Delidding a $1000 CPU - Worth the RISK??

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Why didn't this video come out 3 years ago when the blade method fell out of popularity?

for the same reason he didn't use a delid tool that already existed when he made the first one.

1 hour ago, spat55 said:

It's still not worth the risk, even if you don't cock it up you'll invalidate the warranty! The only time it's worth delidding is when you have a older chip without warranty that you want to balls out overclock.

"Invalidating" a warranty that would've already been (technically) invalidated merely by overclocking ("operating outside of Intel's official specifications") the chip xD?

If push comes to shove, one can always just use some black silicone adhesive under the IHS, some regular thermal grease on the die (or buy some Dow Corning if you're super paranoid) and it'll be essentially indistinguishable from a non-delidded CPU even if they decide to inspect/take-it-apart. 

This is of course, assuming that one did not physically damage the CPU itself. which itself is pretty darn hard to do with a delid kit (short of not reading the provided instructions and placing the CPU upside-down within the tool, dropping the package onto the floor from the ceiling, smashing something hard against the PCB, or just general physical abuse that is not covered under the warranty anyways).

I felt kind of bad when he commented in my "delid explanation" thread, but Linus did make a point to remove the adhesive, and commented on how much there was.  He still blamed everything on the TIM, but at least he did it correctly.

Sorry if anyone at LTT reads this, but has anyone else felt like all their recent videos have been one take?  To me it seems like there are an increased number of errors (such as dropping stuff and fumbling with the script) that are left in instead of being shot over with a new take..

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

lf you overclock your CPU you have already voided your warranty, so what difference is it to delid the CPU for overclocking overhead? Don't say the obvious one, that it is easily evident that you delidded the CPU by visual inspection. :)

3 minutes ago, Steve W said:

lf you overclock your CPU you have already voided your warranty, so what difference is it to delid the CPU for overclocking overhead? Don't say the obvious one, that it is easily evident that you delidded the CPU by visual inspection. :)

Overclocking doesn't void the warranty.  Do you really think Intel would make chips specifically for overclocking, then void the warranty if you overclock them?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

16 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Overclocking doesn't void the warranty.  Do you really think Intel would make chips specifically for overclocking, then void the warranty if you overclock them?

I think that you reread your CPU warranty. If you see a clause about running your CPU outside of specifications voiding your warranty, then overclocking voids your warranty.

2 minutes ago, Steve W said:

I think that you reread your CPU warranty. If you see a clause about running your CPU outside of specifications voiding your warranty, then overclocking voids your warranty.

A year ago when I read it, overclocking was covered.  Unless it's changed in 2017, damage from overclocking is covered.

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

A year ago when I read it, overclocking was covered.  Unless it's changed in 2017, damage from overclocking is covered.

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/warranty_processor_english.pdf

WARNING: 
Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) 
cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other 
damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its 
specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be 
fit for any particular purpose.
EXTENT OF LIMITED WARRANTY
Intel does not warrant that the Product will be free from design defects or errors known as “errata.” Current characterized errata are avail
-
able upon request. Further, this Limited Warranty does NOT cover: 
• any costs associated with the repair or replacement of the Product including labor, installation or other costs incurred by you, and in 
particular, any costs relating to the removal or replacement of any Product that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any 
printed circuit board; 
OR
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or 
environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, 
or improper testing; 
OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications or where the original identifica
-
tion markings (trademark or serial number) has been removed, altered or obliterated from the Product.

1 minute ago, Steve W said:

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/warranty_processor_english.pdf

WARNING: 
Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) 
cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other 
damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its 
specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be 
fit for any particular purpose.
EXTENT OF LIMITED WARRANTY
Intel does not warrant that the Product will be free from design defects or errors known as “errata.” Current characterized errata are avail
-
able upon request. Further, this Limited Warranty does NOT cover: 
• any costs associated with the repair or replacement of the Product including labor, installation or other costs incurred by you, and in 
particular, any costs relating to the removal or replacement of any Product that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any 
printed circuit board; 
OR
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or 
environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, 
or improper testing; 
OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications or where the original identifica
-
tion markings (trademark or serial number) has been removed, altered or obliterated from the Product.

That wasn't there when I got my 4790k.  I made sure of it.  Honestly though, I doubt they could tell for sure that it had been overclocked.  No settings are stored on the CPU.  Plus CPU's will automatically throttle (or shut down) if they get too hot now.  Aside from physical damage, I've never seen or heard of a modern CPU die.

4 hours ago, Steve W said:

Yes but it's not exactly the same.

When you OC your CPU, they won't know that, since there is no way to 100% prove that.

But when you delid it ... yeah they will notice it pretty fast.

You can say that you never OCed it and act dumb. Can't do the same once you delid it: "sorry sir I have no idea what are you talking about voiding my warranty with deliding. IHS fell off on it's own and I found some liquid metal and super glue to fix it on my own". Yeah that won't work xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Any particular reason why liquid metal wasn't used for this video, @GabenJr?

The result should be even better with LM.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

18 hours ago, spat55 said:

It's still not worth the risk, even if you don't cock it up you'll invalidate the warranty! The only time it's worth delidding is when you have a older chip without warranty that you want to balls out overclock.

It's not worth the risk to you. Talking about older processors, that 3570K of yours? when do you plan on stepping up at delidding it? 

It doesn't have a warranty since it's overclocked so might as well go full on. 

5 hours ago, Klovnious said:

Any particular reason why liquid metal wasn't used for this video, @GabenJr?

The result should be even better with LM.

So they can make another video of course!

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

maybe a little tip for ltt benchmark department. delid the cpu's and then engrave the model on the heatsink. that way they dont desolve under isopropal alcohol.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

18 hours ago, dfg666 said:

So you want it to be like the old days where overclocking is this "1337 crew" only thing? For the "big boys".

No, I'm just not stupid enough to think when you take an extremely fast 18 core part and overclock it, that it shouldn't need some crazy hardware alongside it to keep up. 

These days it seems everyone wants 5ghz on a 212 evo with a 200 core CPU, that's just not how it works lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

19 hours ago, dfg666 said:

So you want it to be like the old days where overclocking is this "1337 crew" only thing? For the "big boys".

LEET.png.6ae8f004cd4b69c7a4f698b3f37cf807.png

since this processor is already delidded and warranty void, I would like to see what happens if you replace the lid with a piece of copper....what made me think of this was my old Dell XPS M1330...The one with the NVidia overheating problems. one mod on that was to use a pure copper "spacer" to replace the faulty thermal tape. with that being said, I wonder how the I9 would react to modding the lid?

There are a lot of negative reviews of this video and while it may not have been perfect I still learned something

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

On 10/10/2017 at 2:53 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

It's not worth the risk to you. Talking about older processors, that 3570K of yours? when do you plan on stepping up at delidding it? 

It doesn't have a warranty since it's overclocked so might as well go full on. 

So they can make another video of course!

They can't tell if it's been overclocked unless you kill it with voltage, not sure if I could be bothered with a delid considering I'd be lucky to get another 100mhz because I'm running 1.4v now, any lower and I start getting windows errors with IBT.

3 minutes ago, spat55 said:

They can't tell if it's been overclocked unless you kill it with voltage, not sure if I could be bothered with a delid considering I'd be lucky to get another 100mhz because I'm running 1.4v now, any lower and I start getting windows errors with IBT.

Don't think 1.4V on a 212 Evo is a really good idea tbh. Could be the board though. 

Especially at that clock. CPU is probably starting to degrade. GG

Should only need 1.2 for around 4.5GHz.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Don't think 1.4V on a 212 Evo is a really good idea tbh. Could be the board though. 

Especially at that clock. CPU is probably starting to degrade. GG

Should only need 1.2 for around 4.5GHz.

Had it like this for at least 2 years and I've had no issues, also running my ram at 1.68v, people worry too much my temps stay below 80c when gaming so it doesn't bother me.

IF I got a decent chip then 1.2v may be possible but for me with IBT if I lower away from 1.4v I get Windows errors and eventually crashing so it has to stay like this.

• 1 month later...

So I'm just gonna chime in here, this video is badly done on so many levels.  If you're going to delid, use liquid metal, that's the whole damn point.  Of course you're not going to see amazing differences by replacing shitty toothpaste for good toothpaste.

I did a 7900x delid tonight, Pre-delid cinebench temps @ 4.6 on a custom water loop were 90+C on the hottest core.  Popped the lid off, cleaned it up, covered SMD's with kapton tape, applied liquid metal, glued IHS back on, used kryonaut between IHS and water block, re-ran cinebench multiple times, max core temp of 62C.

Delidding works, if you use the right stuff.  Don't use TIM like a potato.

On 09/10/2017 at 7:53 PM, GabenJr said:

Delidding can be difficult and dangerous - But CAN it reap rewards on the right CPU if you're willing to void your warranty?

Buy a Delid Die Mate 2:
On Caseking: http://geni.us/fWxSA8

Buy a Delid Die Mate X:
On Caseking: http://geni.us/KZqESv

Buy a Core i9 7900X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/S5It1
On Newegg: http://geni.us/j9CelB

Buy a Core i7 7700K:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/bE1U

Touché, at least it can be delidded, haha good old sandy and ivy bridge E, like my 3820 and 4930K cant even be delidded, to my knowledge but yeah :P

My PC (Known as TRX):

—CPU: TR 1900X

—Ram: 16GB Corsair Dom Plats "ROG Edition"

—Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

—Motherboard: Asrock X399 Taichi

—Storage: 512GB Sabrent Rocket, 2.5TBs HDD

—CPU Cooling: Cooler Master ML360 TR4 RGB Edition

—Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

—PSU: Corsair AX860