New 1080, should I be happy with the temps?

pzspah

Fan rpm for both gfx fans: 1650

Temp at load: 79c

Roomtemp: 20c

Clock: 1923mhz

Memclock: 5394mhz

Noise: I'd say it's loud, it'll sound through headphones with only game ambience; but not through music.

CPU at load: 58c

The case is a Fractal Nano, but I got it well ventilated with 2x 140mm and 2x 120mm along with a mesh top.

Make and model to be revealed after I get a couple of opinions. It's a non FE card that autoboosts up to 2050mhz /if/ I set the fans to auto and accept the rpm/noise going to ludicrous speed.

2 minutes ago, pzspah said:

Fan rpm: 1650

Temp: 79c

Noise: I'd say it's loud, it'll sound through headphones with only game ambience; but not through music.

The case is a Fractal Nano, but I got it well ventilated and with a mesh top.

Make and model to be revealed after I get a couple of opinions. It's a non FE card that autoboosts up to 2050mhz /if/ I set the fans to auto and accept the rpm going to ludicrous speed.

Entirely depends on the type of cooling the card uses 

my Blower style "founders edition" 

Runs at 85 

79 is quite high, even if it's a FE card that is quite high regardless

3 minutes ago, pzspah said:

Make and model to be revealed after I get a couple of opinions. It's a non FE card that autoboosts up to 2050mhz /if/ I set the fans to auto and accept the rpm/noise going to ludicrous speed.

I dont know why you cant just tell us that but okay?

IMO it's a little warm, but considering it's not a FE card, then that means you have an open air cooler of some sort and one fan is almost pressed up against your PSU so it's a bit starved for air

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, RoryDash said:

Under full use? And we don't even know his ambient temp. But I really don't see 79 as high under full load.

It's a fractal nano case: Temps like these are normal for it considering

1) It's physical size means that it's far easier to saturate the air since there's a smaller volume of it vs even a medium tower

2) It has by default a single fan and Fractal has restrictive but sufficient air flow on the front (It's why they're doing the Meshify style cases now as alt)

3) This particular case also has the GPU far too close to the PSU:

Image result for define nano

You could try to have a more aggressive fan curve but at this case and size I wouldn't expect anything below low 70s for your temps, that's just kind of the deal with ITX cases it's why blower cards get recommended for these builds quite a bit: They don't actually perform better here (although they might help CPU temps since there's less hot air blown around inside the case) but the added benefit of far better temps is kind of negated at least a bit when there's not enough room for ventilation and airflow for an open air GPU that's fairly high end (anything past 200w TDP)

EDIT: Missed that you actually have more fans installed so that first point really shouldn't apply, but the fact that even then the airflow is a bit restricted and the volume of air is also limited would and probably do affect temps overall.

EDIT 2 (apologies still working on my coffee this morning): One thing that might help out is switching the PSU for a smaller SFX model that would give breathing room and possibly not even sacrifice that much in terms of noise and output, as thus:

Image result for define nano sff

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Siedge said:

Under full use? And we don't even know his ambient temp. But I really don't see 79 as high under full load.

Okay yes the Ambient temp would affect the delta, but my 1080 A8G by Asus never gets even close to 79 under full load for hours upon hours, 65-70 is probably the hottest it has ever been. 79 for a Nvidia card is pretty damn toasty

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It's a fractal nano case: Temps like these are normal for it considering

EDIT 2 (apologies still working on my coffee this morning): One thing that might help out is switching the PSU for a smaller SFX model that would give breathing room and possibly not even sacrifice that much in terms of noise and output, as thus:

Image result for define nano sff

I use that very PSU for that reason :)

I honestly don't know why this bothers people so much, i know it's expensive kit but a PC component will never be allowed to cook it's self. it's well within the safe margins 

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont know why you cant just tell us that but okay?

IMO it's a little warm, but considering it's not a FE card, then that means you have an open air cooler of some sort and one fan is almost pressed up against your PSU so it's a bit starved for air

My reasoning behind not posting the model of the card is to eliminate fanboyism and coloured opinions, makes it easier to spot if my card is a lemon or not.

That being said it's an evga classified with an acx3.0 cooler.

Cablerouting is poop as the cables are too short, still tinkering with the fans.

rhodud.jpg

1 minute ago, JackDoyne said:

I honestly don't know why this bothers people so much, i know it's expensive kit but a PC component will never be allowed to cook it's self. it's well within the safe margins 

Noise really.

6 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Well it used to be that you might as well just get the reference model in this cases since yes neither card will be allowed to "cook" itself it will just at worst throttle a lot (usually just slightly) so you'd be saving some cash.

However since Nvidia decided to jack up the prices of reference models however that's no longer a tremendous concern.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, pzspah said:

rhodud.jpg

Well at least my potential problem was already thought of and semi solved. The FTW3 cooler is pretty decent too. Maybe even with the sfx psu it's still too close so the second fan isnt getting enough air.

Regardless though, 79ºC isnt bad in terms of temperature, but maybe the fan noise to keep it at that temp is

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

that's hot. you probably just have "one of those chips"  and without seeing your system hard to say what you should improve...is your power supply fan blowing on it?  Id put some water on it and be done with it.  

nvm... I see you posted a pic while I was typing. that setup doesn't look bad.  maybe they just had to really up the voltage on that one or something to meet specs.  run it till it dies and RMA it.  

Isn't a "problem" though I'd never let my cards run that hot, ever. 

Dont know what that fan speed Ian in correlation to percentage. Which is how I base mine. If that's over 70 it's an issue. Poor ambient or air flow. Even my fe cards in sli don't hit 80's. Even quieter then my strix or acx cooler so I'll stick to those if I have to run on air. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

52 minutes ago, pzspah said:

Fan rpm for both gfx fans: 1650

Temp at load: 79c

Roomtemp: 20c

CPU at load: 58c

The case is a Fractal Nano, but I got it well ventilated with 2x 140mm and 2x 120mm along with a mesh top.

Congratz on your new 1080, hope you enjoy it. Maybe ( a big maybe ) hot air is building up around the card? try using another exhaust fan up top. Personally, 79c is a bit too hot but it wont drastically change your gaming experience.

28 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If that's over 70 it's an issue.

But why is it an issue? GPUs can run at high 80s for years no problem. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

But why is it an issue? GPUs can run at high 80s for years no problem. 

Fan speed. Context. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

80c would be an issue. It's a crap 10 series card, haven't seen one hit 2000hz with no oc at 80c. 

2 hours ago, RoryDash said:

Wrong. If it were a Founders 1080, 79°C would be excellent.

Because from Tests shown, a 1080 Founders hits the 83°C Temperature Limit, adn throttles it's Core Clock down to 1608-1650 Mhz~, in order to not exceed 83°C.

The Amount of Fans has NOTHING to do with the Cooling performance.

Is it the EVGA classified?

If the Noise is too high, and temperature at 79°C (everything up to 80-83°C is totally fine, but i personally would try to keep it below 80°C), there is not much room to play with a different Fan curve.

Try Undervolting with CTRL + F in Afterburner, and the Voltage Curve.

My MSI Gaming X can achieve the following stable, but from what i read with different users, it's quite good. You might have to go 20-60 Mhz down~:

First: Stock is: 1.031 volt~ under Load, 1961 Mhz Core, 5000 Mhz memory

0.800 Volt: 1823 Mhz (it's like 10 °C cooler than Stock, and consumes almost 100 watt less. And Fans are MUCH slower. <1200 rpm, instead of 1600-1700 rpm)

0.850 Volt: 1898 Mhz

0.900 Volt: 1976 Mhz
All with 5500 Mhz Memory Clock OC.

Try something like that, or a few 10-20 Mhz lower than that.

But you should be able to do 0.9 volt and 1950-2000 Mhz usually on a decent GTX 1080.

Result: Same Clocks as an overclocked factory Custom model, but a MUCH lower Voltage. Stock is 1.031 to 1.050 Volt for Pascal. 0.9 Volt down, and you can easy make it like 5-8°C Cooler, while keeping the same Performance.

Btw: 79°C sounds normal for EVGA.

PCGH (big german magazine) tested a few 1080s back then. The EVGA FTW ACX3.0 was like 78°C~ hot, and Noise was average (not very good, but not bad either).

If yours is OCd slightly more, that sounds completely reasonable.

Undervolting will be the key.

I know, most people won't like it.

But let me tell you this:

If your 1080 runs at 1980 Mhz, 2000 Mhz, 2050 Mhz... doesn't matter SHIT. No human beeing on Earth will ever be able to tell those clock speeds apart in real world gaming. Maybe from Benching numbers or anything. But it doesn't matter. You will NOT notice the difference, i promise you.

But you WILL notice the difference of 0.9 Volt vs. 1.05 Volt (or even 0.8 - 0.9 Volt.. Find your own sweet spot. I have mine running at 0.8 Volt. My Card consumes 130-140 watt under Load, instead of 210-220w at Stock, almost same performance) by having a much lower temperature, and thus, much lower Noise.

56 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

80c would be an issue. It's a crap 10 series card, haven't seen one hit 2000hz with no oc at 80c. 

Crap card? Oh no....no boost to 2000hz....what ever will he do...

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Fan speed. Context. 

Sure, but with most non-FE cards they are really not that loud. I dont know, running at 70 vs 80 means next to nothing to me. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Crap card? Oh no....no boost to 2000hz....what ever will he do...

Sure, but with most non-FE cards they are really not that loud. I dont know, running at 70 vs 80 means next to nothing to me. 

Idk what he will do, let it burn. 

Non of them are that loud to some one. I'll stick to 40c all the same. 

20 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Idk what he will do, let it burn. 

You act as if 80 is the end of the world when his gaming experience is equal to yours at 40

16 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You act as if 80 is the end of the world when his gaming experience is equal to yours at 40

Doubtful but objective. 

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Fan speed. Context. 

Depends on the fan curve being used...