1Gb\s not working properly!

randrei

Hello Andrei . First of all i'm from Romania too and i must say that for RDS 1 Gb/s to work properly you need a Intel i7 processor and a pretty good ssd with at least 200mb/s write. I think that this info is has been published on their site long ago but if you have these 2 i really don't know what problem you are experiencing . I have a 100Mb/s connection and i get 12 Mb/s in uTorrent and willing to upgrade to 500 or 1000 Mb/s but i need another bigger SSD. After my new one comes i will contact you with details if ai have the same problem . Have a good day !

You don't need an i7, nor an SSD to get gigabit speeds. Whenever you download something, it caches it to RAM before it writes (it only caches a certain amount). Processor is also near irrelevant since nowadays all processors are powerful enough to handle sending a command to write 200MB/s of data.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

get a beast of a router, preferly a non-consumer grade one

maybe some sort of cisco business router or some high end asus or linksys

Bad idea. Business grade network equipment is very different from consumer grade things. Chances are OP wouldn't even be able to get a Cisco router up and running (it has no configuration on it when it boots up, and you have to configure it through a CLI). Anyway a high end consumer router like one from Asus will be good, but he is already getting the speeds he is paying for so no need to change anything.

I would think this is a difference in understanding. SMB Routers often can be configured via a web GUI, @LAwLz's post applies to enterprise grade products. 

Hello Andrei . First of all i'm from Romania too and i must say that for RDS 1 Gb/s to work properly you need a Intel i7 processor and a pretty good ssd with at least 200mb/s write. I think that this info is has been published on their site long ago but if you have these 2 i really don't know what problem you are experiencing . I have a 100Mb/s connection and i get 12 Mb/s in uTorrent and willing to upgrade to 500 or 1000 Mb/s but i need another bigger SSD. After my new one comes i will contact you with details if ai have the same problem . Have a good day !

That makes no sense, as @Blade of Grass stated. Gigabit doesn't really need a strong CPU. Let's think about it from another perspective: Look at a NAS. Atom CPUs or even small Marvell CPUs are enough for NAS devices to generate transfer speeds of 100MB/s over 1Gbit ethernet and routing packages from one network to another is far less resource intensive than handling RAID and SMB sharing stuff at the same time. It makes even less sense to say SSDs are relevant. 

As a possible solution: build a gateway/router based on either m0n0wall, pfSense or Sophos' UTM solution (and disable antivirus there since scanning consumes a lot of time). You could follow my thread *here*

edit: maybe it's your antivirus if you installed one.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

The network connections in and around the speedtest servers might be getting hit hard.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The network connections in and around the speedtest servers might be getting hit hard.

true, the limiting factor can be the speedtest servers as well. If they can't deliver enough, you won't see your actual speeds. In addition to that latency and the backbone network itself can limit the speeds as well depending on the server location. If you do multiple speed tests at the same time to multiple servers you might see a different result if you sum them up

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

Ahaha you're right, they actually recommend an i7 at 2.2GHz with 4 cores, 4GB of RAM and an SSD if you get the 1Gbps service.

That's... Really weird. You don't need that for gigabit. Even my Core 2 Duo laptop can handle gigabit just fine (at least when it had an SSD in it, now I'm stuck with an awful HDD which can't do 100+ MB/s write, and it seems like it is bottlenecking me on large files).

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot see anyone mention that Cat. 6 cables are a requirement gigabit. Or at least 5E, but I do not recommenced that.

Tux is a lie.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue, same router (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND). Ugh can't call them now, too late.

Also only getting only 300-330Mbps without the router. (from 1Gbps)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

NohbdyKnows, I do not have a modem, All i have is a ethernet cable witch connects to my wireless router in the wan port, and another cable comes to my pc from the nr 1 port on the router.

Is that cable capable of carrying 1Gbps speeds?  What is it actually connected to?  Is it coming from outside your house?  That sounds weird to me, but I'm not in Romania.

Is that cable capable of carrying 1Gbps speeds?  What is it actually connected to?  Is it coming from outside your house?  That sounds weird to me, but I'm not in Romania.

You do realize that was a 2013 question. Anyways sorry for bringing this topic up again. Google had only LTT with this problem. (Quite awesome that LTT forums are in top searches of google :) ).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

You do realize that was a 2013 question. Anyways sorry for bringing this topic up again. Google had only LTT with this problem. (Quite awesome that LTT forums are in top searches of google :) ).

Apology accepted.

Is the router v1 (the white one) or v2? If it's v1, just buy a new one (like an Asus AC56U) and keep the old one as a network switch (or sell it).

Politics: "Poli" a Latin word meaning "many" and "tics" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

Is the router v1 (the white one) or v2? If it's v1, just buy a new one (like an Asus AC56U) and keep the old one as a network switch (or sell it).

Yes it's the v1...  what is the problem with the V1's? I requested the ISP for a free router.. they will have to bring it sometime... (who ever knows when that will be)

Seems like you know some things :)

Tp-Link WR1043ND v1 doesn't have NAT acceleration (the "hardware NAT" function). Only v2, WDR line 3600 to 4900 and (of course) C5, C7 have that.

It says Gigabit on the box because it has a Gigabit switch, but it's not capable to push Gigabit speeds over PPPoE.

http://www.tp-link.ro/article/?faqid=465

Politics: "Poli" a Latin word meaning "many" and "tics" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

Tp-Link WR1043ND v1 doesn't have NAT acceleration (the "hardware NAT" function). Only v2, WDR line 3600 to 4900 and (of course) C5, C7 have that.

It says Gigabit on the box because it has a Gigabit switch, but it's not capable to push Gigabit speeds over PPPoE.

http://www.tp-link.ro/article/?faqid=465

Wow.. well that explains it... Time to sell mine. Until I get the router from the ISP is there a way to plug the cable directly into my PC and for my PC to share the internet to the router? I think I have somewhere a crappy USB to RJ-45 just not sure if it goes both ways.. or how to even set up such a thing xD. (I don't care about the internet speed on wi-fi)