Does 8700k have enough PCIE lanes?

Hello lads!

I've been planning out my new build recently, and I consider going with an 8700k with 1080ti SLI. 

Since I have an 6850k right now (going to sell the old build) with 40 PCIE lanes, I can run 1080 SLI with 16*2 lanes and a m.2 ssd with no problem. 

So here comes my question: the 8700k only has 16PCIE lanes...  Will that ever bottleneck the future 1080ti SLI setup?

Cheers!xD

So long as the M.2 comes from the chipset lanes, then 2 GPUs in x8 mode won't see any performance drop.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You will run both cards at x8, i heard it doesn't really matter for gaming.

I wouldn't upgrade the 6850K imo.

It is still a really nice setup, and because new Zen launches in 3 or 4 months , it could be very interesting.

Besides that you're giving away the soldered IHS.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

I will be using an Asus Maximus X Hero MB, so I guess the m.2 uses the chipset lanes.

Thank you!

@dave_k

Thank you for the tip!

Indeed the 6850k has served me well in the past 10 months. I heard that these new intel chips run very hot.

The new Zen is going to launch that fast?

The chipset actually provides 20 extra pcie 3.0 lanes , but they do have a bit more latency . You should be fine , if you plan on running your m.2 drives and other peripherals on those instead.Otherwise 2*8 pcie lanes if enough for even a 1080ti sli build. Even 4x wouldn't be an issue, but nvidia doesn't support that.

10 minutes ago, dave_k said:

You will run both cards at x8, i heard it doesn't really matter for gaming.

I wouldn't upgrade the 6850K imo.

It is still a really nice setup, and because new Zen launches in 3 or 4 months , it could be very interesting.

Besides that you're giving away the soldered IHS.

Any source on that ? I'm not calling you a liar , i'm just interested in reading about it.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

14 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

Why would you need to upgrade from a 6850K?

What's your monitor set up?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@Streetguru

I am going to do a custom loop build, so I kind of figured out it would be better to sell my entire system.

I had an AIO and a smaller case (NZXT H440) before, and I probably do not want to keep those. It's hard to sell a case and AIO on their own. 

I do pity the 6850k though. 

I wouldnt upgrade that system to Coffee Lake, performance is still up there in the top.

M.2 will run fine but will run with bigger latency.

You would probably need to delid 8700k for great drop in temperatures if you plan to overclock it to the max.

I would be waiting for Zen 2 and see what AMD can do with Zen 2, i would also wait for 10+ core Kaby Lake X cpu's.

"Game" : Work in Progress
"Work" : Threadripper 3970X | Gigabyte TRX40 Designare | 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB | Custom Loop | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC
Dell R710 NAS : 2 x X5660 Xeon | 96GB DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | 6 x 16TB Seagate Exos X16 | Dual 1TB Kingston NVMe as Cache | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Proxmox 

HP ML350P : 2 x Xeon E5 4650 | 128Gb DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | Quadro K6000 | 8 x Samsung SM1625 800Gb SSD | 240Gb Intel D3-S4610 Boot | Dual 1TB Samsung 970 Pro | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Dual 750W PSU

3 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

Just buy a water block for your CPU or something. Do you need the option of more cores or PCI-e lanes? Or it this purely a gaming PC?

Didn't say what your display set up was.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Any source on that ? I'm not calling you a liar , i'm just interested in reading about it.

You mean the Zen+ launch? 

There were leaks of 12nm refresh and 400 series motherboards.

AMD knows and has a headroom for improvement.

@Streetguru

I am going to do a double custom loop anyways...Just really want to cool the GPUs :D

The monitor I am using is an Acer Predator 165hz Gsync one. So I guess the extra fps will be great. 

28 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

So here comes my question: the 8700k only has 16PCIE lanes...  Will that ever bottleneck the future 1080ti SLI setup?

No. For a couple of reasons

• M.2 PCIe lanes for LGA 115x boards come from the chipset, not the CPU
  • Graphics cards still don't get an appreciable loss of performance until you go below PCIe 1.1 x16 / PCIe 2.0 x8 / PCIe 3.0 x4 (and even then sometimes it takes going down to PCIe 1.1 x4 before it really shows)

19 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

@dave_k

Thank you for the tip!

Indeed the 6850k has served me well in the past 10 months. I heard that these new intel chips run very hot.

The new Zen is going to launch that fast?

Well, the leaks were pointing to the Q1 2018.

AMD said they know what to improve and how to do it. They can afford higher clocks while maintaining the good power efficiency when moving on slightly smaller process.

@SlowMixit

I know the 8700k offers minimal improvements against 6850k...not having to mention it runs a lot warmer. 

It's going to be a custom loop build. So Maybe I should keep the CPU+MB, and replace everything else? 

3 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

@Streetguru

I am going to do a double custom loop anyways...Just really want to cool the GPUs :D

The monitor I am using is an Acer Predator 165hz Gsync one. So I guess the extra fps will be great. 

You probably don't need a 2nd 1080ti for that I'd think, but whatever. It'll be fine the 8700K will be the fastest for gaming.

Your only other options are X299 which is a bit of a joke, and X399 which is slower in gaming but gives you all the PCI-e in the world that you don't really need for gaming.

Your current CPU is going to be perfectly fine for gaming.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Well, the leaks were pointing to the Q1 2018.

AMD said they know what to improve and how to do it. They can afford higher clocks while maintaining the good power efficiency when moving on slightly smaller process.

So I think I should keep the CPU+MB but nothing else... 

That would be better way of doing it, saves some money and you will have everything else ready when you upgrade to better things in future example Coffee Lake X 10+ core monsters if you are into the core count. :)

"Work" : Threadripper 3970X | Gigabyte TRX40 Designare | 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB | Custom Loop | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC
Dell R710 NAS : 2 x X5660 Xeon | 96GB DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | 6 x 16TB Seagate Exos X16 | Dual 1TB Kingston NVMe as Cache | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Proxmox 

HP ML350P : 2 x Xeon E5 4650 | 128Gb DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | Quadro K6000 | 8 x Samsung SM1625 800Gb SSD | 240Gb Intel D3-S4610 Boot | Dual 1TB Samsung 970 Pro | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Dual 750W PSU

1 minute ago, WaterlooDude said:

So I think I should keep the CPU+MB but nothing else... 

I dunno, the rig seems damn powerful to me.

bigger case, better graphics cards, rgb ram, m.2 ssd's, maybe its what he wants

4 minutes ago, SlowMixit said:

Maybe he wants RGB? :)

Precisely speaking, watercooling 

1 minute ago, WaterlooDude said:

Precisely speaking, watercooling 

You shouldn't miss the TT RGB fittings xD

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

You shouldn't miss the TT RGB fittings xD

But TT has bad components other than the fittings. 

And isnt mixing tubings and fittings from different manufactures risky?

6 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

All it depends on is the metal.

But really I'd suggest you only buy from EK most likely. They seem to be the most popular brand.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

I don't see a reason why it should be. From chemical point of view, everything is fine unless you mix Al and Cu.

Prob ask in the exotic cooling thread