Bitwit

Ape
4 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

and maybe if there didnt try to expand so much they wouldn't have a need for all this money.

I think doing what they have always done before (at the same scale) is just as risky a proposition for them due to being dependent on an increasingly fickle Youtube. Inexplicable demonetizations, arbitrary changes and being at the mercy of an ever changing algorithm... I would want to diversify also if I was in their shoes.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

5 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

and maybe if there didnt try to expand so much they wouldn't have a need for all this money.

Why? Growth is good for a company. Remember, they are Linus MEDIA Group. Which is not just LinusTechTips, TechQuickie & Channel Super Fun. They do outside contract work for companies, mostly in the form of shooting adverts. I would assume there is other work there with the talent that populates the company.

I like the idea of what they're trying to do. I personally loved Vessel & would've loved to have seen it flourish & become a great platform, especially since it had a lot of my favourites there, LTT, Kyle, Paul, Hardware Canucks & Epic Meal Time. I also think MKBHD was on there to, I can't remember I wasn't subbed to him back then.

It's no secret, that YouTube is squeezing content creators & making it harder for them to earn money from videos, even if they go viral. I'm pretty sure Paul at Paul's Hardware in his latest Probing Paul video addressed this (I think), I think it was his "4 Reasons Building a gaming PC Sucks Right Now.." that went viral within the first 24 hours, earning 100k+ views & as of when he answered the question about how he earns money in his latest Probing Paul, he said that video in terms of adsense had only earned him a couple of bucks..

So, yeah how dare they want to have a successful business model & give the fans something. Remember nothing is free in life. It all has to be paid for some way or another. This way we just pay upfront, rather than watch advertising or something similar.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

7 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

as floatplane moves on and is new content you can only get on floatplane, and im pretty sure they made that nerd sports floatplane excluness at the launch of floatplane 

So what are you losing if they add exclusives? 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

11 hours ago, kagarium said:

No they aren't, other wise they'd have this blue tag on their name

59f9319899fb9_lmgpilot.PNG.335c252da168852e5cbbd131911b28c6.PNG

So as someone who has it. Is it 2.99 for LMG and 2.99 for Bit wit for $5.98 a month or is it $2.99 and you get both ? 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

So as someone who has it. Is it 2.99 for LMG and 2.99 for Bit wit for $5.98 a month or is it $2.99 and you get both ? 

$2.99 each. One fee for all videos isn’t sustainable.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

$2.99 each. One fee for all videos isn’t sustainable.

i feel like eventually they will have to scale one fee for all or at least group pricing.

Could of done $2.99 for bit wit or LMG 

$4.99 for both or something.  if they get 3 more creators i dont see people spending $15 a month to watch 5 youtube channels. unless there goal is low user high profit compared to the opposite lots of users and revenue low profit % wise at least. 

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

$3 for LTT, $3 for Bitwit, $11 for Netflix, $10 for HBO Go if you want to watch one of their exclusive shows, $8 for Amazon Prime if you want to watch The Grand Tour, $5 for this, $20 for that.  By the time you've added up all those small subscriptions, it's surprising how big the number gets.  But most people don't realize that because each one is inexpensive and end up paying a lot more than they think.  It's only when they actually start looking into their finances that they'll realize.

Still cheaper than cable though ;)

It's better though, because you actually get to choose the content that you want. As for the exclusive programs, if you really want to watch them then pay the subscription for the months it's out. Say it's 12 episodes, over 3 months. That's what, at most $30? Going to the movies costs $15. You're getting pretty good value for the dollar.

Or, really, you could just pirate everything. In Canada the most it would cost you is $5,000. 

8 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

yes they dont like people who cant pay for stuff, we know. 

Which brings me back to my point that it's a business. They're not your friend. So, should be kind of obvious? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

i feel like eventually they will have to scale one fee for all or at least group pricing.

Could of done $2.99 for bit wit or LMG 

$4.99 for both or something.  if they get 3 more creators i dont see people spending $15 a month to watch 5 youtube channels. unless there goal is low user high profit compared to the opposite lots of users and revenue low profit % wise at least. 

It was never the goal to get 1 user to be watching everyone on floatplane. Besides, a one fee model is completely unsustainable, as shown by vessel.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Is it possible to subscribe for 12 months at a time for 30 USD instead? This is what I did with LTT

7 minutes ago, Zoeff said:

Is it possible to subscribe for 12 months at a time for 30 USD instead? This is what I did with LTT

Not yet:

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

By the time more a couple payments come out we are hoping to have Kyle moved over to a new payment system. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Is Floatplane here to replace YouTube or just to see early access stuff? If you're paying $3 for early access stuff that's awesome. If you have to pay $3 to watch content at all then that sucks. I would love to see a alternate to YouTube though, just not through a paid sub.

9 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

you do realize you can get bit by a rattlesnake then spend the next 20 years is debt

Only in America my friend.

I can get bit by a rattlesnake and spend the next 20 minutes in a Hospital, getting the full treatment with all the goodies, at no expense to myself.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Been interested in Floatplane since we've heard about it, but i imagine one must be an established youtuber/content creator with a sizeable following to try to become a content creator on Floatplane Club?

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

On 11/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, CoalitionGaming said:

Been interested in Floatplane since we've heard about it, but i imagine one must be an established youtuber/content creator with a sizeable following to try to become a content creator on Floatplane Club?

Yes, I suspect that if you don't already have a large following, you won't find success on FPC.

Who is going to pay a subscription fee for content for a creator they've never heard of, they don't know the reputation of, or the schedule, etc?

On 11/1/2017 at 10:22 AM, dexT said:

This is an incredibly greedy and stupid move.

You pay $3 per channel to watch videos a week early? RIP.

How is this greedy? If you don't value early content, just keep watching YouTube as per normal.

The actual price per channel will no doubt be tweaked as they nail down the economics. But it's not a sustainable business to give away all channels for cheap.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, I suspect that if you don't already have a large following, you won't find success on FPC.

Who is going to pay a subscription fee for content for a creator they've never heard of, they don't know the reputation of, or the schedule, etc?

Yeah i get that. But maybe as a growing channel, could have been like the discount option lol. Everyone else $3-$5 or whatever, "small" channels $1 or so. Options i guess, but i definitely feel ya on that. Will keep on chugging along!

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

Just now, CoalitionGaming said:

Yeah i get that. But maybe as a growing channel, could have been like the discount option lol. Everyone else $3-$5 or whatever, "small" channels $1 or so. Options i guess, but i definitely feel ya on that. Will keep on chugging along!

I suppose that would be up to Float Plane Media, and what sort of requirements they have for a channel to become a partner. It may well eventually become open invitation, where anyone can join.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

How is this greedy? If you don't value early content, just keep watching YouTube as per normal.

The actual price per channel will no doubt be tweaked as they nail down the economics. But it's not a sustainable business to give away all channels for cheap.

Naw this is retarded and greedy AF and destined for failure. $3 per channel for a video a week early? How many channels do they think the average underage LTT fan will sub to?

[Really?]

Edited by TheRandomness
Do not say such offensive things on these forums.

4 hours ago, dexT said:

Naw this is retarded and greedy AF and destined for failure. $3 per channel for a video a week early? How many channels do they think the average underage LTT fan will sub to?

[Really?]

LTT has 4.67 million subscribers.

If we assume a conservative 30% of them are over the age of 18, that leaves:

1.4 million subscribers.

If we assume a very conservative 1% of those over the age of 18:

1. Have a job, and

2. Are willing to pay a subscription fee for benefits

That still leaves a potential 140,000 subscribers for FPC.

So, yeah. The whole point of FPC is not that a user will subscribe to every channel on the platform. They will instead subscribe to their favourite one or two channels. This is essentially Patreon but better.

The benefits of FPC include:

1. Early videos

2. Potentially exclusive content/videos

3. Much higher quality video over YouTube

4. Ability to download files for offline viewing

5. Private subforum for subscribers to chat, etc

And those benefits will probably only get better over time.

If you don't value those things? Cool! That's why we have choice and free will :) You can continue to use YouTube like you've always done.

But the fact that you think it's greedy, is frankly, illogical.

Consider a Twitch sub is $5/month and you get even less benefits compared to FPC.

45 minutes ago, dexT said:

This is an incredibly greedy and stupid move.

You pay $3 per channel to watch videos a week early? RIP.

While I agree with you, it's going to have some success. As long as 12 year olds follow Linus, then float plane will keep gliding.

But those 12 year olds will eventually grow up, so Linus needs to keep the kids keep coming.

Ahh man. It looks like they removed the 1 year plan. wanted to get it at the end of the week. Owell, asked Linus on a live stream 2 weeks ago and he said that it would most likely still be available for 3 weeks. I stuffed up :(

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

LTT has 4.67 million subscribers.

If we assume a conservative 30% of them are over the age of 18, that leaves:

1.4 million subscribers.

If we assume a very conservative 1% of those over the age of 18:

1. Have a job, and

2. Are willing to pay a subscription fee for benefits

That still leaves a potential 140,000 subscribers for FPC.

So, yeah. The whole point of FPC is not that a user will subscribe to every channel on the platform. They will instead subscribe to their favourite one or two channels. This is essentially Patreon but better.

The benefits of FPC include:

1. Early videos

2. Potentially exclusive content/videos

3. Much higher quality video over YouTube

4. Ability to download files for offline viewing

5. Private subforum for subscribers to chat, etc

And those benefits will probably only get better over time.

If you don't value those things? Cool! That's why we have choice and free will :) You can continue to use YouTube like you've always done.

But the fact that you think it's greedy, is frankly, illogical.

Consider a Twitch sub is $5/month and you get even less benefits compared to FPC.

I'm over 30, have my own buisiness and would not pay $1 a year to watch my full sub list of videos a week early. If watching youtube is your life then I can see the draw of this but still a bad deal.

8 minutes ago, dexT said:

I'm over 30, have my own buisiness and would not pay $1 a year to watch my full sub list of videos a week early. If watching youtube is your life then I can see the draw of this but still a bad deal.

Right so you don't value those bonus features. Simple! :)

Don't sub. Keep watching YouTube as you've always done.

I reiterate, the fact that you think it's greedy is frankly illogical.

37 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Right so you don't value those bonus features. Simple! :)

Don't sub. Keep watching YouTube as you've always done.

I reiterate, the fact that you think it's greedy is frankly illogical.

Why exactly is it illogical?

By using logic which sum would be greedy? $10/mo per? $20 per? Remember, this is free media if you wait a week... and you don't need it to survive.

Would it be fair/not greedy to charge $10mo for all FP "creators"(assuming there will be many)? Yes it would, but still not a wise financial decision as in a week what you're paying for will be free for everyone in the world.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

Why exactly is it illogical?

By using logic which sum would be greedy? $10/mo per? $20 per? Remember, this is free media if you wait a week... and you don't need it to survive.

Would it be fair/not greedy to charge $10mo for all FP "creators"(assuming there will be many)? Yes it would, but still not a wise financial decision as in a week what you're paying for will be free for everyone in the world.

Greedy would be $100 month.

$3 a month is not. That's an incredibly small amount of money. You're not paying for free content. You're paying for the bonus benefits, and of course, to directly support them.

That's like saying Patreon is greedy.

Also YouTube is only free because of ads. Ads which many people block now - which has resulted in declining ad revenue, which resulted in FPC to augment income.

As for $10/mo for "all" FPC channels? That would depend on how many channels there are. But that's likely not going to happen.

I could see bundle prices though - eg: $6/mo for 3 channels, or $10/mo for 5, etc.