Does delidding give good temperature decreases?

dizmo

To those of you that have delidded your CPU, did you see decent temperature drops? Most interested for those that use air coolers, the smaller or cheaper the better. 

I'd be using the best compound available, but does it give the same drop to all chips, or is it a gamble just like the silicon lottery? 

Basically, I'm wanting to use a 7700k or 8600k in an upcoming build. It's a super compact case, so thermals are an issue. Cooler will be a Noctua NH-L9x65. Just seeing if delidding might be a solution, or if a locked chip is in my future. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yes, (on air- be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2)

Also, the after delid ambient temperature was higher by about 2-4*C.

This was in July, and I get the exact same temperatures now, no change at all, it is holding up really well (used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut)

BeforeDelid.PNG.57134a622ec58db1e0a0e62ec19ef996.PNGAfterDelid.PNG.d8c9c924e77bca294fc1f2420bbf4f8f.PNG

went from 72C load temps to 56C-64C load temps, so there is around 10C diferance core to core now, but its cooler overall

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

yes it will have a significant improvement unless ur cpu cooler has reached its peak already without delidding ( such as using an intel stock cooler like linus did coz he dont want ppl to know delidding actually improves temps alot... he knew if he use a stock intel cooler it wouldnt make a crap difference xD )

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Basically, I'm wanting to use a 7700k or 8600k in an upcoming build. It's a super compact case, so thermals are an issue. Cooler will be a Noctua NH-L9x65. Just seeing if delidding might be a solution, or if a locked chip is in my future. 

Beware that your ability to vent the case coudl be the limiting factor. Even if your 'thermal resistance' from the chip to the air is low you need to vent every Watt of power you put into the chip so keep that in mind. (similar to radiator problem)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Yup.  A drop of 15 - 20 degrees is seen on a regular basis.  Don't expect to get anymore overclocking headroom out of it though.  It's pretty damn nice seeing your CPU temps hovering around your GPU temps though (I'm on water).

2 minutes ago, Fixall said:

Yup.  A drop of 15 - 20 degrees is seen on a regular basis.  Don't expect to get anymore overclocking headroom out of it though.  It's pretty damn nice seeing your CPU temps hovering around your GPU temps though (I'm on water).

im sadly only temp limited but i dont have a delidding tool ( fk the razorblade )  tried it on a vice but the fker wouldnt pop off ( smashed it quite hard and several attempts haha xD i think my cpu die is GLUED hahaha )

i put it in the vice, wooden block and hammered it fking hard but it wouldnt even budge, i think my cpu once got RMA'd and the user who sent it back used friggen superglue :( haha

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

im sadly only temp limited but i dont have a delidding tool ( fk the razorblade )  tried it on a vice but the fker wouldnt pop off ( smashed it quite hard and several attempts haha xD i think my cpu die is GLUED hahaha )

i put it in the vice, wooden block and hammered it fking hard but it wouldnt even budge, i think my cpu once got RMA'd and the user who sent it back used friggen superglue :( haha

Which gen do you have? 
You should check for other users experience before delidding (obviously). Example: Threadripper ... hard to delid, not worth it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Which gen do you have? 
You should check for other users experience before delidding (obviously). Example: Threadripper ... hard to delid, not worth it.

haswell lmao

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, (on air- be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2)

Also, the after delid ambient temperature was higher by about 2-4*C.

This was in July, and I get the exact same temperatures now, no change at all, it is holding up really well (used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut)

BeforeDelid.PNG.57134a622ec58db1e0a0e62ec19ef996.PNGAfterDelid.PNG.d8c9c924e77bca294fc1f2420bbf4f8f.PNG

What are the 4 temperatures for? Different runs? I've never ran a stress test before. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

went from 72C load temps to 56C-64C load temps, so there is around 10C diferance core to core now, but its cooler overall

What cooling do you use? 

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Beware that your ability to vent the case coudl be the limiting factor. Even if your 'thermal resistance' from the chip to the air is low you need to vent every Watt of power you put into the chip so keep that in mind. (similar to radiator problem)

Yeah I was thinking of that too. Shouldn't be too bad though, it's a small case and Temps were shown to be decent. 

3 minutes ago, Fixall said:

Yeah, I'm not too worried about overclocking. Moreso hoping to lower the Temps while keeping decent performance. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

What are the 4 temperatures for? Different runs? I've never ran a stress test before. 

That's for each core

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

haswell lmao

Did you try to heat it up gently before removal?

3.Use

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Did you try to heat it up gently before removal?

yeh didnt work rofl

this is the only chip i cant delid also, delidded other chips just fine... i tihnk i got the luck of having a superglued one xD

tbh my friend was laughing at my trying to delid that one chip bcoz all the other ones just pop and fixed and i got pissed off at this chip just smashed it fking hard and it still didnt do shit xD my friend died from laughter and im like WTF FK THIS CHIP BANGH BANG BANG xD

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What cooling do you use? 

custom waterloop, but those are the overclocked to 5GHz 1.375V results for my I7 4790K. the waterblock is a EKWB Supremacy EVO which im not especially happy with and i have a 360 and 240 rad and a GPU block

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There are two separate gains to be got from delidding. Part is from reducing the IHS spacing, part is from upgraded thermal compound. For the 1st part it depends on how good or bad it was before the delid, and how much load was on the CPU, as more power = more gains. Replacing with another higher quality compound at same time, I've seen drops in ball park of 5C. To get the bigger gains you're looking at liquid metal not conventional pastes. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I used liquid Tim and thermal grizzly, 7700K and temps dropped 10-15c, most get from 8c up drops but some people have had hardley any differences, I will say that I'm useing a AIO not air cooler. I wouldn't do it for the 8700K until I have used it and tested it for a while. 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

Usually it helps a lot.

But then again it depends on your current temps. If you have i7 7700k that is already running at 90°C at stock, it should sure drop down to 70°C.

I'm still waiting for people to buy i7 8700k, to see how bad are thermal problems with it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB