Console and PC Price to Performance Examination

TurbulentWinds

Please correct any mistakes I may have made in the following.

Depending on how you look at it, consoles can be better for your money than PCs. I have been looking to try to find a guide that shows if a console or a PC is better based on a certain set of conditions. I was unable to find a complete guide of this and have opted to make my own.

Our PC for comparison will have the spec listed below.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($109.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($154.89 @ B&H)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers: $40
Total: $616.19

First, we should compare raw hardware cost based on launch prices.

PlayStation 4 - $400

Xbox 1 - $350

PC - $620

Basically, if all other factors are ignored, buying a console will be better for your money. This is because of the one time markup on the system as a whole unlike the larger markups of individual manufacturers of PC components. However, most people are going to want to play online, which requires at $60 membership for 1 year on console.

PlayStation 4 - $460

Xbox 1 - $410

PC - $635

The Xbox still retains a competitive edge over the PC in terms of pricing. The PlayStation is less relevant at this juncture. The keen among you might have noticed that only a 1 year online membership was purchased for a device that will last for several. For the sake of simplicity, the console life cycle will be assumed as 5 years.

PlayStation 4 -$700

Xbox 1 - $650

PC - $620

The PC is now the clear victor in price to performance. But there are yet more factors to take into account. A PC is a necessary for most people in this day and age and those who have a console still need a computer.

PlayStation 4 -$900

Xbox 1 - $850

PC - $620

PCs can be upgraded increasing their lifespan. We will assume a 10 year life cycle with a 5 year upgrade to match current gen consoles. Console prices will be doubled as a new unit is required.

PlayStation 4 -$1800

Xbox 1 - $1700

PC - $820

PCs can be made from used parts and consoles may also be purchased used cutting hardware costs in about half.

PlayStation 4 -$1600

Xbox 1 - $1525

PC - $410

I could continue on and on about this for hours, but the conclusion is clear at this point. In terms of pure price to performance, the PC is a better platform except for very rare and specific cases.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Also consider that virtually all console games are $60, and on PC they are much cheaper.

I would not be able to objectively measure the difference that would make, therefore I did not include it.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Also consider that virtually all console games are $60, and on PC they are much cheaper.

7 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I would not be able to objectively measure the difference that would make, therefore I did not include it.

They made these comparrisons, and only in the long run PC turns out cheaper. However, a PC can do much more than a console.

The neccessity of a PC is actually a rather interessting part to discuss. I have several costumers that want access to "computers" without actually haviong a computer or laptop. (Yes, mostly 50+ years of age). For them, a tablet is a great alternative, as it does all these pc thingies, can do skype, and usually costs just half the price of a recommendable laptop.

(Edit: They also rarely have a - or rather use their - smartphone either.)

Edit 2: I'd also argue with the upgrade path on PC. With current console lifecycles, the need for ever upgrading your PC is close to zero. And when a new gen of consoles comes along, the "upgrade path" is to old as well.

So while this sounds like a drawback, I rather enjoyed playing all the games from 2010 till 2017 on high grafics without really changing anything in my pc except the GPU when it died. (so 2013-'17 on GPU)

This, however, probably does not hold true when you go with entry level or the cheapest pc build you can get ^^

Just now, staubgame said:

They made these comparrisons, and only in the long run PC turns out cheaper. However, a PC can do much more than a console.

The neccessity of a PC is actually a rather interessting part to discuss. I have several costumers that want access to "computers" without actually haviong a computer or laptop. (Yes, mostly 50+ years of age). For them, a tablet is a great alternative, as it does all these pc thingies, can do skype, and usually costs just half the price of a recommendable laptop.

For 90% of people, all they really need is a cheap tablet or laptop. I tried to give some points to the console department there by using the price of a cheap Chromebook ($200).

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Just now, TurbulentWinds said:

For 90% of people, all they really need is a cheap tablet or laptop. I tried to give some points to the console department there by using the price of a cheap Chromebook ($200).

Another thing you'd have to take into account: Everyone and their mothers has a TV, while no one wants to use a PC on a TV.

So buying a PC also includes peripherals.

Taking these into account, I for me can actually see why people would go console over PC when looking at pure gaming. 

4 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I feel like I have to mention, I do agree with you. 

Even though I argue. A friend of mine actually did this to me. ;)

11e62c00359416b4d600250e6dd6d1daaa6bfd54

Or you can get an i7 860/decent P55 mobo and 8gb ddr3 for $100 + an R9 290x for $180, good PSU for $80 and a cheapo case.

Mobo/CPU/RAM $100

GPU $180

PSU $80

Case $40

total $400

For $400 you can get a PC that beats everything here by a mile 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Another thing you'd have to take into account: Everyone and their mothers has a TV, while no one wants to use a PC on a TV.

So buying a PC also includes peripherals.

Taking these into account, I for me can actually see why people would go console over PC when looking at pure gaming. 

I would include the TV as part of the console cost (at maybe 30% of its price, which is the average amount of time I see my console friends playing vs watching TV), if a monitor was required for the PC. Given that the average TV is more expensive than the average monitor, I would say its not really significant.

In reference to buying peripherals, I gamed happily off of a mouse, keyboard and speakers new for $20 for about 5 years. Most people are going to buy an extra controller or two for friends with consoles, so I don't think it affects the price too much.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Or you can get an i7 860/decent P55 mobo and 8gb ddr3 for $100 + an R9 290x for $180, good PSU for $80 and a cheapo case.

Mobo/CPU/RAM $100

GPU $180

PSU $80

Case $40

total $400

We are talking new hardware as the console is "new" based of the console industries hardware standards. However, a system like that brings down the price much further when buying a used console vs a used/old pc.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

3 hours ago, TurbulentWinds said:

We are talking new hardware as the console is "new" based of the console industries hardware standards. However, a system like that brings down the price much further when buying a used console vs a used/old pc.

True, but the console now needs to compete with 1060/580 levels of performance, ie scorpio is the only competition

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

10 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Mobo/CPU/RAM $100

GPU $180

PSU $80

Case $40

total $400

Yeah when taking used parts into account, consoles are out the window in no time. :)

5 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I would include the TV as part of the console cost (at maybe 30% of its price, which is the average amount of time I see my console friends playing vs watching TV), if a monitor was required for the PC. Given that the average TV is more expensive than the average monitor, I would say its not really significant.

In reference to buying peripherals, I gamed happily off of a mouse, keyboard and speakers new for $20 for about 5 years. Most people are going to buy an extra controller or two for friends with consoles, so I don't think it affects the price too much.

Ahh gaming on the "cheap", I still have my old mouse and keyboard on my shelf, ready whenever I need an extra pair or replacement.

Still, everyone already has a tv. So while yeah, partially you could include the price,  most people really wouldn't.

And in the few cases I was asked, I can say people don't. A TV is a standart household item while a monitor is not.

That is, together with the space needed to set up a PC, the main reason that laptops are such a huge success at the moment.

4 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Yeah when taking used parts into account, consoles are out the window in no time. :)

Ahh gaming on the "cheap", I still have my old mouse and keyboard on my shelf, ready whenever I need an extra pair or replacement.

Still, everyone already has a tv. So while yeah, partially you could include the price,  most people really wouldn't.

And in the few cases I was asked, I can say people don't. A TV is a standart household item while a monitor is not.

That is, together with the space needed to set up a PC, the main reason that laptops are such a huge success at the moment.

I agree with this. The monitor ($100 for 1080p) really wouldn't affect the overall conclusion but one of the points I am trying to make is that console gaming seems a lot cheaper on the surface which is why a lot of people go for it.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

4 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I agree with this. The monitor ($100 for 1080p) really wouldn't affect the overall conclusion but one of the points I am trying to make is that console gaming seems a lot cheaper on the surface which is why a lot of people go for it.

It's also a "work thing" I assume. When you work in an office all day and come home, you maybe not want to sit in front of another computer anymore.

My mom always said I'd get "square shaped eyes" looking at my pc all day while she pretty much always has the tv running. (Not watching though. Something I don't understand to this day^^)

44 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

A PC is a necessary for most people in this day and age and those who have a console still need a computer.

36 minutes ago, staubgame said:

This is an interesting point given that MS can basically flip a switch and have MS Office running on all of their Xbox systems. It already has Skype, file explorer, web browser (albeit not a great UI), and some of the Windows apps, plus support for keyboards/mice. If they did push Office and kb/m (with proper marketing), could it reduce the need of a PC for most people?

A $300 system that runs Office, Skype, internet, and can also run games at a consistent performance level is pretty competitive (leaving out multiplayer since it's not really needed). Maybe add in a keyboard and mouse, but those can be found cheap if needed. 

I'd say mostly for younger audience though (students), they really need to simplify the UI and different marketing to appeal to more people than that. 

2 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

This is an interesting point given that MS can basically flip a switch and have MS Office running on all of their Xbox systems. It already has Skype, file explorer, web browser (albeit not a great UI), and some of the Windows apps, plus support for keyboards/mice. If they did push Office and kb/m (with proper marketing), could it reduce the need of a PC for most people?

A $300 system that runs Office, Skype, internet, and can also run games at a consistent performance level is pretty competitive (leaving out multiplayer since it's not really needed). Maybe add in a keyboard and mouse, but those can be found cheap if needed. 

I'd say mostly for younger audience though (students), they really need to simplify the UI and different marketing to appeal to more people than that. 

Given that consoles are not really anything else than a gaming laotop inside their case, yeah.
I think MS made great steps in that direction with the Xbox One. They even advertised it as a multimedia device rather than a gaming console.

Maybe just a bit too eager for the market.

But, a XBox or Playstation would no doubt be powerful enough to even run all that, and to go fully insane for a second, even connect eveything inside a smart home at the same time. (That is future music though^^).

And totally unrelated but in regards to earlier, I do like the looks of the PS4 over pretty much any PC case available. The size / space requirement might also be a factor.

1 hour ago, TurbulentWinds said:

Please correct any mistakes I may have made in the following.

Depending on how you look at it, consoles can be better for your money than PCs. I have been looking to try to find a guide that shows if a console or a PC is better based on a certain set of conditions. I was unable to find a complete guide of this and have opted to make my own.

Our PC for comparison will have the spec listed below.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($107.77 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.89 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($142.29 @ Amazon)

Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.49 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $475.31

First, we should compare raw hardware cost based on launch prices.

PlayStation 4 - $400

Xbox 1 - $350

PC - $475

Basically, if all other factors are ignored, buying a console will be better for your money. This is because of the one time markup on the system as a whole unlike the larger markups of individual manufacturers of PC components. However, most people are going to want to play online, which requires at $60 membership for 1 year on console.

PlayStation 4 - $460

Xbox 1 - $410

PC - $475

The Xbox still retains a competitive edge over the PC in terms of pricing. The PlayStation is less relevant at this juncture. The keen among you might have noticed that only a 1 year online membership was purchased for a device that will last for several. For the sake of simplicity, the console life cycle will be assumed as 5 years.

PlayStation 4 -$700

Xbox 1 - $650

PC - $475

The PC is now the clear victor in price to performance. But there are yet more factors to take into account. A PC is a necessary for most people in this day and age and those who have a console still need a computer.

PlayStation 4 -$900

Xbox 1 - $850

PC - $475

PCs can be upgraded increasing their lifespan. We will assume a 10 year life cycle with a 5 year upgrade to match current gen consoles. Console prices will be doubled as a new unit is required.

PlayStation 4 -$1800

Xbox 1 - $1700

PC - $800

PCs can be made from used parts and consoles may also be purchased used cutting hardware costs in about half.

PlayStation 4 -$1600

Xbox 1 - $1525

PC - $400

I could continue on and on about this for hours, but the conclusion is clear at this point. In terms of pure price to performance, the PC is a better platform except for very rare and specific cases.

actually, something I say to console players is, "Most people today have a computer that doesn't freeze or run slow and to get something like that you still need to some pretty good money." So let's say the person spends like 600 or something like that on a computer for daily needs, you can also game on it. PC is better -\_("/)_/-, don't argue it console peasants (not saying you are). 

Retrowave

Air cooled version of my first PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

SSD 2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

HDD: WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fans: Corsair LL120

Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro

Set Up

• Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Gaming Mousepad
  • Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR
  • Audio
    • AMP: Sennheiser GSX1000
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 58X
    • Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III
  • Oculus Rift + Touch 3 Sensor Roomscale Setup

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

In addition to Steam Sales and kinguin/sites to get games. THere is no way pc is more expensive unless you look at base price without anything else.

Retrowave

Air cooled version of my first PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

SSD 2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

HDD: WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fans: Corsair LL120

Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro

Set Up

• Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Gaming Mousepad
  • Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR
  • Audio
    • AMP: Sennheiser GSX1000
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 58X
    • Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III
  • Oculus Rift + Touch 3 Sensor Roomscale Setup

New PC games are usually $40-60, same as console. I've never seen an AAA multi-platform at a lower price on PC. It's always $60 ($70-80 here) at launch and then the price often drops (on all platforms) after first DLC/update is out. 

Older and indie stuff is more heavily discounted on PC though. On consoles, you get around 50% off (at least on Xbox) if you wait 3-6 months after release. PC will usually be even lower than that. 

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

No they're not. The price I paid for new copies of every game I own on PS4 (I never buy used for current gen):

Persona 5: $60

Horizon Zero Dawn: $50

Yakuza 0: $42

Nioh: $36

NieR Automata: $35

The Last Guardian: $26

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: $20

Bloodborne: $18

Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection: $18

The Last of Us: $10

Ratchet & Clank: $10

inFAMOUS Second Son: $8

God of War III: $6

Flower: $6

Journey: $5

Unravel: $5

The Unfinished Swan: $3

fLOw: $2

Uncharted 4: $0 (came with the system)

They're all either physical copies or bought from the Playstation Store, so no cheating with grey market sellers.

This is a stupid test it proves nothing and is impossible to do because there's too many variables like do you factor in Xbox Live and psn, can you use used parts for the pc what about the console. Plus if you want to measure price to performance then you could get a PC twice as expensive as a console that's 3x the performance. In the end it's the same story every time a console will out perform an equivalent PC for the money for the first year then it becomes somewhat even especially in the long term.

I'm currently at 2025.05 euros for everything Xbox One related, including a preorder for the One X and 100 (122) games (excluding backwards compatible titles). My current PC setup has cost a total of 2845.84 euros, not including any previous parts or a single game.

It's easy to make lists to prove whatever standpoint you want, real life is a whole another matter. The bottom line with the whole cost debate is that you run out of things to get for your console much, much sooner than you run out of better things to get for your PC. That doesn't tell anything about which one is inferior or superior. In the end it's all about games, and arguing about those is much like arguing about where and how to get your fast food.

Grow up and just play the damn games.

12 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

This is a stupid test it proves nothing and is impossible to do because there's too many variables like do you factor in Xbox Live and psn, can you use used parts for the pc what about the console. Plus if you want to measure price to performance then you could get a PC twice as expensive as a console that's 3x the performance. In the end it's the same story every time a console will out perform an equivalent PC for the money for the first year then it becomes somewhat even especially in the long term.

There was no test. You seem not to have read what I wrote. There are many variables but you only listed ones that I did cover. It is up to the person what they count in the cost. Personally, multiplayer is not a big deal to me and I would not pay for online play. If I were a primary gamer, secondary programmer, the console would be a better option, however, I am a programmer first and a gamer second so the PC is my preferred platform. This is in terms of the lowest cost PC that performs the same as the said console. High end PCs are irrelevant for this topic. You seem not to have read my conclusion and have not provided substantial evidence for your own. Please provide evidence for your claims so I may gain a new perspective and alter my views.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Why does this seem very skewed towards PC?

Oh right, because it is.

Right off the bat, Windows is missing, and that's an extra $80-120, depending on if you go the cheap route of OEM or the easier route of retail.

Second, if we go off of titles that launch the day as, then all platforms will be $60USD. Generally titles eventually drop prices on all platforms.

Third, where the hell's the keyboard and mouse? Good keyboards and mice add another $100-160 total to the price tag.

Fourth, the average person will want a more attractive case and a PSU that'd help in upgrading in the long run.

That's four points that you blatantly ignored, and I'd bet there's more.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.