Assassins Creed Origin DRM Hammers Gamers’ CPUs

jagdtigger
25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I meant that the studios are crying over piracy... As for the rest of your post it seems not i am the one who has some problems comprehending that legal customers have the biggest problem with DRM not pirates(since its stripped out from what they get).... 9_9 Your thinking isnt bad but the problem is that the r=1 user just puts up with it or goes to the dark side. The only way to fight against it is to create a legal service that rivals piracy for a reasonable price.

/EDIT

Oh and one more thing. I do know pirates but dont go there. Their shortened answer: "They put a tax on every empty media, why would i bother buying their stuff if they got the money either way?"

Legal customers complain about DRM, I've stated that several times in my posts, but legal customers are not pirates. You've stated on multiple occasions that DRM is the reason people pirate, which means pirates complain about DRM, right? Or is my thinking somehow far fetched? 

As for legal services that rivals piracy for a reasonable price... we have that. We have Steam, Origin, UPlay (ubisoftjoke.gif), GOG Galaxy, etc all offering convenience and each having periodical events for sales of their hosted titles. This is not enough to rival piracy, because "reasonable price" is entirely subjective, and others see these clients as nothing more than resource hogs that collect data from them, defeating the "convenience" part. Piracy at it's core is still an entitlement issue, not a pricing or convenience issue. 

No matter what you do, no matter how much it costs, how widely available you make the product, somebody somewhere will still feel entitled to get it for free, just because they can. 

I too am friends with many pirates. I've had this same debate with them for almost a decade now, and they still take a hard stance on the side of piracy. Their reasoning is "I am not giving $60 for something I may or may not like, without trying it first". Basically, the "free sample" argument. Now, I can say that most of them do end up buying a product if they like it, oddly enough due to the achievements that come with the game, which is why I mentioned several pages ago about bringing demos/trials back to help end this kind of piracy. That being said, there are still pirates in my group of friends that simply hate the industry, and want to reap the rewards of the industry without "rewarding their behavior". 

There are fallacies on both sides of the argument here, and I am not naive enough to see that my logic has holes in it, but it still remains true that piracy is not the answer for enacting change in this industry. If every paying customer adopted the pirate philosophy, the industry wouldn't be able to afford to pay those that produced the content we consume. Is it possible that the industry would get the hint if everyone pirated? Probably, but let's be real, these are the same people making the same foolish mistakes that we all mock them about. The same industry that, despite all of the backlash from their consumers, feel the consumers themselves are the ones that are out of touch. I feel the only way to get it through their heads, is to completely refrain from consuming the product on any level, that includes purchasing or pirating it. Once they realize people don't want the garbage product they are trying to push, they will understand that they have to change, and that they can no longer get away with it. If people still pirate it, it shows that interest in the product is still there, and that they should focus on "preventing the piracy" instead. I could be wrong about that last part, but I genuinely feel that's how it works.

Perhaps now you people see why I have no faith in this industry getting better. You will always have your pirates, you will always have the die-hard fans bending over to the terrible practices of companies, and you will always have companies that justify their actions based on the previous two groups. Unless pirates and paying customers form some kind of pact to abstain from validating these products (via money or downloads), we cannot expect any change to come of it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

So the smokescreen shrouding DRM is disspelled! Anyone with sense here knows that the purpose of DRM is to give content producers unfair control over how their customers use their content, bypassing every sales and supply chain to do it in the name of 'stopping pirates'. The iPod never would have happened if CDs were using the same technology DVDs were.

The only thing that's going to make things better is an unconditional focus on product quality, and nothing else. I can't be the only game producer around who believes this! Sooner or later, everyone in the industry will shape up, or ship out.

When game studios start putting quality and UX over everything else, you will see a uniting between everyone who passively accepts the state of affairs (can't be assed to care, probably), and all of yours who do have a problem with it and are saying something. It's just a game, and that saying goes for both the players and the companies. Nobody likes cash cows.

You think making higher quality products is what it takes to stave off piracy? Why does that sound like complete nonsense to me?

We have games that are of extremely high quality, still being pirated. Games that are not only high quality, but DRM free. The problem is not the quality of the product, the DRM tied to it, or even the companies at this point. We, the consumers, are the ones that enable this behavior by continuing to support the practices we despise by buying the product. The pirates share a similar level of blame, by taking the product by force, not only showing enough interest in the product to take it (letting the company know their product is worthy enough to be downloaded), but also justifying their continued use of DRM as a means of stopping piracy (regardless of whether or not that is their intended use for the DRM, it is the excuse they will use). 

We can point the fingers at the companies all we want, but at the end of the day, it's our fault for letting them get away with it. 

Just now, Nicholatian said:

No, I think making higher quality products makes for better games, and that cascades into the remainder of the industry. It's really that simple.

As for piracy at large, the only things we can do right here, right now, is to stop pirating software (assuming we're not already doing so). Leave the worries about 'loss of sales' to the people selling things, and don't be duped into believing DRM is an elixir for it. That is all.

Then I apologize for misreading your message, I certainly agree with what you've said just now.

It's ironic in a sense that pirates and companies are both equally naive enough to think their ends justify the means.

"I don't like this company, so if I don't pay for their product, I am not supporting them in any way"- Pirates

"We have to use this spyware level of DRM on our products to protect them from being stolen, or else we won't be able to afford working on that that new DLC you want"- Companies

The irony being, piracy allows companies to use pirates as an excuse for DRM, regardless of whether or not it's true, and the pirates still get to consume the products of the company without any drawbacks, lol. 

5 hours ago, MageTank said:

-snip-

Thanks, you gave every point I was going to so I don't have to write a reply at all now :).

16 hours ago, MageTank said:

Legal customers complain about DRM, I've stated that several times in my posts, but legal customers are not pirates. You've stated on multiple occasions that DRM is the reason people pirate, which means pirates complain about DRM, right? Or is my thinking somehow far fetched? 

A big portion of pirates was a legal customer at some point in time, but they got disgusted from what the companies do to them and flipped sides. And there is a minority who done what you say and instead watch stuff on youtube or some other site. And there is an even smaller group in this who owns a legal copy then downloads it for ease of use.

We have Steam, Origin, UPlay (ubisoftjoke.gif), GOG Galaxy, etc

I wrote it once but i say again, im speaking in general for all industry who uses drm. In the game industry its starting to get better in some ways, and worse in others(cough, micro-transaction in paid games, cough)... The movie industry in particular is pretty bad in many ways.

No matter what you do, no matter how much it costs, how widely available you make the product, somebody somewhere will still feel entitled to get it for free, just because they can. 

And that is how the internet works, there is no way around it. You either accept it and instead of screwing over everyone you concentrate on satisfying your paying customer base so they will be willing to buy from you again. Or walk down on the path of your own destruction like the current trend does.

Unless pirates and paying customers form some kind of pact to abstain from validating these products (via money or downloads), we cannot expect any change to come of it. 

Thats not gonna happen im afraid... Just like with micro-transactions in games, the majority dont care. They will still buy the game and use said system. Therefore from now on it will plague the whole industry....

@Nicholatian

Thats never gonna happen. It was never in the interest of companies and some governments to have citizens that can see through their lies and false information's... (see: EU suppresses a study that paints a different picture on piracy than the corporation's stance) They try their best to control what information can the public access.

Edited by jagdtigger

14 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

I'll be happy to be the executive leading a standard contrary to that with my company, Arqadium. We develop video games as well ?

Right now, the game industry is suffering through a depression. It's not going to last forever, and will inevitably rebound on the backs of companies with new ideas who are very well in-touch with their customers. Wouldn't you give your money to a company who makes good games, if only there were more of them on the world stage?

I would OFC, but right now there arent that many of them around. Plus linux isnt a priority so my options are limited(i have 167 games on steam, from that only 51 is available for linux), just like my free time....

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

I'll be happy to be the executive leading a standard contrary to that with my company, Arqadium. We develop video games as well ?

Right now, the game industry is suffering through a depression. It's not going to last forever, and will inevitably rebound on the backs of companies with new ideas who are very well in-touch with their customers. Wouldn't you give your money to a company who makes good games, if only there were more of them on the world stage?

It's hard for me to believe in that when I see my nieces and nephews treat what the industry is currently doing as completely normal. They think nothing of it, and will gladly ask for money so that they can progress in games. "Can I have $5 to beat this level?". Makes me sick to think about it. Part of me feels the next generation of gamers won't really know what it was like before this garbage came to be, and seeing no alternative, they are likely to just accept it. 

Micro-transactions won't be going anywhere anytime soon, nor will the concept of releasing partially finished games, locking the rest of it behind DLC paywalls. I am certain DRM is going to evolve for the worse as well, and the industry will continue down this path for as long as their consumers allow it. I certainly hope that you are right, and that what we are seeing now is just a phase, but I certainly won't be holding my breath for change.

10 hours ago, MageTank said:

Part of me feels the next generation of gamers won't really know what it was like before this garbage came to be, and seeing no alternative, they are likely to just accept it. 

And this right here is why "if you don't like it don't watch/play" and "vote with your wallet" doesn't work.

13 hours ago, MageTank said:

It's hard for me to believe in that when I see my nieces and nephews treat what the industry is currently doing as completely normal. They think nothing of it, and will gladly ask for money so that they can progress in games. "Can I have $5 to beat this level?". Makes me sick to think about it. Part of me feels the next generation of gamers won't really know what it was like before this garbage came to be, and seeing no alternative, they are likely to just accept it. 

Micro-transactions won't be going anywhere anytime soon, nor will the concept of releasing partially finished games, locking the rest of it behind DLC paywalls. I am certain DRM is going to evolve for the worse as well, and the industry will continue down this path for as long as their consumers allow it. I certainly hope that you are right, and that what we are seeing now is just a phase, but I certainly won't be holding my breath for change.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

And this right here is why "if you don't like it don't watch/play" and "vote with your wallet" doesn't work.

That's why the older generations should pass the good word to the newer ones, and enlighten ghem