What motherboard brand do you prefer and why?

What motherboard brand do you prefer and why?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What motherboard brand do you prefer and why?

• Asrock
    • Asus
    • EVGA
    • Gigabyte
    • MSI
    • Other

I'm curious. What motherboard brand do you prefer and why? I myself prefer Asus as they have (IMO) a good lineup of high end and pretty solid boards, without a bunch of added useless gimmicks like some other board manufacturers keep adding to their high end lineup. Won't say any names though. But there's good and bad things about every brand, so... Which is your preferred choice and why?

Asus, because I my first build was an Asus AT motherboard, with AT power, which I plugged in backwards (because on the old AT style, you could do that) and it blew a hole in the mobo, and once I corrected that mistake, it still ran for years with no ill effects.

When I was a system builder (11 years, probably 10k system sold) 99% were Asus boards and I *never* had any fail.

None.

Asus, or nothing.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Gigabyte for me.

I’m still running a X58 board from them on a daily basis and it’s probably 7 years old now. Never had any problems with it.

A lot of systems I’ve built had gigabyte boards as well and I’ve ne we had one fail yet.

To be honest though I don’t really care much. I just choose a motherboard that fits my needs best and looks good.

Prefer Asus, avoid asrock like the plague. Will buy msi or gigabyte if there's an issue with asus's lineup 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Abit used to be my go to board for reliability, then they went under.

I spent a couple of years trying out different brands to determine what my next board would be and Gigabyte has been good to me for close to 10 years, also sticking with the same brand has allowed easier migration in new builds.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

I tend to dislike Asus ROG boards and poor value on their lower end boards, pretty much I'd only prefer Asus boards if their like 200 USD+. Replaced my Z270 Gigabyte with a Z170 Deluxe since Z270 BIOS bricked itself. 

Only used Gigabyte for the alst 4 motherboard and they havent bend me over yet. 

I've used boards from the "big 3" board manufacturers (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte) and they've all served their purpose without issue. My current motherboard's UEFI is probably the easiest to navigate.

I guess I'm not qualified to answer the OP's question; it's when issues present themselves and how the manufacturer aids in rectifying the problem is what separates them.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Nearly anyone (preference to MSI and Gigabyte), but Asus (would have to make it worthwhile) and ECS (makes craptastic coasters). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Gigabyte due to durability, I've never personally seen one of their boards fail even in horrid conditions and my rule of thumb durability is king. I stay away from ASUS like the plague for the opposite reason.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Always had an Asus board. Nothing less.  Currently got a Z170 Pro Gaming but im going Coffee and ordered the Z370 Strix. 

I have a preference toward ROG boards, but didnt get the ITX ROG z170 board because it didn't work with my radiator placement. 

Asus for boards

Nvidia for GPUs

Samsung for SSDs

Corsair for AIOs and PSU's

WD for HDs

7 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Asus for boards

Nvidia for GPUs

Samsung for SSDs

Corsair for AIOs and PSU's

WD for HDs

Ha! That's exactly what I would go for as well :) and Intel CPU's of course :P 

36 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

I'm curious. What motherboard brand do you prefer and why? I myself prefer Asus as they have (IMO) a good lineup of high end and pretty solid boards, without a bunch of added useless gimmicks like some other board manufacturers keep adding to their high end lineup. Won't say any names though. But there's good and bad things about every brand, so... Which is your preferred choice and why?

ASUS. great customer service and their boards are top quality, never had any problems with them ever.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I was always an Asus guy, but my newest build I ordered a Asus x299 Deluxe and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7.  I was going to compare and test both keeping the one I liked better.  The Asus was DOA, so I have stuck with the Gigabyte.  It is a super nice board.  I still prefer the Asus bios, but damn the Gigabyte is a quality piece of hardware.  If I was buying a setup now, it would be a really tough choice.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

2 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

ASUS. great customer service and their boards are top quality, never had any problems with them ever.

That is because you are in the UK.  Asus USA definitely not "great customer service".

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

3 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

That is because you are in the UK.  Asus USA definitely not "great customer service".

Yup. Asus USA is crap on customer service. 

I voted asrock. They pack a ton of features into their boards for a great price

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

I'm an ROG fanboy, if the Avatar didn't give it away. Honestly, most all of your brand name motherboard are fairly sell made, with the exception of a bad model here and there. I build a lot of systems and rarely have a bad board. I will say, when it comes to faulty products though I've had the most luck dealing with EVGA and Asus.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Abit is gone? I haven't seen one of their boards since the 400BX (iirc) era, but I liked what I saw.

Shame ECS is still around, they were absolute bottom of the barrel. Them and chaintech

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Abit is gone? I haven't seen one of their boards since the 400BX (iirc) era, but I liked what I saw.

Shame ECS is still around, they were absolute bottom of the barrel. Them and chaintech

Yep sadly Abit is gone, it was in part due to the capacitor fiasco in the late 90’s early 2000... they were one of very few companies that opted to repair or replace any board affected, although it was the right thing to do they suffered financially because of it.

More here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

1 hour ago, PCMasterGuy said:

Ha! That's exactly what I would go for as well :) and Intel CPU's of course :P 

Im temped to build a budget AMD ryzen rig. Just use parts I got and buy what I need. 

I wanna play with it but not be so invested in it. Just a couple hundred on top of the cpu

got a psu, case, gpu, drive. Just need windows and ram

I have had all the motherboards listed. AsRock is an Asus board (budget board). Anything from ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte is good stuff. Asus is the biggest of the 3 but that doesn't mean they are always the best motherboard. 

I am pretty sure ASRock is no longer a division of Asus.  I think they broke out on their own a while ago.

4 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I am pretty sure ASRock is no longer a division of Asus.  I think they broke out on their own a while ago.

You are correct, ASRock was acquired by pegatron in 2010.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

I've never really had a preference. But my current board is an MSI and I'm interested in getting another MSI board. But I wouldn't rule other boards out if they peaked an interest.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization