pay attention to the general message. 

Thank you for your post. I'm pretty sure I violated the CoC with my attitude in this one, just know that I value your input. It's just some other people that have worn me down into a jackass on this thread.

To the next person, if you want something fixed, don't bother asking, just get a mod to lock this thread. You'll make my day.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Nedkely said:

The PC with all those spec in UK cost 602 pounds + 40 blu-ray + 30 wifi card + 40 controller, sums up to 712 pounds for a system that doesnt even do 60 fps on medium settings in gta 5. 

Thermal compound 5 pounds, and better cooling if we want to OC ryzen is another 20 pounds, i dont even want to include a gaming computer desk into it. 

You can build a fully new PC for under 300 that would out perform the PS4 pro and for 500 you can build something better then the Xbox 1 X 

I hate these threads.

Simple Thought

Console makers can launch lower costs, making it up in software accessories, something PC hardware companies can't match.

So... the initial delivery of hardware,. the financial ecosystem is different for both platforms, how can they be compared on a price to performance ratio when console prices are not what they should be realistically due to said ecosystem.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

Ryzen 3 1200 - 100 AUD

8gb of ram - 100 AUD

B350 mother board - 60 AUD

Rx 560 - 160 AUD

1 TB HDD - 50 AUD

Total 470 AUD 350 USD

• No links to verify prices
  • RX 560 is worse than the RX 480 the PS4 Pro kind of sort of has
  • No Blu-Ray drive
  • No OS
  • No peripherals (PS4 comes with a controller)

Good try though.

You would need R9 Fury and upwards to compete with XBOX Scorpio.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

22 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:
  • No links to verify prices
  • RX 560 is worse than the RX 480 the PS4 Pro kind of sort of has
  • No Blu-Ray drive
  • No OS
  • No peripherals (PS4 comes with a controller)

Good try though.

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Gtx+1050+ti&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

The GTX 1050ti is 200 and about the same performance as the PS4 pro depending what game a step up is the GTX 1060 for 300 that out perform the PS4 pro. No one on PC uses a blue ray drive but one of those is only $10. Windows keys can be found for as little as $10 from sites like king win  and you can get it for free if you are willing to pirate it. Key boards and mice comboes can be found for like $5. I would linke prices but I don't have that much time as there easy to find.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:37 AM, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

You need to not be stupid to post on this thread. Do some research don't just spread false information. 

Do some research don't just spread false information. 

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.