why so many atx motherboards?

I just checked anus new motherboard line up for z370 on their site. There are like 50 standard ATX boards, one mITX board, and NOT A SINGLE mATX board. :( Why in the hell are ATX boards getting so much TLC? While the smaller form factor users always get treated like second class citizens??? Especially mATX users? Is there even still not a decent mATX board for Ryzen out there for example?

I don't see why ATX is so popular, especially now that it doesn't make any sense to have any more to use more than one GPU due to lack of support for multiple GPU setup, and the fact that modern games don't make much of a difference whether you use a 1080ti for example in SLI or not... You still get about the same performance, so why do you need like 6 PCIe slots to begin with?

When do you think we can expect to see a mATX z370 board from Asus? Will there be one at all?

I didn't realize anus made motherboards, is that the customer service division for Asus?

ATX is still the most popular form factor, I'm sure in a few weeks we'll see more small form factor boards :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

oh I get, it damn spell checker xD maybe an apt name though if I don't see an mATX board from them soon, haha.

ATX is still the most common and practical form factor, so most boards are ATX because why would you make a board that only a few people are going to buy? 

SLI still makes a pretty big difference and support is still very much there. More than 2 way is pretty much gone now, but 2 way still makes sense for 4K and 1440p 144Hz. Also, GPUs aren't the only things that use PCIe slots. 

IMO, mATX is kind of a useless form factor. It's not that much smaller than ATX, so really small cases aren't a thing for mATX and you lose a load of potential expansion that's available on ATX. I'd ideally like to see mATX fade out and it become mainly ATX and mITX. As far as I can see, mATX is in a weird middle ground that inherits the drawbacks of both form factors. 

mATX is a pointless and dying form factor.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

weird middle ground that inherits the drawbacks of both form factors. 

It doesn't seem to have the drawbacks of the mITX boards as I can get all the features I want on a mATX board as who the hell needs 4 full slots anymore, SLI and Xfire only support two now anyway and prior to this and more than 2 way generally sucked

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Simple, it's the most popular size. Considering all we have is the Z line up, there should be tons of other motherboards coming out in Q1. I'm currently waiting on the B or H series, most likely B if there's one that offers decent memory speeds.

The CPU's launched yesterday. It's kind of foolish to think the whole line of motherboards would be ready ;)

I do feel your pain though.

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

-snip-

IMO, mATX is kind of a useless form factor. It's not that much smaller than ATX, so really small cases aren't a thing for mATX and you lose a load of potential expansion that's available on ATX. I'd ideally like to see mATX fade out and it become mainly ATX and mITX. As far as I can see, mATX is in a weird middle ground that inherits the drawbacks of both form factors. 

There are quite a few cases that are very compact, and fit mATX boards. For example the Bullet line from Caselabs. The mATX case isn't much bigger than the ITX case, but is loooads smaller than the ATX case. You also get an extra expansion slot, which is always nice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It doesn't seem to have the drawbacks of the mITX boards as I can get all the features I want on a mATX board as who the hell needs 4 full slots anymore, SLI and Xfire only support two now anyway and prior to this and more than 2 way generally sucked

1. Video card
  2. Video card
  3. Sound card
  4. Network card

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

Why in the hell are ATX boards getting so much TLC??

Because there's so many more ATX form factor cases than there are mATX cases...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, dizmo said:
  1. Video card
  2. Video card
  3. Sound card
  4. Network card

A sound card and network card do not take an 8x or 16x slot, you can get matx boards that would allow for it though who the hell needs a sound card nowadays anyway its not like in the past where the on board audio was generally trash.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Because there's so many more ATX form factor cases than there are mATX cases...

Exactly my point. Where are the mATX cases???

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

A sound card and network card do not take an 8x or 16x slot, you can get matx boards that would allow for it though who the hell needs a sound card nowadays anyway its not like in the past where the on board audio was generally trash.

Agreed. Also you can get a DAC if you think mobo audio is so bad. (which it is not).

The real reason is simple.  They don't build many of them, because they can't sell many of them.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I get that, I just don't get why everyone think they need full ATX, when I'm pretty sure mot people don't even take full advantage of it...

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

IMO, mATX is kind of a useless form factor. It's not that much smaller than ATX, so really small cases aren't a thing for mATX

Inwin 301 disagrees with you.

Although my new case project is about the same size and fits a full-ATX mobo, so yeah.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Sound card

pretty much useless

My life

4 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

I get that, I just don't get why everyone think they need full ATX, when I'm pretty sure mot people don't even take full advantage of it...

It's funny the last 3 computers me or my friends built ended up getting mATX boards/cases granted this wasn't for Kaby or Coffee lake but still I think mATX is often a better buy so long as you dont have a niche use case and need space as a result.

30 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

NOT A SINGLE mATX board

Image result for ROG z370g

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

oh... but how long until we get to see it though? a month? six months? who knows...

8 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Inwin 301 disagrees with you.

Although my new case project is about the same size and fits a full-ATX mobo, so yeah.

It's certainly smaller, but I personally don't see the benefit of that. I haven't come across a situation where the difference in size between a "small" ATX case and a "small" mATX case has been a must have or have any big benefit to me. I have come across situations where mITX has big benefits as it can be tiny and it's very easy to move around, even with one hand or in a backpack in some cases. 

All subjective of course, but that's kind of the point of this thread. 

14 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Would it fit between two graphics cards on an mATX board? I always thought there was inadequate room.

Eh, some people prefer them. It was simply making a point. Could easily replace that with capture card, RAID card, etc.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

pretty much useless

Debatable. I actually prefer the sound from my Xonar vs the sound from the Realtek onboard set up.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Debatable. I actually prefer the sound from my Xonar vs the sound from the Realtek onboard set up.

I mean like there's no real situation where a soundcard is useful because external dacs/amps are better

My life

Hey, mITX users also have like ONE high end mobo to choose from, from the different manufacturers.

Just now, Himommies said:

I mean like there's no real situation where a soundcard is useful because external dacs/amps are better

Well yeah, there's always higher end gear like that. I'd prefer not to have the clutter. Plus they're generally a lot more expensive.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, PCMasterGuy said:

Hey, mITX users also have like ONE high end mobo to choose from, from the different manufacturers.

On a platform that's been out for a day? You don't say :P

There's also 2 from ASRock.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler