More Like Coffee Lack: Coffee Lake Shortage "grinds" Sales To a Halt

13 hours ago, TheOriginalHero said:

I highly doubt this is planned shortages. Coffee lake was probably planned for Q1 2018 but pushed months foward due to ryzen

Planned shortage may not be the best way to say it, but they definitely knew they were going to sell out immediately and chose to release limited. Cough Cough NES Classic Cough SNES Classic.

As dumb as people in this community like to insinuate that intel is, they knew exactly what they were doing. They took back a very small percentage of real estate without having a large scale release while having all the popular tech news outlets have the 8700k front page. Now they're sold out and everyone will be talking about it, keeping it relevant for at least a month to come.

Ryzen does not have intel in a scramble making mistakes just to respond. Ryzen has barely been adopted into prebuilts and the DIY PC population is a lot smaller than you think. If anything intel did this to overtake a future AMD release.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

its out 6 months early, they didnt have time to build the stockplie basically

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So people realized that it was a paper launch just now?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its out 6 months early, they didnt have time to build the stockplie basically

6 months is a bit of a stretch.

5 minutes ago, Vode said:

So people realized that it was a paper launch just now?

its not really a paper launch when they are selling the product

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

6 months is a bit of a stretch.

its still been pushed up quite a bit, either way they had a lot less time to build stock

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A visual representation of Coffee "Lake":

thumb_600.jpg?1346264027

Let's be honest, it's a great CPU. Well, it's a 7700K with 2 more cores and a little higher clock rate. But that is also "good enough". The low amount of PCI lanes still suck, but really Intel panicked from Ryzen sales and rushes this launch something fierce. Just like X299. The result is a product people cannot buy, massive price gouging and leading on consumers that they can get a future product today when they cannot. It's a panic move and should be criticized.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

They're geniuses. Release something great you can't produce cheaply and tell you are selling them at normal prices. Then you give a few of them here and there, you say you're on it until you come up with a way to make them affordable. That stops sells for the competitor without needing an actual product!

9 minutes ago, Notional said:

A visual representation of Coffee "Lake":

Let's be honest, it's a great CPU. Well, it's a 7700K with 2 more cores and a little higher clock rate. But that is also "good enough". The low amount of PCI lanes still suck, but really Intel panicked from Ryzen sales and rushes this launch something fierce. Just like X299. The result is a product people cannot buy, massive price gouging and leading on consumers that they can get a future product today when they cannot. It's a panic move and should be criticized.

Price gouging is usually a thing on any launch which is why you should wait for prices to normalize. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

28 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Price gouging is usually a thing on any launch which is why you should wait for prices to normalize. 

It's only a thing when demand > supply. Sure there will be an influx of demand at launch, but the supply is either extremely low or outright non existing. That wait is up to half a year some places.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro