Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO vs other (for gaming)

Piinnn

Hey guys, im  looking for Headphones for 50% gaming and 50% Music. My Budget is maximal 150€. I thought about the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and heard that it´s the best for its price.

Now i want to hear your opinions.

The most important things for me are:

-7.1 Surround Sound (eventually with software)

-Open Headphones (so that i can hear noises from outside, otherwise i am talking  loud af xD)

-Good Bass

Thanks for all proposals!

34 minutes ago, Piinnn said:

Hey guys, im  looking for Headphones for 50% gaming and 50% Music. My Budget is maximal 150€. I thought about the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and heard that it´s the best for its price.

Now i want to hear your opinions.

The most important things for me are:

-7.1 Surround Sound (eventually with software)

-Open Headphones (so that i can hear noises from outside, otherwise i am talking  loud af xD)

-Good Bass

Thanks for all proposals!

7.1 surround is garbage. stereo is the way to go for gaming and music. and if you're gonna do 7.1 on the DT990's by software, i'm guessing its gonna be trash since its a stereo headphone.

apart from that, your list ticks all of the DT990.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I know, thats the reason i want the DT990. But i wanted to know if there are other maybe cheaper headphones like that. And i don´t want Stereo, but where do you think the problem is with the DT990 and Surround sound ?

2 minutes ago, Piinnn said:

I know, thats the reason i want the DT990. But i wanted to know if there are other maybe cheaper headphones like that. And i don´t want Stereo, but where do you think the problem is with the DT990 and Surround sound ?

Be sure to quote people when you reply to them, so they get a notification.

What @SeanAngelo said is that 7.1 is quite awful, since the headphones are usually just stereo headsets and the 7.1 is simulated, which doesn't sound great (of course that is in my opinion, but it's quite useless too, since even with stereo headphones you can hear when sounds are coming from the left, right or back or front or whatever). So this would be an issue with the DT 990's too, they are stereo headphones, but when you simulate 7.1 it just doesn't sound good.

That said, I have the DT990 (250 Ohm) and I am quite happy with it. (In my very much subjective and humble opinion) I think the bass is a little 'muddy', but otherwise I am quite happy with it.

This is all without an amp.

Keep in mind the 250Ohm version of the DT990 has a coiled ('old telephone') cable, as opposed to a normal cable, the 32 and 70 Ohm versions have a normal cable.

Headphones kinda clamp on your head, but the awesome velour padding makes it so the headphones are comfy for long listening sessions. As with any open back headphone, sound leakage is quite a big deal.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, Piinnn said:

its not natural 7.1 surround sound, idk if its called natural surround sound but quote me if im wrong. like what @Minibois said, it's simulated. trust me, surround sound on stereo headphones aren't good at all. you're just wasting your money on some decent headphones just to simulate 7.1 on it. that's like me spending $5k on a rig just to play minecraft. if you want 7.1, just get HyperX Cloud II's.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you can tolerate peaky treble and thin mids, they're probably your best match. If you care about those two things, also look at the Fidelio X2, which is the same price in Germany. More bass quantity but bass doesn't extend as low or hit quite as cleanly, slightly smaller soundstage, better most other things.

What music do you listen to and what headphones do you use now?

@SeanAngelo The headset i´m using now is the Hyperx cloud 2 and i´m not that satisfied with the sound in general, especially with the bass.

I also looked at other Headsets like the Steelseries Arctis 5 or the Steelseries Siberia 350. Maybe you have some other suggestions for me...

But because the most people say, Headphones and mic is better than a headset, i thought about buying the DT990. But because it is important to me, to have 7.1 Surround sound, i´m not sure what to do.

• 7 months later...
On 8-10-2017 at 8:10 PM, SeanAngelo said:

its not natural 7.1 surround sound, idk if its called natural surround sound but quote me if im wrong. like what @Minibois said, it's simulated. trust me, surround sound on stereo headphones aren't good at all. you're just wasting your money on some decent headphones just to simulate 7.1 on it. that's like me spending $5k on a rig just to play minecraft. if you want 7.1, just get HyperX Cloud II's.

the 7.1 on the hyperX Cloud II is also simulated...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2017 at 1:54 PM, SeanAngelo said:

7.1 surround is garbage. stereo is the way to go for gaming and music. and if you're gonna do 7.1 on the DT990's by software, i'm guessing its gonna be trash since its a stereo headphone.

apart from that, your list ticks all of the DT990.

I just came across this thread somehow. I know it’s 3 years old but there is some misinformation here. Your Hyperx cloud headphones aren’t crap compared to a studio headphone from Beyerdynamics, audio Technica, or sennheiser. Nor are they “surround” headphones. Surround is done either by hardware or software but has nothing to do the headphones themselves. Mainly because you have two ears and headphones have 2 drivers(with some exceptions). 
Windows sonic, Dolby atmos or hardware surround on dt990s will blow away every gaming headset on the market simply because they’re open back meaning the soundstage is much larger than on any hyper x headphone. 

Now don’t get me wrong audio is extremely subjective and hyper x makes great headphones, but in terms surround sound quality any pair of open back headphones is going to fare far better than hyper x’s

I think you just got caught up in the 7.1 surround marketing garbage. They’re all stereo headphones with either hardware or software simulated surround. Also from experience. Hyper x cloud IIs sound like shit. 

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

pc headset history:

hyperx cloud

logitech 933

audio technica m50x w/modmic

shp-9500 w/vmoda mic

Beyer Dynamic dt990 250ohm w/wireless modmic

so far the BD dt990 is THE BEST for music and gaming. However I think the shp-9500 might be better for competitive play. The 9500's have less bass and although really crisp and detailed, its not as fun to listen to. The dt990's do get warm after a couple of hours, while the 9500's do not. 9/10 would recommend. Running Schitt dac and JDS Atom amp

30 minutes ago, Morphes said:

so far the BD dt990 is THE BEST for music and gaming. However I think the shp-9500 might be better for competitive play. The 9500's have less bass and although really crisp and detailed, its not as fun to listen to. 

Why you pick up the 880 instead of the 990.  It's the same imaging and soundstage performance but more neutral 

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Why you pick up the 880 instead of the 990.  It's the same imaging and soundstage performance but more neutral 

I used the dt990's, I don't like closed back headphones. 

33 minutes ago, Morphes said:

I used the dt990's, I don't like closed back headphones. 

the 880s are open backs I also own the 990 but if you need the something flatter I was just saying the 880 would be the answer to that need

Oh you are right, I was thinking of the 770s. Personally I don't like a flat curve, its just boring IMO. But honestly I got a killer deal, it was like $60 shipped for a pair with some brainwavez pads too. But super happy with them and don't plan on changing any time soon for my gaming setup anyway.

Your sentence structure is confusing. Maybe try using more punctuation friend 🙂

Your sentence

"Why you pick up the 880 instead of the 990."

which means 'Why did you choose the dt880s instead of the dt990s?"

What I think you meant was " Why did you pick the dt990's over the dt880s?"

Just a heads up if you want to be understood a little better. 🙂

4 hours ago, Morphes said:

Oh you are right, I was thinking of the 770s. Personally I don't like a flat curve, its just boring IMO. But honestly I got a killer deal, it was like $60 shipped for a pair with some brainwavez pads too. But super happy with them and don't plan on changing any time soon for my gaming setup anyway.

Your sentence structure is confusing. Maybe try using more punctuation friend 🙂

Your sentence

"Why you pick up the 880 instead of the 990."

which means 'Why did you choose the dt880s instead of the dt990s?"

What I think you meant was " Why did you pick the dt990's over the dt880s?"

Just a heads up if you want to be understood a little better. 🙂

Sorry, yeah I'm well aware of my carelessness and absolute flawed sentence structure in my posts. I'm on mobile so if it's not highlighted as a mistake, I ignore it.