Equifax Website breached with flash malware.

ItsMitch

The story is coming in from ARS Technica.

In May credit reporting service Equifax's website was breached by attackers who eventually made off with Social Security numbers, names, and a dizzying amount of other details for some 145.5 million US consumers. For several hours on Wednesday, the site was compromised again, this time to deliver fraudulent Adobe Flash updates, which when clicked, infected visitors' computers with adware that was detected by only three of 65 antivirus providers.

Another day, another load of bullshit from Equifax when their website got breached and got infected with malware. Pretty fucking disgusting to say so myself, almost a calamity of errors from Equifax, unacceptable across all boards, let alone a UK breach came out that 1M+* customers details got leaked. Good company, 10/10 IGN.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/equifax-website-hacked-again-this-time-to-redirect-to-fake-flash-update/

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Another day, another load of bullshit from Equifax when their website got breached and got infected with malware. Pretty fucking disgusting to say so myself, almost a calamity of errors from Equifax, unacceptable across all boards, let alone a UK breach came out that 1M+* customers details got leaked. Good company, 10/10 IGN.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/equifax-website-hacked-again-this-time-to-redirect-to-fake-flash-update/

Good thing if we in the US of A want something like a car, house, or to pay for basic things like  any sort of bill we literally have no other option to have these folks have all of our information!  Hooray America! Hooray bullshit credit systems!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Once again proving that most of these breaches are not problems with the software but the dumbasses using it. Like what the fuck is flash doing on a server that has that amount of incredibly personal information in the first place? 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Once again proving that most of these breaches are not problems with the software but the dumbasses using it. Like what the fuck is flash doing on a server that has that amount of incredibly personal information in the first place? 

AFAIK it doesn't it just routes you to a fake flash update page.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Good thing if we in the US of A want something like a car, house, or to pay for basic things like  any sort of bill we literally have no other option to have these folks have all of our information!  Hooray America! Hooray bullshit credit systems!

It's only Equifax. Trans Union, Experian, and Innovis didn't have any issues.

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Like what the fuck is flash doing on a server that has that amount of incredibly personal information in the first place? 

You should read the article, from that statement it seems you only read the thread title.

It's a popup that tries to pass as a flash update, and the download is a malware, but it's a randomized popup that sometimes leads to those "you won a free iPhone" things.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It's only Equifax. Trans Union, Experian, and Innovis didn't have any issues.

My point is I was never asked if i wanted Equifax to have my data. Not in any reasonable manner anyways. I dont have the option to only use the ones that dont fuck up.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

i understand all of these credit agencys are pretty shitty

It took me a year to convince equifax that im not my brother....

I would like to switch to one that isnt Equifax - is that even possible?

Who decided for me that Equifax was going to handle my credit info?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

Not how it works, they all handle your info. You aren't assigned one.

13 minutes ago, mok said:

Not you. The companies/banks/corporations do. I miss a power bill? My power company reports that to every credit union bureau. Miss any sort of payment? that institution reports it to a credit union bureau. Apply for a loan or credit card? that institution reports to a credit union bureau. Refuse to give that information to any company that will report to a credit union bureau? You better live in the woods and make everything by hand then.

1 minute ago, Brainless906 said:

My point is I was never asked if i wanted Equifax to have my data. Not in any reasonable manner anyways. I dont have the option to only use the ones that dont fuck up.

You do have a choice, you can request any creditor to use the report from any other Credit Bureau. Note: Transunion is the ONLY one that focuses on credit reporting. The others also sell other products along side such as identity protection and monitoring and so forth.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You should read the article, from that statement it seems you only read the thread title.

It's a popup that tries to pass as a flash update, and the download is a malware, but it's a randomized popup that sometimes leads to those "you won a free iPhone" things.

Yeah I just read the title and quote. I tend to not read these articles when its the result of someone doing something stupid almost every time. 

3 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Not you. The companies/banks/corporations do. I miss a power bill? My power company reports that to every credit union. Miss any sort of payment? that institution reports it to a credit union. Apply for a loan or credit card? that institution reports to a credit union. Refuse to give that information to any company that will report to a credit union? You better live in the woods and make everything by hand then.

Credit Bureau and Credit Union are non related and are entirely different institutions.

17 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

You do have a choice, you can request any creditor to use the report from any other Credit Bureau. Note: Transunion is the ONLY one that focuses on credit reporting. The others also sell other products along side such as identity protection and monitoring and so forth.

This is factually wrong in most A lot instances. In my case my power company reports all activity to all Credit Bureaus. If i dont like this then my only other option is to not have power. This is the same with my City water payment and internet bill. Its also true of my current car loan. In general its a pretty fair assumption that that if you are an American 18+ and have payed any kind of bill ranging from rent to your phone bill Equifax has your personal information acknowledge you know it or not.

14 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Credit Bureau and Credit Union are non related and are entirely different institutions.

Obviously just a misstep when typing, i am aware of this.

EDIT: Most is a little to broad

10 minutes ago, mok said:

You made those decisions when you agreed to the terms with those services. Most lenders will use Transunion, while charge card and credit card companies will use Experian for the most part. Also ignore "FICO" numbers as they are nothing more than an average of the big three bureaus scores. 

Russia at it again with those Kaspersky hackers

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

This is factually wrong in most instances. In my case my power company reports all activity to all Credit Bureaus. If i dont like this then my only other option is to not have power. This is the same with my City water payment and internet bill. Its also true of my current car loan.

Obviously just a misstep when typing, i am aware of this.

No, with the FCRA you can request for a separate agency to be used. This is done to protect you from any inaccurate reporting that could have been done at any one bureau (identity theft, incorrect reporting, and so on) as they are in fact all competitors. 

It wasn't obvious as most people are mis informed on what "Credit Unions" actually are. I have had to inform people about this before on this very forum. I deeply apologize if I offended you in some way or seemed off-putting, as that was not my intention.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

No, with the FCRA you can in fact request for a separate agency to be used. This is done to protect you from any inaccurate reporting that could have been done at any one bureau (identity theft, incorrect reporting, and so on). 

It wasn't obvious as most people are mis informed on what "Credit Unions" actually are. I have had to inform people about this before on this very forum. I deeply apologize if I offended you in some way or seemed off-putting, as that was not my intention.

I was not offended just pointing out that i was talking about bureaus it was just a "slip of the tongue"

Looking at my "Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act " on the FTC website they list my rights as the following.

1) You must be told if information in your file has been used against you.

2) You have the right to know what is in your file.

3) You have the right to ask for a credit score

4) You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information

5) Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information.

6) Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information.

7) Access to your file is limited.

8) You may limit “prescreened” offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report.

9) You may seek damages from violators

Nowhere in this list can I find anything pertaining to having options/right as to not give information to a specific bureau. Basically my power company says "hey we report all negative activity to all credit bureaus and you agree to that by signing up. If you dont like it then find another power company (p.s. another company doesnt exist)"

Am i missing something?

9 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

I was not offended just pointing out that i was talking about bureaus it was just a "slip of the tongue"

Looking at my "Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act " on the FTC website they list my rights as the following.

1) You must be told if information in your file has been used against you.

2) You have the right to know what is in your file.

3) You have the right to ask for a credit score

4) You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information

5) Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information.

6) Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information.

7) Access to your file is limited.

8) You may limit “prescreened” offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report.

9) You may seek damages from violators

Nowhere in this list can I find anything pertaining to having options/right as to not give information to a specific bureau. Basically my power company says "hey we report all negative activity to all credit bureaus and you agree to that by signing up. If you dont like it then find another power company (p.s. another company doesnt exist)"

Am i missing something?

Well they don't call it "summary" for no reason lol. If you can give me time I can get the full work up. It isn't currently accessible for me as I am at my office. However, Yes they can report to which ever they so choose to, BUT, big but, they do have to give an option to PULL your credit history from, for any said services or products.

They have the right to, with your permission, report (negative and positive as all is recorded) to any agency they so please. You have the right request for another bureau to be used for checking your credit history. That's the short end of it.

I do feel we are a little off topic and if mod feels it's necessary to cease, you can PM me

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Well they don't call it "summary" for no reason lol. If you can give me time I can get the full work up. It isn't currently accessible for me as I am at my office. However, Yes they can report to which ever they so choose to, BUT, big but, they do have to give an option to PULL your credit history from, for any said services or products.

They have the right to, with your permission, report (negative and positive as all is recorded) to any agency they so please. You have the right request for another bureau to be used for checking your credit history. That's the short end of it.

Okay i think we are on two different pages. I am not complaining that they do a poor job of telling people my credit history. I'm saying they do a very poor job of keeping my personal data private and i (and most if not all Americans) have no choice other than to give them my personal data. Its not a problem of "oh i dont like how they report my credit" its a matter of "oh, this company that im forced to have personal data invested in is going to get my identity stolen."

25 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Okay i think we are on two different pages. I am not complaining that they do a poor job of telling people my credit history. I'm saying they do a very poor job of keeping my personal data private and i (and most if not all Americans) have no choice other than to give them my personal data. Its not a problem of "oh i dont like how they report my credit" its a matter of "oh, this company that im forced to have personal data invested in is going to get my identity stolen."

Yes, you are correct Equifax is not the greatest with security and it is shown in their history. What I thought you were saying was that if you went to request a service and they wanted to do a check of your credit first, that you had no choice as which bureau they could check with. Equifax is notorious for reporting issues as they are the most used by credit card companies and are a slight pain to get corrected. Experian and Transunion are typically pretty easy to work with.

here is a funny thought, their "Credit" with people is tanking pretty hard right now. So who do they go to, to fix it? Lol

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

And these are the ones trusted to to be about to rate my credit good enough for a mortgage? WTF?

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

And these are the ones trusted to to be about to rate my credit good enough for a mortgage? WTF?

Most likely not. You'll have to check with your lender. Most use Transunion for mortgages.

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Most likely not. You'll have to check with your lender. Most use Transunion for mortgages.

Is that a fact? I thought they used the combined trifecta.

25 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Is that a fact? I thought they used the combined trifecta.

Most lenders use Transunion as it is going to provide the most accurate credit history for that kind of lending. I will put it this way, credit card companies love Equifax and most use it, credit card fraud is quite common and easy to resolve but it can still hit your credit till its reverted. Most Lenders recognize this and won't use it especially for mortgages since most are sold off to Fanniemae or Freddiemac and it is a HUGELY regulated market. I can go more into it but i would need a keyboard and twenty to thirty minutes to type it all out.

and this isn't the right thread for that. I'm already way off topic lol.