Nottingham teenager furious after paying £450 for a photo of an XBox One on eBay

Gunzkewl

I would say honest mistake on his part.. ebays fault for putting in the electronics section or whatever. ebay should refund his money, or make the seller do so.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

There's not reading the fine print...then there's not reading the title.

Guy had it coming. 

i would say he deserved it. Why try buying it when he knew it said photo? Also, for his 4yr old son?! Besides the fact that he is only 19 and has a son of that age, he doesn't need to buy his son an xbox...It seems like a publicity stunt just to get more sympathy (also, that picture is quite unprofessional if he is making this kind of headline about it). I say we need scammers like this - to teach people a lesson.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

No.

i would say he deserved it. Why try buying it when he knew it said photo? Also, for his 4yr old son?! Besides the fact that he is only 19 and has a son of that age, he doesn't need to buy his son an xbox...It seems like a publicity stunt just to get more sympathy (also, that picture is quite unprofessional if he is making this kind of headline about it). I say we need scammers like this - to teach people a lesson.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I would say honest mistake on his part.. ebays fault for putting in the electronics section or whatever. ebay should refund his money, or make the seller do so.

You do realize that he actually read "photo", right? And I don't see a Category being the thing that should remove your doubts. He was clearly just being an Idiot and doesn't deserve his Money back. If I read Photo in an auction, I don't care in which Category it is, I won't buy it! Except if I am actually looking for a Photo ofc.

He reads photo + he wins auction = he should be the lucky owner of a Xbox One photo not get his money back because he is to stupid to ask or because he pays more attention to the category than the description!

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

You do realize that he actually read "photo", right? And I don't see a Category being the thing that should remove your doubts. He was clearly just being an Idiot and doesn't deserve his Money back. If I read Photo in an auction, I don't care in which Category it is, I won't buy it! Except if I am actually looking for a Photo ofc.

He reads photo + he wins auction = he should be the lucky owner of a Xbox One photo not get his money back because he is to stupid to ask or because he pays more attention to the category than the description!

yes, I realize thank you. category does matter actually, what category you are in depends on the type of product you are buying. He was in electronics and was delivered a photography purchase. that does not make sense. yes I agree he probably shouldve been a little bit more careful but it still doesnt justify calling him an idiot or a retard. maybe thats what you think but in my opinion it an honest mistake. 

there is no need for everyone to be complete butt holes. everyone makes mistakes and does stupid stuff sometimes.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

A 4 year old son!

19-4=15

Yay, I can do maths!!!

Yep I was like O.o damn he probably just had his first wet dream at the time and I guess it was in a girl. At least hes raising the kid though but does a 4 year old need a X1?

Also just file a paypal claim.

Hmm... He's 19, and has a 4 year old kid. So, 15, minus 9 months... Probably 14 then... Square root of 9 is 3. He created life... Half Life 3 confirmed. (drops mic and walks away)

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

19 year old student with a 4 year old son. Nuff said.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I honestly believe he is not entitled for a refund.

It stated, PHOTO. You even admitted that it said photo and you bought it anyway.

1314029819767.png

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Horribly. I'm ashamed to be 15 now. I'm ashamed to be born in the same decade, century, millennium, etc, and PLANET as this guy.

What the hell is it our business to judge someone ? yes he was 15-16 but we dont know anything about his life or the circumstances that led up to him having baby at that age, hell he could be in college right know in anycase it is not the point of the article

also these scams are a problem, the scammer was misleading, and it is against ebays tos to deliberately mislead buyers THATS why they are giving him a refund. 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Yeah, lets all make fun of the dumb kid, The fact of the matter is that a low IQ (low enough to notice and to be taken advantage of) is not a choice, it is not the result of anything that the person in question has any control over.  It could be because his mum was an alcoholic during pregnancy, his old man may have beaten him as a kid, who knows.  Any decent person will be looking out for the kid and taking the ebayer to task for taking advantage of him. After all It was deliberate deception by the ebayer, as he knew the ad would be interpreted by someone as being an actual xbox. This is akin to selling a retarded man a banana claiming it is a health potion for strength.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What the hell is it our business to judge someone ? yes he was 15-16 but we dont know anything about his life or the circumstances that led up to him having baby at that age, hell he could be in college right know in anycase it is not the point of the article

also these scams are a problem the scammer was misleading, and it is against ebays tos to deliberatly mislead buyers THATS why they are giving him a refund. 

Yeah, lets all make fun of the dumb kid, The fact of the matter is that a low IQ (low enough to notice and to be taken advantage of) is not a choice, it is not the result of anything that the person in question has any control over.  It could be because his mum was an alcoholic during pregnancy, his old man may have beaten him as a kid, who knows.  Any decent person will be looking out for the kid and taking the ebayer to task for taking advantage of him. After all It was deliberate deception by the ebayer, as he knew the ad would be interpreted by someone as being an actual xbox. This is akin to selling a retarded man a banana claiming it is a health potion for strength.

Holy balls, finally people who aren't mindlessly bashing on the guy. "but he's so dumb." "I'm superior to him" 

Seriously guys? Take your bitching some where else, yes it was stupid of him to buy a photo etc. but the fact that he has a kid right now isn't the focus of this article and honestly, excuse my language, who gives a flying fuck if someone has a kid at a "young age".

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Well that is ridiculous . I can't agree with you guys calling a "retard" however he must of mistaken the image of course as the actual product ...not every reads the fine-print so no name calling it is really not helpful.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

give this man the cock of the year award, he just won it at the last minute!  :lol: obviously printer ink has risen in price dramatically in recent weeks then  :D

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim