Should I wait for Volta?

PCMasterGuy

I'm building a coffee lake system, but where I live I most likely won't get an i7 8700k until late December or January of next year... Now I've heard that Volta might come out the first half of next year possibly. Would it be stupid to get a 1080 ti now? Should I wait?

Volta is still a long way off... if you're building now, just get a GTX 1080Ti.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

Would it be stupid to get a 1080 ti now?

That card is stupidly powerful for gaming so unless you game in 8k you shouldn't really worry about it.

The Ti can handle most games on 4k 60fps if i remember correctly so i wouldn't wait for a newer card.

What display do you have / Plan on getting?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

The thing is I want my card to last for a very long time like 5 years maybe more... GPU's tend to get old pretty fast so don't know how long a 1080ti would last me considering it's almost a year old already... Any one know when we might see Volta? if it's next spring sometime I might consider waiting.

16 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

The thing is I want my card to last for a very long time like 5 years maybe more

Your expectation would need to change. Games if anything are becoming more demanding at a faster pace. Expecting any GPU you buy to game top tier games with higher settings for 5 years, will leave you nothing but disappointment. A 1080 ti is a good buy, no one knows for sure when Volta will drop, Nvidia doesn't have a compelling reason to release because Vega flopped. Originally they were planning on dropping them potentially this year, but after that, they realized they are still crushing it.

Buy whatever is the best you can buy and afford, when your need it.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

19 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

if it's next spring sometime I might consider waiting.

Then you'll wait for the next one, then the next, then the next...

When the 1000 series came out I think they said 2019

21 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

The thing is I want my card to last for a very long time like 5 years maybe more... GPU's tend to get old pretty fast so don't know how long a 1080ti would last me considering it's almost a year old already... Any one know when we might see Volta? if it's next spring sometime I might consider waiting.

It will definitely last 5 years or more but maybe 4 years later the games become so demanding that you can only game in Medium/High settings with a 1080Ti

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

It will definitely last 5 years or more but maybe 4 years later the games become so demanding that you can only game in Medium/High settings with a 1080Ti

I don't know, how long can you wait. I Heard this with the 900 series.

Try a Titan X pascal then?

Looking at vega, and considering Volta comes out in a year, I personally would not

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I have a 1080 TI, no regrets, very good card. Think it would last about 2-4 years before it can't run new games hehexd

i7 8700K Overclocked to 5.2 GHZ, Asus 1080 TI ROG STRIX OC EDITION, Asus PRIME Z370-A Motherboard, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200mhz ,

Corsair Nepton H100i v2, ThermalTake ToughPower 750W Gold, 

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe Internal SSD 256GB , Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe Internal SSD 500GB, 3TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST HDD, Fractal Design R5 Black w/SidePanel, 

ASUS PG279Q 165hz 1440p Monitor, Corsair K65 LUX RGB Keyboard, Logitech G Pro WirelessZowie Camade, Sennheiser HD 6xx, Audiotechnica AT2020 Rode PSA-1 

3 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

Image result for maxwell vs pascal nvidia

NVIDIA_REAL_GPU_ROADMAP.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Volta is very far away because the GTX 1080 Ti still is absolute king, even when Volta comes out it will be at the same performance of a GTX 2080 so it won't matter unless you'll go TITAN X¹ Volta

Even Intel's Kaby Lake i7 was bottlenecking the GTX 1080, let alone the 1080 Ti exactly full potential, so yah...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Even Intel's Kaby Lake i7 was bottlenecking the GTX 1080, let alone the 1080 Ti exactly full potential, so yah...

Depends, in Project cars 2 VR with some nice super-sampling and high-quality graphical settings, you can make a 1080ti bend to it's knees pretty easily.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

NVIDIA_REAL_GPU_ROADMAP.png

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Volta is very far away because the GTX 1080 Ti still is absolute king, even when Volta comes out it will be at the same performance of a GTX 2080 so it won't matter unless you'll go TITAN X¹ Volta

11 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

Then you'll wait for the next one, then the next, then the next...

When the 1000 series came out I think they said 2019

Why would they abandon the 2 year cycle that they've had going for such a long time? It worked perfectly well for them before, won't it now? Also its not the perfomance of the card that matters, its the value you get. Example; in 2015 if you wanted to play proper 1440p ultra settings you'd have to get a 980 ti but after pascal a 1070 for much less $ does a better job at it with more vram. Thats what us consumers want.

32 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

It worked perfectly well for them before, won't it now

It worked well to costumers that had advances on the market quite regularly but for the company as a whole no, the less time they sale a generation the less profit they are getting from all the investments on research to create it, ideally the longer Pascal is the latest gen the better for them by all means, not to mean that this time we no longer have troll R9 295x2 around, nVidia has the fastest card even with AMD's latest release.

nVidia does not give a jackshit about what consumers want, they only want profit.

Regardless as already stated the GTX 1080 Ti is so powerful that not even Intel is being capable of Fully utilizing it, GPU development at least by nVidia side is too further away from what AMD and Intel has been able to offer on the CPU side of things, it'll be pointless to keep increasing performance if all that's doing is enlarging the bottleneck between highest end hardware.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

34 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Regardless as already stated the GTX 1080 Ti is so powerful that not even Intel is being capable of Fully utilizing it, GPU development at least by nVidia side is too further away from what AMD and Intel has been able to offer on the CPU side of things, it'll be pointless to keep increasing performance if all that's doing is enlarging the bottleneck between highest end hardware.

Good point... 

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

you've watched too many of these ''to maximise the emphasis on the CPU performance we've paired it with an overclocked titan X pascal running at 1080p resolution'' videos...

if you use them cards at the resolutions they are intented to be used at, and not some resolution from 7 years ago...you ain't got any problems maxing them out even with a core i5 CPU.

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

You've failed to comprehend me as well, I'm one to always state the importance of balancing builds, what I am truly basing myself is how even at 4k the i7 8700k has alone increased fps compared to the i7 7700k paired with the 1080 Ti, great example is The Witcher 3, which simply means that nVidia did end up a bit too ahead of every one else in the mix.

Regardless of reasons, Volta is yet a farfetched dream regardless, especially with nVidia actually releasing this ludicrous GTX 1070 Ti to steal AMD's mining market.

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

You've failed to comprehend me as well, I'm one to always state the importance of balancing builds, what I am truly basing myself is how even at 4k the i7 8700k has alone increased fps compared to the i7 7700k paired with the 1080 Ti, which simply means that nVidia did end up a bit too ahead of every one else in the mix.

it does not...it's normal to catch a few frames here and there when using a faster CPU, does not mean the 7700K is holding it back in any way shape or form.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Only that it is realistic speaking :/

Just because it doesn't matter much as you're still getting "enough" it doesn't mean it wasn't actually lagging the 1080 Ti especially on well coded games for multi-threading

I'm not in the mood to argue with old members I known since I joined though right now, lets leave it as it is yes? if any thing we already agreed on OP's matter at hand.

Personal Desktop":

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it does not...it's normal to catch a few frames here and there when using a faster CPU, does not mean the 7700K is holding it back in any way shape or form.

Im going with what this guy said

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Only that it is realistic speaking :/

Just because it doesn't matter much as you're still getting "enough" it doesn't mean it wasn't actually lagging the 1080 Ti especially on well coded games for multi-threading

I'm not in the mood to argue with old members I known since I joined though right now, lets leave it as it is yes? if any thing we already agreed on OP's matter at hand.

these CPU's you are talking about are capable of delivering sustained 120FPS gaming in pretty much any games that have decent enough otpimization if you have the GPU horsepower to match...and the GTX 1080ti at 4K is barely a 60FPS card if you use high fidelity settings...and in VR you can make it bend to it's knees in a heart beat...they really aren't that powerful when you have them at work on some serious stuff...