Will windows server 2016 work with amd threadripper?

Nick91

Hello,

My work’s “R&D” and “IT” built a new server computer this is his specs:

AMD Threadripper 1950x

Gigabyte Aorus X399

Kingston Hyperfury X 32GB

Corsair H100i v2

Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Gold

Asus GT 710

Samsung m.2 500GB

Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

Coolermaster HAF XB EVO

The company bought the Windows Server 2016 Standard operating system prior to the PC build and had the R&D and IT guy build a PC. My co-worker and I advised that the buikd he’s doing isn’t correct for a server

Now the PC is built but the OS is not booting/installing. We can get into the bios and tried differnt boot patterns but nothing is working. 

Can we run the Windows Server 2016 OS woth this build? Are we booting something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated

image.jpg

I don't see why not. I've run Server 2016 on a Core 2 Duo just fine. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't see why not. I've run Server 2016 on a Core 2 Duo just fine. 

That’s what we thought but it’s not booting the isntallation. It gets stuck on this screen.

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nick91 said:

That’s what we thought but it’s not booting the isntallation. It gets stuck on this screen.

Windows server takes much longer than Windows 10. You need to wait for a while.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I just made a UEFI flash drive w/ Server 2016 on it to test and it booted. Fairly quickly.

What install media are you using?

1 hour ago, Legendarypoet said:

I just made a UEFI flash drive w/ Server 2016 on it to test and it booted. Fairly quickly.

What install media are you using?

We left it running for the last hour, still stuck on the windows logo screen. We're using a CD drive for the install. 

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Why are you using "gaming" hardware for a server?

Trust me, this wasn't my decision nor build lol I informed them this was way too much like a gaming PC than a server PC. But oh well 

Just now, Nick91 said:

We left it running for the last hour, still stuck on the windows logo screen. We're using a CD drive for the install. 

Get an ISO for server 2016, then use Rufus to create a UEFI bootable flash drive.

5 hours ago, Nick91 said:

Use a USB drive, not an optical disc. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

If Windows 10 works, Server 2016 works.

At the level (kernel, drivers, PnP, etc.) that it matters, Windows 10 and Server 2016 are exactly the same.

Good news, we got it to work. We let the windows server 2016 install run and get stuck at the logo for a couple hours and it installed everything after. So everything runs smoothly. Drivers are all installed and working. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.This forum has been the most friendly and help forum I've ever been in. Thank you all, you guys are amazing! :D 

3 hours ago, Nick91 said:

Good news, we got it to work. We let the windows server 2016 install run and get stuck at the logo for a couple hours and it installed everything after. So everything runs smoothly. Drivers are all installed and working. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.This forum has been the most friendly and help forum I've ever been in. Thank you all, you guys are amazing! :D 

Dang, it still shouldn't take anywhere near a couple hours to install. I remember I had it installed on my server (Xeon based though) on a SATA SSD and it only took like 10 minutes...

But hey, at least it works for you. That's all that matters.

5 hours ago, Nick91 said:

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Dang, it still shouldn't take anywhere near a couple hours to install. I remember I had it installed on my server (Xeon based though) on a SATA SSD and it only took like 10 minutes...

But hey, at least it works for you. That's all that matters.

Yea very odd, as long as it boots fast should be fine though.

@Nick91 If you are going to buy more of these get the single socket EPYC variants instead, they are similarly priced but are designed for server usage. Will require an EPYC motherboard too of course but using server parts for a server is not exactly a bad thing as you know ;)

For future self-built servers, I’d suggest ensuring dual-redundant power supplies instead of that consumer grade gear you’re using. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/27/2017 at 3:28 AM, Nick91 said:

Hello,

My work’s “R&D” and “IT” built a new server computer this is his specs:

AMD Threadripper 1950x

Gigabyte Aorus X399

Kingston Hyperfury X 32GB

Corsair H100i v2

Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Gold

Asus GT 710

Samsung m.2 500GB

Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

Coolermaster HAF XB EVO

The company bought the Windows Server 2016 Standard operating system prior to the PC build and had the R&D and IT guy build a PC. My co-worker and I advised that the buikd he’s doing isn’t correct for a server

Now the PC is built but the OS is not booting/installing. We can get into the bios and tried differnt boot patterns but nothing is working. 

Can we run the Windows Server 2016 OS woth this build? Are we booting something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows server 2016 requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/system-requirements

So yes, windows server 2016 will run fine on Threadripper. My guess is that your install media is borked, go download a new ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016 and then use use DISM to convert from eval to legit.

9 hours ago, Blake said:

Windows server 2016 requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/system-requirements

So yes, windows server 2016 will run fine on Threadripper. My guess is that your install media is borked, go download a new ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016 and then use use DISM to convert from eval to legit.

I’d suggest avoiding the eval version. Converting it to Standard (or any other version) can be a pain in the ass. I have personal experience with it, even when converting a fresh install. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2017 at 10:59 AM, TheCherryKing said:

Why are you using "gaming" hardware for a server?

the threadripper is using the same chips as epic.  the server software will work the same.

4 hours ago, agello24 said:

the threadripper is using the same chips as epic.  the server software will work the same.

CPU isn't the problem.

Here's what is: Ram isn't ECC, motherboard isn't server grade, no RAID, no redundent power supply. And the cherry on top: water cooling. ;)

8 minutes ago, Sugadaddy said:

CPU isn't the problem.

Here's what is: Ram isn't ECC, motherboard isn't server grade, no RAID, no redundent power supply. And the cherry on top: water cooling. ;)

Why does any of that matter? I've run Server 2016 on a Core 2 Duo OptiPlex with no ECC RAM, a non server-grade motherboard, no RAID (and a failing hard drive), no redundant PSUs (not even a UPS) and water cooling isn't really applicable. 

There's a difference between your basement and a business. Downtime means you lose money.

Im glad we got away from people using Optiplex's tucked away in corners of the office as 'servers'. That shit is so hard to support when businesses scale up.

So often had desktop builds like this go down, and users expected support, then have to trace it down to switch by its IP address and snoop around the office looking in cabinets until you find it. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

10 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Why does any of that matter? I've run Server 2016 on a Core 2 Duo OptiPlex with no ECC RAM, a non server-grade motherboard, no RAID (and a failing hard drive), no redundant PSUs (not even a UPS) and water cooling isn't really applicable. 

Just because you can run a server on any hardware, does not mean you should.

We're not talking about someone's Home Server in their basement. We're talking about a Production Server in a business environment. Downtime = lost money, unproductive staff, and time away from other projects fixing the issue.

A Server is expensive because it is robust. There are multiple points of failure, instead of single points of failure. Can a proper Server still drop dead on you? Yes of course. But it's less likely. And when it does, you can have Dell or HPE literally on-site the next morning with the replacement part, and a tech to install it.

If you were running the server above that you describe in a business, and I was hired as head of IT, I would immediately replace that "server" with something not likely to drop dead any moment and cost the business thousands of dollars.

10 hours ago, Sugadaddy said:

There's a difference between your basement and a business. Downtime means you lose money.

Very much this ^

6 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Im glad we got away from people using Optiplex's tucked away in corners of the office as 'servers'. That shit is so hard to support when businesses scale up.

So often had desktop builds like this go down, and users expected support, then have to trace it down to switch by its IP address and snoop around the office looking in cabinets until you find it. 

Yep, that's a good point too.

Now, there's a difference between:

Well we're using a 10 year old retired desktop machine as a server, because there's no budget and our bosses refuse to pay for a replacement.

and

Let's spend $3000 on the wrong hardware because it's "Cool Gaming Gear" that I could never afford at home.

The former is an unfortunate reality in some IT departments. The latter is irresponsible IT spending.

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just because you can run a server on any hardware, does not mean you should.

We're not talking about someone's Home Server in their basement. We're talking about a Production Server in a business environment. Downtime = lost money, unproductive staff, and time away from other projects fixing the issue.

A Server is expensive because it is robust. There are multiple points of failure, instead of single points of failure. Can a proper Server still drop dead on you? Yes of course. But it's less likely. And when it does, you can have Dell or HPE literally on-site the next morning with the replacement part, and a tech to install it.

If you were running the server above that you describe in a business, and I was hired as head of IT, I would immediately replace that "server" with something not likely to drop dead any moment and cost the business thousands of dollars.

Oh, I never said running non server quality parts for a server that needs reliable uptime was a good idea. I'm not that stupid. I run Server 2012 R2 on my main rig. I know what kinds of odd quirks you can run into. I'm saying Server 2016 should boot on non server hardware, as that's what the OP was asking. Whether or not the machine they're trying to get Server 2016 on is a good idea, that's different.