How to reinstall Windows 10 if I upgraded from Windows 7 for free?

Hi All

I am about to buy an SSD and use it as my boot drive but I am unsure how to reinstall my version of windows 10.

I has windows 7 previously and when Microsoft let me upgrade to windows 10 for free (back when it came out) I went for it.

Now I would like to do a reinstall but I do not know if I must use my old product key. If I can't what should I do?

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

As far as I know it won't work. Maybe try cloning your current drive, swap it out for the SSD, set the it as the main boot drive in the BIOS and it should work...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

But I think re-installing is pretty much impossible...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

4 minutes ago, darth_626 said:

Hi All

I am about to buy an SSD and use it as my boot drive but I am unsure how to reinstall my version of windows 10.

I has windows 7 previously and when Microsoft let me upgrade to windows 10 for free (back when it came out) I went for it.

Now I would like to do a reinstall but I do not know if I must use my old product key. If I can't what should I do?

If you're switching just the hard drive you wont need anything, win10 is activated by your hardware, I mean.. it's unlocked with the serial number of the motherboard or something like that.. so you can just install new win10 and it will automatically activate

It should activate online automatically (you skip activation if it asks for the key during install, automatic activation happens later), but if it doesn't you can enter the windows 7 licence key when it asks for it.

So skip activation when installing and activate windows later if it asks to do so.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a?auth=1

43 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

As far as I know it won't work. Maybe try cloning your current drive, swap it out for the SSD, set the it as the main boot drive in the BIOS and it should work...

It does work ,the guys above have it right

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just reinstall it and it shouldn't ask for your license key anymore, because the Windows 10 key (even when upgraded from 7) is linked to your motherboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, darth_626 said:

Hi All

If you sign in using a Microsoft account then its easy. The key and activation are now stored on MS servers. All you need to do is log in with the same Microsoft account after you reinstall. I know this works because Ive done it multiple times. My upgrade install borked, and I had to reinstall Windows after school let out for the semester. It was quite easy. I was impressed with how easy it was, the only good quality of Windows 10, its easy to install. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.