AMD Releases Q3 Earnings Results: Significantly Higher Net Income than Previous Quarters

DocSwag
28 minutes ago, Prysin said:

they suffered from the same issue as the ones from 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 AND the ones to come for atleast the next 4 years.

And that is?

Just now, MyName13 said:

And that is?

if you have to ask, you need to go read up on how GPUs and CPUs work, basic computer functions, rock bottom basic computer design and last but not least, read in-depth articles from reputable sources.

Iv'e long since given up on trying to "educate" people. None of you want study the subject, you just want a specific answer for "A" and nothing surrounding it.

AMD  being competitive doesn't compute.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

yet AMD stock shows a 11+% drop today. LOL. Guess investors thought zen will make some miracle.

17 minutes ago, Prysin said:

if you have to ask, you need to go read up on how GPUs and CPUs work, basic computer functions, rock bottom basic computer design and last but not least, read in-depth articles from reputable sources.

Iv'e long since given up on trying to "educate" people. None of you want study the subject, you just want a specific answer for "A" and nothing surrounding it.

Yes, I will certainly study computer science and computer engineering just to find out the answer.

20 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

yet AMD stock shows a 11+% drop today. LOL. Guess investors thought zen will make some miracle.

no, they have been shorting AMD, thinking they would conjure a loss. Instead AMD posted a profit.

net result?

"investors" has lost 50+ million dollars on betting that AMD would LOSE money this quarter...  Todays drop is just "salt"... investors got burnt on that stock, and now they want nothing to do with it for a while.

you have to remember that investors look more at TRENDS then at actual products. They dont read reviews or dissect the DIY PC community.

Instead they look at graphs of market share and trends of previous quarters.

Q1 and Q2 wasnt great, AMD still hasnt gained much market share from Intel nor Nvidia. Thus there is no positive trend... And investors generally dont know how good margins AMD have with their product. Thus they bet on what is likely, which was a loss.

27 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Wow, that's really helpful.

At the moment electrical engineering is the subject I plan on going into in college, btw. Any information I learn is legitimately helpful.

Not sure what speicifcally you're referring to... memory bandwidth?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wow, that's really helpful.

At the moment electrical engineering is the subject I plan on going into in college, btw. Any information I learn is legitimately helpful.

Not sure what speicifcally you're referring to... memory bandwidth?

ding ding ding. Someone knows how computers work

yes, memory bandwidth. It was too low back then, its still far too low with DDR4.

To give you a hint; the GPU section in a 7850k, FLOPS wise, should match a R5 250..... The R5 250 had a memory bandwidth of 80 something GB/s... DDR4 dual channel wont get much better then 36-40GB/s (shared with CPU)... meaning you are STILL looking at below HALF the availible memory bandwith of the "dGPU"...

and 2012-2013 was even worse, as the defacto DDR3 memory back then was something like 800-1333Mhz... which is abysmally low. Even at DDR3 2400MHz you are STILL memory constrained so badly that the CPUs, even shitty old bulldozer CPUs, would virtually NEVER be the issue.

19 hours ago, emosun said:

I'm not going to pretend intel doesn't take the same amount of time to make something that can be considered TRULY new.

But at least intel was doing SOMETHING. They were at least standing in the court practicing free throws while they waited for amd to show up. I don't think intel really minded that several year period of no competition as people paid premium prices. 

The thing is, AMD was also doing

19 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

-take the same thing and add a 1% performance bump

-claim it performs 10% better than last gen

-add/remove a couple pins

-market as new architecture

-profit

as they launched Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator.

Not enough when your source is Bulldozer? OK, but that only gets solved with a completely new, from the ground up architecture. So we are back to the 4-year horizon, etc. Bottom line: everyone was "on the court practicing", but when you lag behind there's no way around making a substantial leap. It's not about anonymous internet posters giving AMD one-liner management advice...

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

and 2012-2013 was even worse, as the defacto DDR3 memory back then was something like 800-1333Mhz...

800MHz is DDR2. APU DDR3 support was 1866 and up over the years till 2400, and 1600MHz was pretty much the standard for people buying DDR3 without a second glance already by the time the 3000 series APUs came out.

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

which is abysmally low. Even at DDR3 2400MHz you are STILL memory constrained so badly that the CPUs, even shitty old bulldozer CPUs, would virtually NEVER be the issue.

What are you even talking about? AMD APUs consistently performed better in graphics than non-Iris Intel iGPUs, and always lagged in CPU intensive tasks.

For someone so harsh on the knowledge of others, you seem to be discussing a parallel universe.

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

ding ding ding. Someone knows how computers work

yes, memory bandwidth. It was too low back then, its still far too low with DDR4.

To give you a hint; the GPU section in a 7850k, FLOPS wise, should match a R5 250..... The R5 250 had a memory bandwidth of 80 something GB/s... DDR4 dual channel wont get much better then 36-40GB/s (shared with CPU)... meaning you are STILL looking at below HALF the availible memory bandwith of the "dGPU"...

and 2012-2013 was even worse, as the defacto DDR3 memory back then was something like 800-1333Mhz... which is abysmally low. Even at DDR3 2400MHz you are STILL memory constrained so badly that the CPUs, even shitty old bulldozer CPUs, would virtually NEVER be the issue.

You know what would be really cool? If AMD made an APU with some HBM cache on board.

THAT, would be really awesome.

What is interesting to me though is the HBCC seems to help in memory bandwidth constrained scenarios. It might be that the HBCC will be very useful for APUs...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

You know what would be really cool? If AMD made an APU with some HBM cache on board.

THAT, would be really awesome.

What is interesting to me though is the HBCC seems to help in memory bandwidth constrained scenarios. It might be that the HBCC will be very useful for APUs...

no it wouldnt. Too much power draw, too high latency... better off waiting for a new gen of stacked DRAM. HBM and HBM2 is too power hungry for APUs, and FAR too costly.

13 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The thing is, AMD was also doing

as they launched Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator.

Not enough when your source is Bulldozer? OK, but that only gets solved with a completely new, from the ground up architecture. So we are back to the 4-year horizon, etc. Bottom line: everyone was "on the court practicing", but when you lag behind there's no way around making a substantial leap. It's not about anonymous internet posters giving AMD one-liner management advice...

800MHz is DDR2. APU DDR3 support was 1866 and up over the years till 2400, and 1600MHz was pretty much the standard for people buying DDR3 without a second glance already by the time the 3000 series APUs came out.

What are you even talking about? AMD APUs consistently performed better in graphics than non-Iris Intel iGPUs, and always lagged in CPU intensive tasks.

For someone so harsh on the knowledge of others, you seem to be discussing a parallel universe.

oh please,  And even on DIY desktops, APUs are memory constrained.

You are also trying to compare Intel to AMD here, a discussion nobody cares for. Intels iGPU is trash, the ONLY REASON that Iris pro is "faster" is because Intel has a huge L4 victim cache called "crystal well", that acts as a buffer between memory and GPU, and also Intel has FAR superior IMC, allowing for higher effective bandwidth.

And unfortunately for you, i OWN APUs, i OWN 2400MHz DDR3 memory and ive used APUs for gaming, ive overclocked them both on CPU and GPU and memory. Heck, i own more then one APU, i also own a FX 8320 and a Athlon X4 845 (Excavator). I know, far better then most, from practical research and testing how these things tick. Both with low and high bandwidth. Tight and loose memory timings.

Please educate yourself on actual reality. Just because the parts are availible doesnt mean they are purchased by consumers. We got 6+TB SSDs, on teh consumer market. Still not seeing many people put 6TB SSDs in their gaming rigs.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

HBM and HBM2 is too power hungry for APUs, and FAR too costly.

In a desktop I'd tend to agree, though I wouldn't mind seeing it happen(Hoping markets of scale kick in somewhere to save us dem monies).  In a notebook, IDK, seems to be a winning combo as long as they're clocked optimally and not balls to the walls like we've been seeing for vega64.  It'd be weaker CPU wise, but can't see it doing anything less than pummeling intel iGPU graphics wise.

Just now, MoonSpot said:

In a desktop I'd tend to agree, though I wouldn't mind seeing it happen(Hoping markets of scale kick in somewhere to save us dem monies).  In a notebook, IDK, seems to be a winning combo as long as they're clocked optimally and not balls to the walls like we've been seeing for vega64.  It'd be weaker CPU wise, but can't see it doing anything less than pummeling intel iGPU graphics wise.

it is potentially winning combo, but the power draw and cost will ban it from ANY notebook. Only desktop would allow for such retardedly high cost designs to be used.

AMD would be better off soldering a single 1GB GDDR5X chip to their notebooks and downclock it to 7-8000MHz. That is FAR more commercially defensible, seeing as a GDDR5X chip like the one found on the 1080Ti costs around 12-15$ a piece... HBM, even gen 1, is even more then that for a single 1GB stack. And 5X will use less power if you downclock it, allowing for a slightly tighter power target.

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

And unfortunately for you

Really, you need to call reality back asap xD

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

it is potentially winning combo, but the power draw and cost will ban it from ANY notebook. Only desktop would allow for such retardedly high cost designs to be used.

AMD would be better off soldering a single 1GB GDDR5X chip to their notebooks and downclock it to 7-8000MHz. That is FAR more commercially defensible, seeing as a GDDR5X chip like the one found on the 1080Ti costs around 12-15$ a piece... HBM, even gen 1, is even more then that for a single 1GB stack. And 5X will use less power if you downclock it, allowing for a slightly tighter power target.

The VRAM in and of itself isn't the only cost consideration here.  IDC if the VRAM is $75 or $120; its still, generally, considerably less than going with an i7 and 1060/1070 dGPU for laptops.

From what I remember seeing ryzen and vega are actually very efficient, when clocked correctly.  And HBM is far and away much more power efficient than GDDR.  I don't follow you on ether the power or cost arguments here.

:edit: That said, it all comes down to if the price/perf is comparable.  Think we're all hoping that HBM on an APU translates into some strength that can be easily leveraged.  But that is pretty much an unknown until they dawn.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

The VRAM in and of itself isn't the only cost consideration here.  IDC if the VRAM is $75 or $120; its still, generally, considerably less than going with an i7 and 1060/1070 dGPU for laptops.

From what I remember seeing ryzen and vega are actually very efficient, when clocked correctly.  And HBM is far and away much more power efficient than GDDR.  Is don't follow you on ether the power or cost arguments here.

actually HBM isnt really that much more effective, not anymore.

It was effective at the time of launch, but GDDR5X, and soon GDDR6 is matching or beating it, both at latency and bandwidth. HBM still has some advantages, but the cost of implementing it, be it directly on die, or as a standalone stack, is too high.

Directly on die means bigger dies, lower margins, higher prices and worse yields.

Standalone means a "expensive" interposer and the usualy supply issues we got today.

The power cost is still SIGNIFICANT....

a high end notebook today has a power budget (total budget) of around 70-90w, that INCLUDES the motherboard, SSD/HDD, keyboard, USB power, screen, fans and other systems. just adding ONE stack of HBM will cost you 10W of power to gain any reasonable bandwidth out of it. That is 10w you DONT have. seriously, you dont.

GDDR5X will add around 5W if you downclock it, and even at 5w, you are pushing it.

The OEMs design their own motherboards, they will NEVER add any feature that they cannot be sure to have 2x margins on.

There is no profit to be had on "high performance APUs", because at that point, you can cut costs, slap in a lower end "dGPU", get the OEM pure Ryzen CPU, sell the whole shit for 50$ more, but with 2x perf of high end APU

The only "desktop" solution for APUs is quad channel DDR4, and i dont see that happening any time soon

44 minutes ago, Prysin said:

no it wouldnt. Too much power draw, too high latency... better off waiting for a new gen of stacked DRAM. HBM and HBM2 is too power hungry for APUs, and FAR too costly.

Cost is definitely a potential issue, but I think it's feasible. Take one stack of HBM2, maybe downclock it to 500 MHz, and you got yourself 2 GBs (or maybe even 4GB) of 128 GB/s cache on board that should still be pretty low latency and not consume too much power (I would assume it'd be under 10w, maybe even 5).

It would cost a fair bit, but the APUs are already pretty small so the interposer shouldn't be too large and costly; maybe $30-40, and I'd assume the HBM could be bought for $30-40. Yes, that's still pretty costly, but it's totally feasible and could be something seen in the future.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

threadripper perf is totally not old news

no just the price isn't old news , the performance is. 

Why the fuck is an entire page of this thread dedicated to back and forth about APU performance?

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

20 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Why the fuck is an entire page of this thread dedicated to back and forth about APU performance?

APUs are product that AMD sells.  The thread is about AMD making money.  Miracle APUs could make lots of monies.

Seems fairly on topic for a tech forum, perhaps not if it were a day traders stocks discussion forum though.

How did you want to thread to progress?  You can always add to the discussion or ask any questions you might have to fuel the discussion in the manner of your choosing.

Thank you for your patronage, and enjoy your stay!

14 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

APUs are product that AMD sells.  The thread is about AMD making money.  Miracle APUs could make lots of monies.

Seems fairly on topic for a tech forum, perhaps not if it were a day traders stocks discussion forum though.

How did you want to thread to progress?  You can always add to the discussion or ask any questions you might have to fuel the discussion in the manner of your choosing.

Thank you for your patronage, and enjoy your stay!

Let's discuss the pandas because AMD exists on the earth and pandas also exist on the earth.  Ergo henceforth, logic!

Fucks sake take this bullshit to PM or a separate thread. AMD's stock went down 13% today as a result of their earnings report and none of you fuckwits even noticed.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

You can always add to the discussion or ask any questions you might have to fuel the discussion in the manner of your choosing.

Agreed. 

So how about those Lakers? I hear Ken Griffey, Jr. is being drafted for the defense. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers