USB Flash drive accidentally went on a bike ride with me

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by Zodiark1593,

I would go with the isopropyl route, reason being that even if drying occurs, the time that the water remains can cause corrosion and damage the drive. That's assuming water actually got into the drive. Otherwise (like condensation), just dry and use.

I thought my flash drive, I always carry this with me, was not in my pocket in my pants.. but I was wrong. I felt it just now, and i took it out with condensation around the USB c cover. The actual USB C male port had moisture on it... SO how long does it take for a flash drive to dry out? This drive is very small, its about half the size of an iPod shuffle. I haven't plugged it in BTW. yes, I sweat on bike rides because i go for 4-5 miles on a hill 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

I thought my flash drive, I always carry this with me, was not in my pocket in my pants.. but I was wrong. I felt it just now, and i took it out with condensation around the USB c cover. The actual USB C male port had moisture on it... SO how long does it take for a flash drive to dry out? This drive is very small, its about half the size of an iPod shuffle. I haven't plugged it in BTW. yes, I sweat on bike rides because i go for 4-5 miles on a hill 

Stick it in something like rice or cat litter in a dry enviroment - kitchen cobaards work best, and leave it for about a day

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

3 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Stick it in something like rice or cat litter in a dry enviroment - kitchen cobaards work best, and leave it for about a day

Dang, my favorite games are on this drive(Solitare and 2048)... and also about 1k pictures of strudels...

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

If just the connector got wet, then I would leave it like 12 hours before plugging it in. If water got inside the device some how, I would give it a day or two. If you have any 99% isopropyl alcohol, you could dip the connector in that to get rid of any minerals that the evaporated water would leave.

Well it was only about five miles so its not that much sweat. I know first hand how much damage salt brings to electronics and connectors...

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

as long as no power touches it, nothing can go wrong, just be patient for it to dry out. (which if it was just sweat, probably not talking "dunk in the sea" here)

3 minutes ago, Loot said:

just blow innit like an old Nintendo cartridge .. good as new !

I'd be blowing a lot of things if it would make them good as new.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

take it apart, clean the connector and board then let it dry.

Just now, IgorM said:

take it apart, clean the connector and board then let it dry.

4825200_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

4825200_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

So I guess an alcohol bath is the way to go.

2 minutes ago, IgorM said:

So I guess an alcohol bath is the way to go.

But don't storage devices have electricity in them? Can't that cause a short?

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Your name fits this topic perfectly. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Your name fits this topic perfectly. :P

Don't get me started... But this is my nickname IRL. Also I've killed another drive by putting linux on it. Voiding warranties the game, bad luck's the name. I hate saying this, but yes things barely ever work in my favor. But I love it, in the bad luck i've found enjoyment and laugh at my misfourtune. This either makes me insane or making the best of what i've got. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I mean... you could always just summon Zafkiel and try shooting it?

Alternatively if you're unable to open the casing, dunk it in isopropyl alcohol a leave it on a windowsill for a few days. As long as you don't leave it in there it will be fine.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

38 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I mean... you could always just summon Zafkiel and try shooting it?

Alternatively if you're unable to open the casing, dunk it in isopropyl alcohol a leave it on a windowsill for a few days. As long as you don't leave it in there it will be fine.

Oh yes, how could i forget. but okay thank you!

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

As long as you completely dry it out it will be fine. I recently washed my 128GB USB 3 drive and accidentally sent it through the dryer. Works like new. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

As long as you completely dry it out it will be fine. I recently washed my 128GB USB 3 drive and accidentally sent it through the dryer. Works like new. 

Yeah I guess you could say, you cleaned your drive eh. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Yeah I guess you could say, you cleaned your drive eh. 

Ha, yeah. It looks like it did when it was brand new, and still has my copy of Windows 10 on it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I would go with the isopropyl route, reason being that even if drying occurs, the time that the water remains can cause corrosion and damage the drive. That's assuming water actually got into the drive. Otherwise (like condensation), just dry and use.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…