Google Announces the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL

DocSwag

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11899/hands-on-with-googles-pixel-2-xl

Note: I already know some of you are gonna say this is a repost. I don't think it is, as the megathread already out there is a megathread, not a post about the announcement about the pixel 2 and pixel 2 XL.

This morning at a press event in San Francisco, Google held the second of what has now become an annual hardware event for the company, their Made by Google event. As with last year’s show, this year’s presentation showcased a mix of different devices and accessories from Google. However the most anticipated device for enthusiasts across the spectrum was without a doubt the next Google Pixel phones, which as expected made their introduction today as the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL.

Last year’s introduction of the Pixel phone family was a significant departure from tradition for Google. The company retired the Nexus lineup of aggressively priced mid-range/high-end phones in favor of what is best called Google’s take on what a flagship Android phone should be. The Pixels had cutting-edge specifications and features; they also had a flagship price. Depending on who you ask and what statistics you use, it can be argued just how much of the Android handset market that the Pixel phones actually captured – a situation not helped by the Pixel phones being so hard to get for a while – however what can’t be argued is that it had a definite impact on the expectations of the Android phone market.

Google Pixel Phones (2017)
  Google Pixel 2 Google Pixel 2 XL Google Pixel Google Pixel XL
SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 835

4x Kryo 280 Performance @ 2.35GHz
4x Kryo 280 Efficiency @ 1.90GHz
Adreno 540
Qualcomm Snapdragon 821

2x Kryo @ 2.15GHz
2x Kryo @ 1.59GHz
Adreno 530 @ 624MHz
Display 5.0-inch 1920x1080 AMOLED
95% DCI-P3
6.0-inch 2880x1440 pOLED
100% DCI-P3
5.0-inch 1920x1080 AMOLED 5.5-inch 2560x1440 AMOLED
Dimensions 145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8 mm, 143g 157.9 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm, 175g 143.8 x 69.5 x 7.3-8.5 mm 154.7 x 75.7 x 7.3-8.5 mm
RAM 4GB LPDDR4x 4GB LPDDR4
NAND 64GB / 128GB (UFS 2.0?) 32GB / 128GB (UFS 2.0)
Battery 2700 mAh
non-replaceable
3520 mAh
non-replaceable
2770 mAh
non-replaceable
3450 mAh (13.28 Wh)
non-replaceable
Front Camera 8MP, 1.4µm pixels, f/2.4 8MP, 1/3.2" Sony IMX179 Exmor R, 1.4µm pixels, f/2.4
Rear Camera 12.2MP, 1.4µm pixels, f/1.8, PDAF + Laser AF, HDR+, dual LED flash, OIS 12.3MP, 1/2.3" Sony IMX378 Exmor RS, 1.55µm pixels, f/2.0, PDAF + Laser AF, HDR+, dual LED flash
Modem Qualcomm X16 LTE (Integrated)
2G / 3G / 4G LTE (Category 16/13)
Qualcomm X12 LTE (Integrated)
2G / 3G / 4G LTE (Category 12)
SIM Size NanoSIM + eSIM NanoSIM
Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MU-MIMO, BT 5.0, NFC, GPS/GNSS 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MU-MIMO, BT 4.2, NFC, GPS/GNSS
Connectivity USB 3.0 Type-C USB 3.0 Type-C, 3.5mm headset
Launch OS Android 8.0 Android 7.1
Launch Price $649 / $749
64GB / 128GB
$849 / $949
64GB / 128GB
$649 / $749
32GB / 128GB
$769 / $869
32GB / 128GB

Under the hood, you’ll find all the bells and whistles you’d come to expect from a flagship smartphone in 2017. Google is using Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 SoC, which is paired with 4GB of LPDDR4x RAM. As with the first-generation Pixel phones, outside of screen resolution and battery size, both phones share the same internals; so we’re looking at the same storage, RAM, SoC, camera modules, etc. In other words, the Pixel 2 XL really is a larger version of the Pixel 2, rather than a technically superior version.

p2xl_p2.jpg

That said, even within the limited confines of display and battery size changes, the phones do stand apart. The Pixel 2 retains its predecessor’s 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display. I didn’t get hands-on time with this phone, but I expect that it will have the same Pentile arrangement as its predecessor as well. Meanwhile the Pixel 2 XL gets a new, larger screen; instead of a 5.5-inch 1440p AMOLED, it’s now rocking a 6-inch 2880x1440 pOLED (Plastic OLED) display. Google is not discussing who is providing the pOLED display, but given LG’s recent actions in this space, I suspect they are the supplier. Regardless, the pOLED display does end up being a bit better than the Pixel 2’s display, offering 100% DCI-P3 coverage rather than 95%.

Meanwhile new to the Pixel phone family, both phones now have always-on screens courtesy of their OLED displays. Google calls both of the OLED displays vivid, and that’s certainly the case for the Pixel 2 XL I got to spend some time with. Android’s color space management limitations are well-known, and I am eager to see if Google has done something to improve the situation on their own phones.

On the literal flipside of the cameras is the Pixel 2 family’s 12.2MP camera. In terms of resolution this is very similar to last year’s phones, but this is clearly a new sensor. The pixel size is smaller, at 1.4um versus 1.55um, and the aperture is now f/1.8. Perhaps the single biggest technical change here is that after not including Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) in last year’s phones, the Pixel 2s now get OIS, and OIS can be used alongside EIS, which Google calls Fused Video Stabilization.

In terms of overall quality, one of the big focal points of the original Pixel phones was to have the highest quality smartphone camera on the market. And while the Pixel has since been surpassed, Google is continuing to pursue that direction with the Pixel 2. While DxOMark is not the sole arbitrator of camera quality, the record-setting score of 98 means that the Pixel 2 phones should be very competitive in the market, and that the Pixel 2 will be worth keeping an eye on.

Moving on, in terms of build quality, Google has taken a step up with the Pixel 2 phones. Both phones are now IP67 water and dust resistant, the latter in particular being a major improvement over the original Pixel’s much more limited IP53 resistance. Google’s one of the last flagship vendors to add this level of water resistance, but none the less it’s a welcome development.

Speaking of Google assistant, unsurprisingly, software is a big part of Google’s pitch with the Pixel 2 family. In fact the company was rather candid in their keynote that with the gradual slowing of Moore’s Law and general hardware development, they can’t release a radically different phone every single year. As a result the company has embarked on what they’re calling a Hardware + Software + AI focus for their products. This embodies the above hardware, numerous features offered by Google Assistant – including a suite of features coming over from or integrating with Google Home – and then the rest of the pure Android 8.0 Oreo software stack. Pixel users will also be getting a preview release of Google's Lens functionality later this year. Broadly speaking, Google is following a similar trend as other handset manufactures, moving from competing just on specifications to making a complete ecosystem/lifestyle play.

Otherwise, despite an overall strong hardware configuration, hardware enthusiasts will likely come away disappointed with one thing: the loss of the 3.5mm audio jack. Google has removed the audio jack for the Pixel 2, similar to so many other phones in the last year. Instead users will need to use an adapter, USB-C headphones, or Bluetooth headphones. No doubt removing the jack helps with that IP67 waterproofing, but officially Google hasn’t said why the jack has been removed.

Rounding out the experience, like the original Pixel, Verizon is once again Google’s exclusive carrier launch partner in the US, meaning they are the only carrier selling the phone. However as this is a global launch, Google is actually selling both Verizon and unlocked versions of the phones. So buyers will have the option of going to other carriers, with a bit more effort.

Finally, the Pixel 2 phones will begin shipping on October 17th, with pre-orders starting immediately. The Pixel 2 is being priced at $649 for a 64GB model, while the Pixel 2 XL will go for $849 for the same capacity. For another $100, both phones can be upgraded to 128GB of storage.

The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL come as very interesting phones. Last year's Pixel and Pixel XL received what I would say was a pretty good response, though there were many small things that could've been improved. These included the speaker, water resistance, build quality (somewhat), lack of microSD card slot, and whatnot. This year's Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL seem to have fixed many of these things, with the newer model adding newer hardware as well stereo front facing speakers, water resistance, and for the Pixel 2 XL a taller display.

Which leads us to one of the main changes, the display. On the Pixel 2 we actually get something somewhat similar to last year, but on the Pixel 2 we get an 18:9 display following the trend of taller displays this year. TBH, I think the Pixel 2 XL is really the phone to look for because of the display.

However, one thing that may disappoint many people is the removal of the headphone jack. With Google basically making fun of Apple last year about the headphone jack turning around and getting rid of it seems a bit hypocritical, really. For me at least this isn't a dealbreaker but for some it might be.

The Pixel 2 comes in at $649 but the Pixel 2 XL comes in at a much higher $849, which is interesting to see. Normally the difference between the two models is $100 but this time it's a whole $200. Thoughts?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

instead of a 5.5-inch 1440p AMOLED, it’s now rocking a 6-inch 2880x1440 pOLED (Plastic OLED) display. Google is not discussing who is providing the pOLED display, but given LG’s recent actions in this space, I suspect they are the supplier. Regardless, the pOLED display does end up being a bit better than the Pixel 2’s display, offering 100% DCI-P3 coverage rather than 95%.

I'm curious to see if there any gains/losses outside of larger DCI-P3 coverage such as power draw relative to AMOLED displays at the same nit and potential durability. Also how this compares to Samsung's displays found in the Note 8 and iPhone X.

I don't think I need to upgrade until VoLTE becomes the standard. All these phones feels like a sidegrade for a 6P owner...well at least I feel that way.  

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I'm curious to see if there any gains/losses outside of larger DCI-P3 coverage such as power draw relative to AMOLED displays at the same nit and potential durability. Also how this compares to Samsung's displays found in the Note 8 and iPhone X.

I just hope google does better calibration of their displays this time. The pixel display wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as stuff from Samsung and Apple.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

I don't think I need to upgrade until VoLTE becomes the standard. All these phones feels like a sidegrade for a 6P owner...well at least I feel that way.  

What carrier are you using with it? At some point for certain carriers, the Nexus 5x/6p received an update to enable it.

$850 for a Pixel 2 XL or $850 for an iPhone 8 Plus.......

From a pure hardware perspective I have to give the win to the iPhone. Doesn't have as great of a screen but it's still more impressive than the Pixel 2 is. 

Unless you have to have Android I can't see how you could justify the Pixel 2. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, tjcater said:

What carrier are you using with it? At some point for certain carriers, the Nexus 5x/6p received an update to enable it.

I wasn't saying that 6P doesn't support it. I have HD Voice enabled with Verizon. 2019 is the year there will be a complete switch to VoLTE, 6P lacks some of the newer bands for VoLTE, and no 5G bands.

So I'm guessing 2019 will be a good year for me to upgrade.  

It looks just ugly. Specially in 2017 trends with those massive top and bottom bezels and the side ones are considerable too.

If it's a performer it could be worth it but for as much as they want for it might as well get something really nice looking and not just the galaxy 8 or Iphone x but also the Mi mix 2 for example.

Image result for mi mix 2

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

$850 for a Pixel 2 XL or $850 for an iPhone 8 Plus.......

From a pure hardware perspective I have to give the win to the iPhone. Doesn't have as great of a screen but it's still more impressive than the Pixel 2 is. 

Unless you have to have Android I can't see how you could justify the Pixel 2. 

Looks like the 2XL is positioning itself inbetween the 8 Plus and X. At $950, you can either get 128gb 2XL or a 256gb 8 Plus. Or spend the extra $50 for an X.

Front facing speakers, something about 3 microphones, 5 inches, good camera, latest Android and no overly flashy Samsung garbage skin burning my eyes. Perfect phone for me :) Will definitely be getting.

About what I expected. Can't help but think it looks a bit cheap, but maybe it feels better in hand. Cameras are again outstanding, that video stabilization is something else. That price is a bit up there though, considering it's competition offers more. Couldn't even make it IP68? It's also quite large for an 18:9 phone. 

41 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Glad to know people are paying a mortgage payment for an overrated cell phone.

If that's a mortgage payment, and buying a phone at this price point affects you that greatly, you're overspending on your housing.  

32 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Pay out the wazoo to lose your headphone jack

Genius

Not everyone needs it ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

About what I expected. Can't help but think it looks a bit cheap, but maybe it feels better in hand. Cameras are again outstanding, that video stabilization is something else. That price is a bit up there though, considering it's competition offers more. Couldn't even make it IP68? It's also quite large for an 18:9 phone. 

If that's a mortgage payment, and buying a phone at this price point affects you that greatly, you're overspending on your housing.  

Not everyone needs it ;)

No. Because housing prices are all relative. But I mean, you can continue to defend these outrageous prices, whatever makes you feel better. Enjoy your new Pixel 2!

29 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

No. Because housing prices are all relative. But I mean, you can continue to defend these outrageous prices, whatever makes you feel better. Enjoy your new Pixel 2!

Not that I will buy the Pixel or iPhone, but they aren't 'just cellphones' anymore. That's a massive disservice to the tool we all use for many daily things, smartphones have become important in daily use for sure. 

2 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Not that I will buy the Pixel or iPhone, but they aren't 'just cellphones' anymore. That's a massive disservice to the tool we all use for many daily things, smartphones have become important in daily use for sure. 

My LE S3 was $139 and has a SD 652 and is exactly that.. more than just a cell phone. And it's absolutely fine, except for its shitty camera.

Absolutely no reason to pay over $800 for a phone, but I mean, it's your money u can do w/e you want

Just now, JohnMiller92 said:

My LE S3 is $139 and has a SD 652 and is exactly that.. more than just a cell phone. And it's absolutely fine, except for its shitty camera.

Absolutely no reason to pay over $800 for a phone, but I mean, it's your money u can do w/e you want

Well my Z Play too, less than half the price for what you pay for the Pixel or iPhone. 

I'm just saying 'they are just cellphones' is not correct anymore, we use them for everything and for a lot. 

37 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Relative to...what? That statement doesn't make much sense. If you're paying $1,200/month on a mortgage you should be able to afford $850/year for a new phone. Housing should be around 30% of your income at most. You're just bitter about the cost, but clearly sales show you're opinion is in the minority. 

36 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I do. Many do. 

Clearly not enough to make it affect sales in a negative way. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Relative to...what? That statement doesn't make much sense. If you're paying $1,200/month on a mortgage you should be able to afford $850/year for a new phone. Housing should be around 30% of your income at most. You're just bitter about the cost, but clearly sales show you're opinion is in the minority. 

Clearly not enough to make affect sales in a negative way. 

LOL WHAT

If you're paying $1,200 /m for mortage, one would assume you cannot afford a $850 phone upfront.

Who the hell said per year? You just interjected that. I'm talking about money up front, cash. I never said anything remotely to payment plans, that's entirely different

I don't see anyone really needing the latest and greatest phones. Anyone above 25 here who can legitimately argue why they need the latest and greatest in phone technology?

I just see kids making the most ridiculous claims, when real professionals are walking around with iPhone 6s company phones with no complaints. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I think the main point to look at is the fact that young people would rather have a $1000 iPhone than property. 

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it. $1,200/month for mortgage really isn't much. $1000 just for a 256GB iPhone 8 Plus is way too much money for a phone if you are actually paying for it...

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

8 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

LOL WHAT

If you're paying $1,200 /m for mortage, one would assume you cannot afford a $850 phone upfront.

Who the hell said per year? You just interjected that. I'm talking about money up front, cash. I never said anything remotely to payment plans, that's entirely different

I didn't say anything about payment plans either. 

You're kidding right? I was paying $1,200 in rent and I still bought a new phone every year. If you have a $1,200/m mortgage you're making roughly $50k+ a year. Not to mention all of my friends with mortgages of that or more still buy a new phone every year. 

I can only assume you're not old enough to offer comprehend mortgages and finances. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I didn't say anything about payment plans either. 

You're kidding right? I was paying $1,200 in rent and I still bought a new phone every year. If you have a $1,200/m mortgage you're making roughly $50k+ a year. Not to mention all of my friends with mortgages of that or more still buy a new phone every year. 

I can only assume you're not old enough to offer comprehend mortgages and finances. 

Yes you did

in your post you said $850/year

/ = per year = assuming some payment plan is setup per month, 850/12 = monthly cost of phone

2 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I think the main point to look at is the fact that young people would rather have a $1000 iPhone than property. 

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it. $1,200/month for mortgage really isn't much. $1000 just for a 256GB iPhone 8 Plus is way too much money for a phone if you are actually paying for it...

Not really. If it's something you enjoy and use, then it's well worth the cost. Cost is a relative. What's worth it to some isn't worth it to others. All of my friends have both. So. There's that. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, JohnMiller92 said:

Yes you did

in your post you said $850/year

/ = per year = assuming some payment plan is setup per month, 850/12 = per month

Yes. As in spending $850 once a year. You shouldn't assume. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Yes. As in spending $850 once a year. You shouldn't assume. 

That's not what I'm saying though, I'm saying paying $850 UPFRONT to get the phone (with cash). I never mentioned payment plans you did.