i7 7800X Delidd / Liquid metal or Grizzly paste

Hi,

So I'm buying the i7 7800X and the company who sells are offering

delidding for $126/€107/1 000kr

Warranty after delidd for $63/€53/500kr (Not sure how long this warrenty is yet but I know this tomorrow)

Choose between Thermal paste or liquid metal (I belive both are from thermal grizzly)

Is this worth it? Yes I'm planing to overclock and I'm gonna use a custom loop.

EDIT: I now know the warranty is 3 years

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

I mean like if your already investing so much in a custom loop you don't really need to delid right

My life

7 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Hi,

Warrenty after delidd for $63/€53/500kr (Not sure how long this warrenty is yet but I know this tomorrow)

Choose between Thermal paste or liquid metal (I belive both are from thermal grizzly)

Where are you getting that delidding done? Sounds a bit expensive to be honest. A Company in denmarks charges 300 dkk roughly 50 usd...The liquid metal from Thermal Grizzly is their conductnaut, Which is one of the Best out there

3 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Hi,

Warrenty after delidd for $63/€53/500kr (Not sure how long this warrenty is yet but I know this tomorrow)

It's up to you but I would get a CPU and try it out first if you notice temps are high and want to delid I would suggest to get a tool yourself to do it yourself since it would be cheaper to get the tool yoruself. 

Just now, NoobCase said:

Where are you gettibg that dwliddibg done? The liquid metal from Thermal Grizzly is their conductnaut, Which is one of the Best out there

The company who are going to import all the EKWB parts I need and who sells all the computer parts I was going for. They are a local company south in Norway and ships for the whole country.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's up to you but I would get a CPU and try it out first if you notice temps are high and want to delid I would suggest to get a tool yourself to do it yourself since it would be cheaper to get the tool yoruself. 

But then I get the risk of damage, and a voided warranty.

(I found out, it's 3 years warranty)

2 minutes ago, Joveice said:

But then I get the risk of damage, and a voided warranty.

(I found out, it's 3 years warranty)

With a proper delid too it's fairly safe, also that warranty would not be through Intel but the third party delidding service. 

Just now, W-L said:

With a proper delid too it's fairly safe, also that warranty would not be through Intel but the third party delidding service. 

Yea I know about the warranty, but if I delidd it myself I won't get it.

16 minutes ago, Joveice said:

warranty after delidd for $63/€53/500kr

They only provide it if they do it

Like @W-L said, just build the pc and overclock the CPU to where you'd want it. If the temps are too high then think about delidding then, but theres a good chance that your temps will be fine and you won't have to worry about damaging the CPU at all

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

12 minutes ago, Joveice said:

The company who are going to import all the EKWB parts I need and who sells all the computer parts I was going for. They are a local company south in Norway and ships for the whole country.

Still pretty expensive for a delid. For that amount you could buy the tool, conductnaut and silicon adhesive/clue needed.

2 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Still pretty expensive for a delid. For that amount you could buy the tool, conductnaut and silicon adhesive/clue needed.

True, but I have never done it. and really did not have plans for doing it. But if they offer it with warranty I feel really tempted.

27 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

With the tool it’s no more difficult than scratching your behind ;)

Well, I'll have to think about it. Gonna see what my insurance can cover on that.

2 hours ago, Joveice said:

Well, I'll have to think about it. Gonna see what my insurance can cover on that.

Don’t think any insurance covers this kind of fiddling around ;)

delidedded twice myself. First time with the vice meeting god, second time using the delid diemate v. 1 (which should work for lga1151 gen2 as well). Both CPUs is still running without any issues.

admittedly it’s pretty nerve wrecking. But using the tool is more or less a guaranteed success. Applying liquid metal isn’t hard, neither is applying the silicon clue to reattach the IHS.

edit: just reread OP. Your original question seems to be which thermal compound to choose? I’d go with the liquid metal any day. It is the better, and Thermal Grizzly confirmed to a friend of mine by mail, that there should be no risc of damage to the die, using conductnaut for prolonged periods of time.

2 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Don’t think any insurance covers this kind of fiddling around ;)

If I overclock my CPU and it dies it's covered, if I get a waterleak and the computer dies it's coverd.

So it might be covered for me :)

The CPU I'm getting is a 2066 socket

Just now, Joveice said:

If I overclock my CPU and it dies it's covered, if I get a waterleak and the computer dies it's coverd.

So it might be covered for me :)

The CPU I'm getting is a 2066 socket

As long as it isn’t soldered delidding is easy. De8aur is releasing a tool for that socket soon. Linus used the prototype in his most recent delidding video

Just now, Brett_Bst said:

the way I see it is the OP is more about the warrenty than actually doing the delid himself

Yea, that's why I made this an "option" as I wasn't going to do it

9 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

As long as it isn’t soldered delidding is easy. De8aur is releasing a tool for that socket soon. Linus used the prototype in his most recent delidding video

bro your pc on the test bench looks BOSS, that hard line metal tube looks amazing and soo clean, that's a pc to be proud of ! well done @NoobCase

Edited by Brett_Bst
Added name

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

1 minute ago, Joveice said:

Yea, that's why I made this an "option" as I wasn't going to do it

if you don't mind spending the extra money then go for the delid with the warrentry but MAKE SURE you have read all the things that are coverd by it :D

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

1 minute ago, Brett_Bst said:

bro your pc on the test bench looks BOSS, that hard line metal tube looks amazing and soo clean, that's a pc to be proud of ! well done

Wrong post? haha

Just now, Brett_Bst said:

if you don't mind spending the extra money then go for the delid with the warrentry but MAKE SURE you have read all the things that are coverd by it :D

Yup, always.

2 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Wrong post? haha

Yup, always.

lol didn't add the persons name, look at NoobCase post and he has links to his builds