General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

Installed my 1Tb M.2 SATA III SSD and removed my 2.5" SSD and 1TB HDD along with SATA power lead. Much cleaner look, and after moving my boot drive from the Marvell SATA III to the Intel SATA I boot time is only 36 seconds including post.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I might follow the herd with an M2... or maybe I should... Still... first  is checking out this board... I have it for about 2 weeks now.... Still not sure about this being a good buy or not.... The cooling capacities are great ( 10 degrees c difference on the board ) but other then that it has been quite the bumpy ride so far... The cpu reacts very differently sometimes when compared to the older board... Ratio for instance.. on the p6t it was always 22 or even 23 but on this board it decides to stay on 20 ( when on auto ) …. The auto settings and oc procedures liked if they worked better to on the p6t board but that's more of a feeling.... Maybe the cpu needs some time to adjust too? I mean I sometimes have another distinct feeling that it misses sometimes functions... weird stuff like for example when steam thinks your installed game is starting up for the first time again …. or OC settings that actually start to function 2 boots later.... That ofcourse might have something to do with its age.. or pre me use... but then if I set it on 4 ghz its all new and shiney look at me type of cpu …...   

Any of you OC bois wanna help this guy out? I pretty much muck through my own BIOS and change random stuff so I'm not much help when it comes to explaining how to actually OC these Xeons, lol. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Any of you OC bois wanna help this guy out? I pretty much muck through my own BIOS and change random stuff so I'm not much help when it comes to explaining how to actually OC these Xeons, lol. 

on it!

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I don't even understand why you need help from the bois…. Weird gaming terminology that seems to aim at the orcs in the scene ;) 

Anyway two OC results... though.. true experts would laugh at my choice of words here ? 
btw … with those W's … damn! I've seen such high scores on userbenchmarks from a couple of guys wielding there W's like its a 2020 processor... scores over the 100% etc with older hardware .. 970's for instance
the 1050Ti from rog strix I have is easily clocked to over the 100% 108% so far has been my best but with the 1060 .. I believe this is its best score so far... 

1. Blck 200 ratio 18 top speed : 3,6 ghz 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12924348 

2. Bclk 200 ratio 22 top speed : 4,4 ghz  

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1292452

Both runs were with mem running at 1200 MHz 8-8-8-20 

So, I built my Xeon replacement. Its a Ryzen 7 overclocked to 3.9Ghz. A Vega 56 overclocked and undervolted. It absolutely slays the X5670 which was overclocked to 4.6Ghz in every benchmark I run. I will continue to mess with the xeon though. Wonder if I can link them into a render farm. 32 threads?

Anybody else able to help out our friend here?

I've already suggested X58 as a potential solution, given the low $500 budget.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

time for another stupid experiment using one of my binning rejects in my daily: How long until I see degradation/death by running 1.5V VTT/QPI + 1.475V Vcore?

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Hello, I was hoping someone could offer their advice on how much power I can safely pull through my GA-EX58-UD3R (rev1.0) not to be confused with the upgraded X58A-UD3R variant. Since it was the cheapest X58 motherboard at the time I assume the VRM design is rather weak. The board was never pushed hard but its very used, a very rough guesstimate would be around 14k hours powered on with an i7 920, a quarter of those hours at high loads.

I ebay'd a $24 X5670 and everything runs fine, since the board is so old I went with a soft offset overclock of 4GHz(167 x 24) uncore is at 3507. These settings produce a score of 940 in cinebench R15. At the current vcore offset it's showing 1.184vcore during prime95 small fft and hwinfo shows the maximum power at around 120w. Temps are under 70c, voltage is well under Intel's maximum but can this old board handle much more than this without going poof?

There isn't a VRM temperature sensor on this board but there is a north bridge sensor which reads around 50c during stress testing. Touching the VRM side of the heatsink doesn't feel much hotter than it does when I touch the north bridge heatsink but this is far from accurate....

TL;DR, I'm pulling 120w through a very used low end motherboard, can I safely push more or should I leave it be? I need to ride this out until 7nm drops.

@bleu While the VRM isn't exactly amazing on that board, it should still be alright. Check the top heatsink, not the one connected with the heatpipe to the NB; the NB is the part that gets really hot on those boards (taking off the blue covers and adding a fan helps a lot), at least it did on my board. While a cheap board its still pretty decent.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

@bleu a change of thermal pads on the VRM heatsink and thermal paste on NB will not do any harm. You might push you OC a bit higher to something like 4.2 or 4.4 if you need it, but a fan on top of the VRM and NB is requiered because they will get really hot. OC on the RAM will also help to speed it up.

I use P6T - probably the worst VRM out all X58 and it runs at 4.2 without any problems.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

9 hours ago, bleu said:

TL;DR, I'm pulling 120w through a very used low end motherboard, can I safely push more or should I leave it be? I need to ride this out until 7nm drops.

I was under the impression that all those old boards are accustomed too those kind of powerdraws. I read some graphs stating that almost all asus products from that time would use around 150watts idle… There's always the 8700... what i'm probably gonna do... i mean… 65w cpu 60w motherboard 80w gpu.. what more do you want ?? ;) 

5 hours ago, MaratM said:

@bleu a change of thermal pads on the VRM heatsink and thermal paste on NB will not do any harm. You might push you OC a bit higher to something like 4.2 or 4.4 if you need it, but a fan on top of the VRM and NB is requiered because they will get really hot. OC on the RAM will also help to speed it up.

I use P6T - probably the worst VRM out all X58 and it runs at 4.2 without any problems.

MSI x58 Pro is probably worse tbh. And those work just fine at 4.2 with a fan. 

11 hours ago, Ground said:

@bleu While the VRM isn't exactly amazing on that board, it should still be alright. Check the top heatsink, not the one connected with the heatpipe to the NB; the NB is the part that gets really hot on those boards (taking off the blue covers and adding a fan helps a lot), at least it did on my board. While a cheap board its still pretty decent.

That small heatsink on top is usually the coolest because it's right up against the top case fan.

8 hours ago, MaratM said:

The NB is only hitting 50c during hours of prime small or blend so I don't think that's a worthwhile investment. The ram was definitely running hot, hotter than anything else on the board but I think that was because on this budget board there's only four ram slots causing two of the sticks to sit really close to each other causing a heat pocket. Flipping the front top fan to intake fixed that problem.

6 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I was under the impression that all those old boards are accustomed too those kind of powerdraws. I read some graphs stating that almost all asus products from that time would use around 150watts idle… There's always the 8700... what i'm probably gonna do... i mean… 65w cpu 60w motherboard 80w gpu.. what more do you want ?? ;) 

the 120w figure I gave was from the reported CPU only power consumption during prime95 small fft in hwinfo. I do have a killawatt meter and the entire system uses around 101w idle, never checked load as I was just testing the differences between power saving settings such as c6/c1e/eist etc.

If I had a better board I would definitely push harder but I think I'll just stick with the current OC to stay on the safer side. Going for 4.2Ghz would get me what? 1000 points in cinebench R15? Would I notice the difference from my current 944 at 4GHz? Maybe.

It still feels bad to leave so much potential on the table. The i7 920 C0 that was pulled from this system was an absolute dumpster fire compared to this x5670 when it comes to silicon quality. Truly shocking difference between the lower binned 45nm to higher binned 32nm.

1 hour ago, TheSponyX said:

x58 SUCKS! Z68/77 all the way!

You chose a pretty bad place to come bash X58, mate.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

x58 SUCKS! Z68/77 all the way!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You chose a pretty bad place to come bash X58, mate.

^^^ That, and also you don't... really... have a reason for it sucking? I mean, Z370 is awesome (I have an 8600K on that platform), but that doesn't mean X58 isn't awesome at the same time. Z68/Z77 being your preferred chipsets doesn't make X58 bad. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

I mean, Z370 is awesome

I'm diving in the water tomorrow with the x470 stuff... somehow i feel comfortable enough to pair it with a ryzen 5 2600.. my first AMD system ever... will set my alarm tonight to be as early up as possible …. anyway back to X stuff 

4 hours ago, bleu said:

the 120w figure I gave was from the reported CPU only power consumption during prime95 small fft in hwinfo. I do have a killawatt meter and the entire system uses around 101w idle, never checked load as I was just testing the differences between power saving settings such as c6/c1e/eist etc

You would think that indicates a slight oc up until the 70 its alledgedly 95w tdp anything over stock value will rise quickly ( 90 being 130 tdp )… Those enhanced powerstates really elude my intelligence btw... if i understood it correctly mine are setup in a way that it adresses the whole cpu without demoting 

26 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I'm diving in the water tomorrow with the x470 stuff... somehow i feel comfortable enough to pair it with a ryzen 5 2600.. my first AMD system ever... will set my alarm tonight to be as early up as possible …. anyway back to X stuff 

Nice! I'll be finishing up my watercooling loop on my R7 2700X/CH7/Vega FE rig this weekend hopefully, it's an awesome platform. I've worked with the R5 1600 as well and it's a damn good CPU, the 2600 is even better. 

Main PC 

I feel excited about getting re-acquainted with state of the art technology… Pci 3 ddr 4 …. SENSMI … lol ;) Gigabit auorus ultra gaming board, 2 M.2's crucial mx 500 and a p1 both 500 gb's in a be quiet casing … daft black ofcourse with orange lining .. no window … go holland :D 

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Nice! I'll be finishing up my watercooling loop on my R7 2700X/CH7/Vega FE rig this weekend hopefully, it's an awesome platform. I've worked with the R5 1600 as well and it's a damn good CPU, the 2600 is even better. 

That sounds very expensive.. whats the CH7 ? 

2 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I feel excited about getting re-acquainted with state of the art technology… Pci 3 ddr 4 …. SENSMI … lol ;) Gigabit auorus ultra gaming board, 2 M.2's crucial mx 500 and a p1 both 500 gb's in a be quiet casing … daft black ofcourse with orange lining .. no window … go holland :D 

Like @kelvinhall05 said it's the Crosshair VII. Incredibly overkill for anything I'm doing, but I don't want to buy another Mobo for a bit (unless it's a sidegrade to mITX on my intel rig, but I'll sell my current mobo then), so I got it. Should last me a good few years and if they up the core count on Zen 2 the VRMs will be able to handle it fine. AMD's promised support for AM4 till 2020, and I'm hoping they don't force a chipset change either (like how Intel has Z170, Z270, and Z370 all on the same socket), that way I can upgrade to a top end chip in 2020 and keep that for a good few years. If it behaves anything like X58 it should be a damn good platform long term. 

Main PC 

50 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

ah yea i eyed those too…. Rog Strix is currently above my paygrade ~.^ I feel a lot safer knowing that one step in o.c. land won't cost me a hundred bucks extra on the end of the month… I'm probably staying away from ocing outside what the system does automatically for the first coming months… 

Another question... 

Last month i found, for the first time btw, the extra xeon protection mode where it protects ram memory processes with its inbuild techniques making use of virtualisation… Now virtualisation is noted as off limit. I guess this is because of the extra layer pf protection but i would want to ask of anyone recognise this? I don't need the vr technique for anything atm so its not that i feel limited of sorts

ScreenShot_20181222000028.png

I still need to secure funding for my X58 server project.

I'd like to get one tower to run a media/file server as well as Minecraft server.

Most likely will be using X58 since it's what I already have.