What do you think of the new Google Pixel 2 and 2 XL? (Review)

I Personally love the Pixel 2 (Not XL.)  I don't see what's the deal with a wide curved screen, I honestly really prefer the so called "Chunky looking" one of the regular Pixel 2. It looks more compact and makes it easier to pull down the notifications menu, which I had a lot of issue doing with my current SmartPhone which has quite a big screen. I guess I just like smaller devices in general. Multitasking is very handy as well, I only wish more apps supported it, such as Netflix.

The Stock Android experience in my opinion, is by far the BEST Mobile OS experience ever created (This is also why I Installed stock Android apps by Google on my device and replaced the Stock launcher with Google Now, which makes it easy to search in both the Web and in my Apps list) . The Material look is both a pleasure for my eyes and incredibly minimalistic  and easy to use. Every interface has some cool effects to it which don't slow down or lag the Device, and they somehow make the whole thing feel more alive, as in more interactive than previous versions of android (talking about the old JellyBean thoguht, 5.0 was a huge jump for Android).

The camera looks sweet, color saturation seems to be amazing and video recording is insanely clear.

Also love the look and front facing speakers are the amazing.

Probably one of my favorite smartphones of all time, it's just the perfection to me.

I was wondering what you think about it. I don't really see whats' the big deal with a bigger smartphone. If I want to watch videos at an high resolution, I just open up my laptop. (Ironically my Laptop has a 764p screen while my Smartphone is 1080p).

Also does curved glass even make the difference? I found it such useless.

Edited by DarkMesa
I got confused and called the Pixel 2 XL "Pixel 2 Plus"...

imo everything that the pixel line offers the iPhone offers but goes above and beyond. 

The pixel line is at its core the iPhone of Android but the iPhone offered all those 1st party quirks first. 

Is the phone great? Sure, the pixel line is pretty solid though it lacks wireless charging which even Apple has now. That being said Android is too much of a deal breaker for me to consider it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

imo everything that the pixel line offers the iPhone offers but goes above and beyond. 

The pixel line is at its core the iPhone of Android but the iPhone offered all those 1st party quirks first. 

Is the phone great? Sure, the pixel line is pretty solid though it lacks wireless charging which even Apple has now. That being said Android is too much of a deal breaker for me to consider it. 

I always liked iOS because it's always been the most clear and easy to use Mobile Operative system around, but Android is catching up insanely quickly and became my favorite since version 5.0 Lollipop which offered my current favorite Mobile Design, Material as mentioned.

I don't really care about wireless charging but I see why some people might find it handy. Honestly, I don't even bring that in consideration.

8 minutes ago, DarkMesa said:

but Android is catching up insanely quickly and became my favorite since version 5.0 Lollipop which offered my current favorite Mobile Design, Material as mentioned.

Google has made a big effort to make Android better but to me its too little too late and they still have a long way to go. 

I'm really not a big fan of material design. Its something about the shadows and stacked layers that just aren't as appealing to me as iOS. But that's just what little ol' me thinks. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, DarkMesa said:

snip

Do you actually own a Pixel 2 XL?

Genuine question btw.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Genuine question btw.

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Google has made a big effort to make Android better but to me its too little too late and they still have a long way to go. 

I'm really not a big fan of material design. Its something about the shadows and stacked layers that just aren't as appealing to me as iOS. But that's just what little ol' me thinks. 

I personally prefer Material to Flat because of the Shadowing, but still, not saying that I hate iOS flat design, I love it a lot, just not as much as material. I still think iOS Flat and Google's Material Design are the best Designs out there.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Genuine question btw.

No, I do not. I have written my review after watching different videos about the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, looking at the Specs and Camera Tests. Ofcourse, if I had hands on the device myself, I'd be able to make a way more accurate review.

9 minutes ago, DarkMesa said:

No, I do not. I have written my review after watching different videos about the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 pro, looking at the Specs and Camera Tests. Ofcourse, if I had hands on the device myself, I'd be able to make a way more accurate review.

Yeah... I can tell because you've called it the 2 "Plus" and the 2 "pro". It's the 2 XL.

Skyggeis Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case Satin Black
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular PSU
WiFi Card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2
Case Fan: Aerocool DS 140mm Black 93.4 CFM
Other: Coolermaster VGA Holder
Other: Phanteks LED Strip 1M
Other: Phanteks Fan Splitter

Monitor: Dell S2716DG

2 minutes ago, rphawks said:

Yeah... I can tell because you've called it the 2 "Plus" and the 2 "pro". It's the 2 XL.

I am quite laughing at myself right now, need to fix that up

59 minutes ago, DarkMesa said:

No, I do not. I have written my review after watching different videos about the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, looking at the Specs and Camera Tests. Ofcourse, if I had hands on the device myself, I'd be able to make a way more accurate review.

-moved to phones section-

this is for personal reviews, if you actually have the product.  Rehashing what others say or giving input based on what you've seen is best kept to a "normal" thread, the way it is now (ie not in member reviews).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-moved to phones section-

this is for personal reviews, if you actually have the product.  Rehashing what others say or giving input based on what you've seen is best kept to a "normal" thread, the way it is now (ie not in member reviews).

Okay, thanks for the correction.

its a good all round phone but I think there is better if you don't care about stock android then go with the lg v30 or g6 if you want stock android then go for the one plus 5 or essential phone 

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

like what wireless charging? android phones have done it for years.

what ells douse the iPhone 8 do?

the pixel 2 has a bigger battery, faster charging, more customisation, better speakers, google assistant    

15 minutes ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

bigger battery, faster charging, more customisation, better speakers, google assistant

Bigger battery but does it last longer?

iPhone has fast charging

who cares

iPhone 8 has one of the best sets of stereo speakers there is

who cares about virtual assitants? 

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Bigger battery but does it last longer?

iPhone has fast charging

who cares

iPhone 8 has one of the best sets of stereo speakers there is

who cares about virtual assitants? 

The battery douse last longer and frunt facing stereo speakers

Good point about assistants

Just now, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

and frunt facing stereo speakers

The iPhone has had that for 2 years now. 1 pointing down sounds the same as both pointing up. 

Honestly, call it overblown, but the display on the 2 XL is a serious deal breaker.

I can deal with sRGB and I can deal with the insane color-shift and the “newspaper” effect. BUT burn-in after less than a week?

Completely unacceptable for a premium device.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Honestly, call it overblown, but the display on the 2 XL is a serious deal breaker.

I can deal with sRGB and I can deal with the insane color-shift and the “newspaper” effect. BUT burn-in after less than a week?

Completely unacceptable for a premium device.

It does have Burn-In? My current device gets Burn-In in around 10 seconds, so I need to use a screen dimmer. Sadly have no money to replace it any time soon, very annoying.

16 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The iPhone has had that for 2 years now. 1 pointing down sounds the same as both pointing up. 

The speaker grille on the front isn't nearly as loud and botem firing speaker aren't as loud ether besides if i wanted to listen to music out loud I'd get a Bluetooth speaker